Turn on thread page Beta

Routine - help! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Because of my the ways my free periods at college fall, I am able to go to the gym for a couple of hours, 3 times a week (Mon/Wed/Fri). There is a basic gym across the road from college which I have signed up for (Its £1 for membership for students, with £1.50 every time you visit - so I'm not fussed if anyone thinks its crap)

However, I do not have a routine, I was hoping someone on here would be able to advise me on what to do?

I'll list what the gym has:
    - No free weights (I understand these are desirable in a gym)
    - some tread mills
    - a rowing machine
    - some exercise bikes
    - a couple of cross trainers

- Abs machine 30kg positive, 38kg negative
    - Lat Pulldown machine 25kg
    - Chest press machine 30kg
    - Fly machine 15kg
    - Arm curl machine 12kg
    - A leg machine. (Not sure what its called, theres a padded bar you put in front of your feet, set the mass you want to lift, and raise your legs?) 20kg
    - There is also some strange contraption in the corner that appears to be for twisting, but I don't have a clue what it is or how to use it.

I have posted my max lift/weight for each machine that I can lift.

I also have a barbell at home that I can use.

I'd like to get stronger, and get more toned/muscular, however I don't want to get big, as I'm quite short at 5'6, and I think it would just look wierd if I was uber built up.

It'd be nice if you could suggest what I should do in terms of reps, and which machines to do on the same day. I'd also like to know what I can do with the barbell, aside from squats/curls.

Sorry if I'm asking for too much.

EDIT: Also, is there anything in particular that I should do if I over do it? Or should I just leave it until the pain goes? (By over do it, I mean it starts to hurt the day after, and hangs around for a couple of days?)

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry about getting uber built up. It won't happen for you (without utter dedication in the gym and with diet)

You're going to want to split your workout up into muscle groups so you don't push muscles too hard (they need time to rest and repair to develop)

e.g.

mon triceps & shoulders
    tues back
    wed cardio (to break up the week)
    thurs biceps and chest
    fri legs

You could throw abs in whenever you want. Maybe mon, wed and fri?

Reps, you're going to want to do 4 sets, 12 reps then 10 reps then 8 reps then 6, increasing the weight each time. This is good for strength building.

bar bell can be used for dead lift to work the lower back (and thighs, depending on how you do it). If you have an E-Z bar you can do some very effective tricep & bicep workouts.

You can also use the barbell to work lats, by putting a bench at an angle and pulling it up, similar to how you would use a row machine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by j2s0n)
    Don't worry about getting uber built up. It won't happen for you (without utter dedication in the gym and with diet)

You're going to want to split your workout up into muscle groups so you don't push muscles too hard (they need time to rest and repair to develop)

e.g.

mon triceps & shoulders
    tues back
    wed cardio (to break up the week)
    thurs biceps and chest
    fri legs

You could throw abs in whenever you want. Maybe mon, wed and fri?

Reps, you're going to want to do 4 sets, 12 reps then 10 reps then 8 reps then 6, increasing the weight each time. This is good for strength building.

bar bell can be used for dead lift to work the lower back (and thighs, depending on how you do it). If you have an E-Z bar you can do some very effective tricep & bicep workouts.

You can also use the barbell to work lats, by putting a bench at an angle and pulling it up, similar to how you would use a row machine.
    What exercises can I do for my back? And what can I do other than the leg machine and squats, for legs? I'm not sure any of the machines actually train triceps, what could I do for these?

I can manage abs (in the form of sit ups/crunches) and cardio at home if needed, which would help to remove one session, then I would have to condense 2 of the other muscle groups in to one day. (I can only go 3 times a week)

Say I'm doing chest presses, what should the increase be per set? 12x20kg, 10x24kg, 8x 28kg then 6x30kg? Do I repeat this, or just do it once?

I'm so sorry about all the questions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by George K)
    What exercises can I do for my back? And what can I do other than the leg machine and squats, for legs? I'm not sure any of the machines actually train triceps, what could I do for these?

I can manage abs (in the form of sit ups/crunches) and cardio at home if needed, which would help to remove one session, then I would have to condense 2 of the other muscle groups in to one day. (I can only go 3 times a week)

Say I'm doing chest presses, what should the increase be per set? 12x20kg, 10x24kg, 8x 28kg then 6x30kg? Do I repeat this, or just do it once?

I'm so sorry about all the questions
    You don't typically repeat an exercise, because that's working the same area of the muscle, instead what you do is work (for example: the thurs night) the chest with a chest press, then do some bicep curls, then do some chest flies, then do preacher curls etc... It's about working different parts of a muscle to get the most out of it.

You'll see how much you need to increase it by, because you'll know if it's too easy. 12 reps means you should be able to manage 12. Not 15, or 20, but 12. So if you think you can push yourself more, add more weight.

A good exercise for back is pullups, especially wide grip pull ups. They're hard at first though.

Leg Machine and Squats work your quadriceps primarily. You can do straight-leg deadlifts to work your hamstrings, and you can stand with weights in your hand and roll onto your tip-toes to work your calves.

You may also have a machine which is dedicated to working your hammies, they're pretty standard.

You also have your adductor and abductor. You may have a machine to work these.

ReputationRep:
    You need to be basing your routine around free weights (which you've recognised), with minimal machine work.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/ Click on 'Find a Plan' (on the left). Should have all the information you need.

You say you want to get stronger... then you should probably also look into powerlifting/olympic lifting (you really do need free weights for this).

ReputationRep:
    You can get away without freeweights though. A few years ago I fractured my vertebrae and it's never healed (it's literally detatched and can be very painful with the slightest unlucky movement.

Therefore I keep freeweights to a minimum, the support the machines offer is fantastic. You really just have to work with what you've been given.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sil3nt_cha0s)
    You need to be basing your routine around free weights (which you've recognised), with minimal machine work.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/ Click on 'Find a Plan' (on the left). Should have all the information you need.

You say you want to get stronger... then you should probably also look into powerlifting/olympic lifting (you really do need free weights for this).
    It seems that everything aside from cardio on there is based around free weights, meaning that I should maybe consider a new gym, or alternatively get some dumbells to use at home and a bench.

The teen muscle building plan fits my frees perfectly however, and I can do the cardio at home by going jogging round town, but I'd have to replace tuesday with taekwondo.

When I say stronger, I don't mean I want to turn out like a tank, I just want to not be pathetic.

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.