Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    KCL: Business Managment / Computer Science
    CASS: IFRM

What would give be a better chance in IB, (and of course getting an internship?)

ReputationRep:
    Pretty difficult. Even though it is an "investment" degree. It will probably teach you few analytical skills. In comparison to an Economics, Maths or other "maths related degrees"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazycake93)
    Pretty difficult. Even though it is an "investment" degree. It will probably teach you few analytical skills. In comparison to an Economics, Maths or other "maths related degrees"
    Ahh..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazycake93)
    Economics is just as bad. The fact that economics can be taught at any level is further proof of this. It is no competition for maths, stats, engineering, physics, etc....when it comes to analytical skills.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by student_london)
    Economics is just as bad. The fact that economics can be taught at any level is further proof of this. It is no competition for maths, stats, engineering, physics, etc....when it comes to analytical skills.
    science is taught at KS2, then it is split into chemistry, biology and physics at KS3. people then choose to do medicine, doesn't mean medicine is bad because it was taught at a lower/any level!

ReputationRep:
    Well clearly your wrong - if you were correct Economics Degrees would not be some of the most competitive, if not the most competitive to get into after Medicine.

ReputationRep:
    Oh please economics is all about analytical skills. It's nothing like A level Economics, there is much more to it. You can't really say that the economy is run without any analysis, that would be stupid, which makes saying Economics teaches you minimal analytical skills equally stupid.
    If anything, there is more analysis involved in Economics than any other science subject. You can only tell if you have a good understanding of the subject otherwise you might as well say anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by youngeN)
    Thoughts on Cass Business School and Kings College London and how difficult will it be to get into IB? (and how difficult it would be to get an internship at the top firms)

A-Level grades: AAAa incl Maths and Economics
    KCL (depending on the course) > Cass

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zweihander)
    Not for businessy/finance degrees.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zweihander)
    Hey dude... just wondering who the sig photo is? I'm sure i recognise the guy on the far right of the pictures tattoo's, but I just can't place what band it is

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NW86)
    Hey dude... just wondering who the sig photo is? I'm sure i recognise the guy on the far right of the pictures tattoo's, but I just can't place what band it is
    That's Brent Hinds. The band's Mastodon.

ReputationRep:
    At undergrad level Cass doesn't match up to its reputation, it's the postgrad courses which really make the school what it is.

For undergrad, King's > Cass.

ReputationRep:
    Where do you want to study more OP? I don't think either will give you an advantage over the other.

ReputationRep:
    Didn't Goldman say something about they wanted more applicants from KCL? I think Zweihander mentioned it once.

ReputationRep:
    Absolute rubbish. How many applied econometrics courses have you taken?

ReputationRep:
    Quite a few. Econometrics and time series analysis are a bit of my speciality tbh. (basic econ by gujariti, econometrics by greene, time seies by hamilton,....). These are challenging, but nothing compared to an introductory course on stochastic differential equations (see oksendal), which i found very tough.
    I would have assumed that any good quality finance degree will have 'similar' quantitative courses to economics.
    Giving you facts from ibanks. Why is that most quants are recruited from grandes ecoles in France and they are mostly all graduates in maths or engineering? In fact, most phds will be in maths, physics, engineering,.... You will have the odd exception here and there in econ or finance, but certainly not the norm. For quantitative associates programs, lse is not even a target.
    It is a fact that a phd in econ is inferior to a phd in maths, science,...when it comes to hard core analytical skills. How many econ graduates have decent coding/programming skills?
    My point was that any good quality finance/investment course will teach you as much analytical skills as Economics. Finance/Economics, are family subjects, one looks at maximising utility function, whereas the other one looks at maximising risk return.

ReputationRep:
    Quite a few. Econometrics and time series analysis are a bit of my speciality tbh. (basic econ by gujariti, econometrics by greene, time seies by hamilton,....). These are challenging, but nothing compared to an introductory course on stochastic differential equations (see oksendal), which i found very tough.
    I would have assumed that any good quality finance degree will have 'similar' quantitative courses to economics.
    Giving you facts from ibanks. Why is that most quants are recruited from grandes ecoles in France and they are mostly all graduates in maths or engineering? In fact, most phds will be in maths, physics, engineering,.... You will have the odd exception here and there in econ or finance, but certainly not the norm. For quantitative associates programs, lse is not even a target.
    It is a fact that a phd in econ is inferior to a phd in maths, science,...when it comes to hard core analytical skills. How many econ graduates have decent coding/programming skills?
    My point was that any good quality finance/investment course will teach you as much analytical skills as Economics. Finance/Economics, are family subjects, one looks at maximising utility function, whereas the other one looks at maximising risk return.
    Forgive me if I'm wrong, but where exactly does he say he wants to get into a quantitive role?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zahir)
    Forgive me if I'm wrong, but where exactly does he say he wants to get into a quantitive role?
    No where. I'm just saying that analytical skills in Economics are not superior to analytical skills in Finance/Investment type of degree. They're pretty much the same. I think I've pissed off too many Econ graduates.

ReputationRep:
    No where. I'm just saying that analytical skills in Economics are not superior to analytical skills in Finance/Investment type of degree. They're pretty much the same. I think I've pissed off too many Econ graduates.
    yes you have.

ReputationRep:
    Sticking to the question would be nice

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.