Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Obviously, the answer is "get a job" but we can't find any that pay enough, due to the times.

The high school we go to (we're in Year 11) doesn't have a Sixth Form and the nearest college (which is crap) is 15 miles away, the nearest decent one is about 25 miles. So we figured the best thing to do was a rent a flat nearby with each other. How much would this cost and how would we be able to pay for it considering we're doing A-Levels after. Has anyone ever rented a flat whilst in Sixth Form. Our parents could help a little bit, I don't know about the other two friends but my mum said she wouldn't pay any more than 2/3 of what she does now.

ReputationRep:
    No one in their right mind will rent to someone under 18.

ReputationRep:
    Have you done some research into how much it would cost to rent a flat between the three of you per month in that area?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trigger)
    No one in their right mind will rent to someone under 18.
    Wrong. I know people who have rented flats at 16 and 17.

ReputationRep:
    If you can't find a job that pays enough/ can't cope then you're just going to have to suck it up.

ReputationRep:
    You can rent a student flat if you're 18, probably for about £320-400 per month depending on location. Then you'd have to pay bills on top - probably about £50 each per month for electric, gas, water and internet. So all in all it'd cost you more than you'd be able to afford without working about 4 days a week or getting a loan. It sounds quite impracticle to me, unless you have rich parents who'd be able to support you for most of it financially. You'd be better off trying to convince your parents to move or just commuting every day if it's worth it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by luke)
    Wrong. I know people who have rented flats at 16 and 17.
    How is that wrong? I didn't say they wouldn't get one, just that a landlord would be mad to rent to 3 kids.

ReputationRep:
    It'll be cheaper to get a well priced taxi between 3-4 people and split it.

Instead of paying in excess of £100+ each week each.

Or try Private Hire... there are plenty of drivers who will take you for less than that. Probably £35 a day there and back. Between 3 of you that's like £11-£12. Way cheaper than a flat and living costs. Don't try to grow up too quickly and get your own place. It ain't that fun.

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.