Can YOU fix the economy? Watch

...mo...
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi.

On TV and online we see politicians and "experts" have meeting upon metting and still can't come to a decision which will solve or even recover the financial mess that we are in.

Global leaders need new ideas that will work, so where else but TSR.
...mo...
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Personally I would press the "restart" button.

Oh wait. This is not a Playstation.
Wick3d
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ...mo...)
I will start with one suggestion.

The students of this country are the future. You need to invest today for a better tomorrow. How about lowering tuition fees so that it doesn't discourage people who are genuinely intelligent but are from a poor background.

If we want to get out of this mess we need the best brains in the country which are generally found at university. However they are being turned away due to the fees.

Lower fees = more bright students = better graduates = better decisions = better life for all
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1694323

Read this first.
Denzer
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Mint £100bn and invest it all into the Indian condom industry (as India gets richer they'll opt more for protected sex). The value of the pound falls, so we sell bare exports and get some awesome dividends from our indian condoms.
Economy fixed.
Tommyjw
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

The students of this country are the future. You need to invest today for a better tomorrow. How about lowering tuition fees so that it doesn't discourage people who are genuinely intelligent but are from a poor background.

If we want to get out of this mess we need the best brains in the country which are generally found at university. However they are being turned away due to the fees.

Lower fees = more bright students = better graduates = better decisions = better life for all
Yes, lets lower the cost of fee's thus either putting universities out of business or forcing subsidies again which will cause more economic problems including the opportunity cost wasted of putting money back in toi thata rea and the already large problem of having too many graduates. Your suggestion is astounding.
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Apart from raising fees increases student numbers so actually you need higher fees to encourage more people to go.
Tommyjw
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Quady)
Apart from raising fees increases student numbers so actually you need higher fees to encourage more people to go.
Uhh.. no.
philistine
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I just recently acquired a new socket set and a ring of Alan keys, so I'm tempted to say yes. Yes, absolutely.
TheEssence
Badges: 16
Report 7 years ago
Too complex for us to go into, as there are different models of growth , we could try export led, but then we would have to deflate the value of the pound dramatically, and even with that it would be hard to beat the likes of china unless we go lower than them and cheat..
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Tommyjw)
Uhh.. no.
Somebody doesn't like evidence

I don't know how this argument of 'increasing fees reduces student numbers' comes from, We've gone from full grants to fees of £3,500 per year and student numbers have increased throughout. And the class mix has become closer to normal through that time too.
Tommyjw
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Quady)
Somebody doesn't like evidence

I don't know how this argument of 'increasing fees reduces student numbers' comes from, We've gone from full grants to fees of £3,500 per year and student numbers have increased throughout. And the class mix has become closer to normal through that time too.
Rofl wut, you really have no clue do you?

The increase has increased applicants for this year because they want to avoid the fee's. It is that simple.
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Tommyjw)
Rofl wut, you really have no clue do you?

The increase has increased applicants for this year because they want to avoid the fee's. It is that simple.
I didn't say this year...

Applicants and student numbers (take 2010 entry) are higher now than when top up fees were brought in at £3,000, which were higher than when they were at £1,000 which were higher than when there were no fees but no grants, which were higher than when people were on full grants.

Look at the last 5, 10, 15 or 30 years, as student support has been withdrawn numbers have increased.
outoftownstrange
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Quady)
(Original post by Quady)
Look at the last 5, 10, 15 or 30 years, as student support has been withdrawn numbers have increased.
A correlation between two circumstances does not necessary show that one circumstance led to the other.
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by forrestgump19)
A correlation between two circumstances does not necessary show that one circumstance led to the other.
I know that

But there is a correlation, without evidence for the opposite being true (which was being asserted) then that does trump it.

If the best anyone can say is 'correlation and causality are not the same' then the opposing argument is pretty weak... at the very least they would have to explain the correlation - tricky especially when confronted with top-up fees.
outoftownstrange
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Quady)
I know that

But there is a correlation, without evidence for the opposite being true (which was being asserted) then that does trump it.

If the best anyone can say is 'correlation and causality are not the same' then the opposing argument is pretty weak... at the very least they would have to explain the correlation - tricky especially when confronted with top-up fees.
I see your point. I wasn't the person you were originally debating with, by the way. I just wanted to be sure you didn't think your argument was based on solid proof. No worries.
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by forrestgump19)
I see your point. I wasn't the person you were originally debating with, by the way. I just wanted to be sure you didn't think your argument was based on solid proof. No worries.
Nah I knew it was someone else.

Yup, I just find the line of argument fascinating as people take a while to cotton on, then realise they don't have ANY evidence for their assertion that raising fees reduces student numbers, they usually shut up then and wonder why they blindly roll out such nonsense without thinking about it

Ask anyone on here of pre-uni age moaning about the fee rise and how it will 'put people off uni' if they are not going because of the fee rise and all of them say 'no, no I'm going, I was thinking about other people'. Yes the other people who don't exist as the system is designed so its a one way bet.
Bill_Gates
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
We need greater monetary responsibility from Central Bankers, Bankers, Finance Ministers. We need to bring manufacturing back into the UK. We need to lower university fee's but lower the amount of graduates obtaining degrees. We need to bring financial responsibility back to the marketplace i.e Wreckless spending and borrowing should be punished by the free market i.e Greece.

All these problems wont be solved over night as this financial mess was created over many years!
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Anyway, my suggestions would be for each country/economic block to underwrite all debt, use some QE, say about a trillion quid globally over the next two years to add liquidity to the markets and drastically restructure the debt of the PIGs.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Fixing the economy in the short term would require austerity measures.

In the long term, we need to correct the housing deficit by giving tax breaks for homes built. We need to correct the trade deficit by lowering taxes in the primary and secondary sectors of the economy to increase exports while at the same time switching to renewables in order to lower imports (70% is energy/fuel). Fiscally we need a surpluss of close to 10% so that when the rest of the world goes into recession we can offer tax cuts and massive infrastructure projects to create jobs and keep the private sector moving along.

I have many more policies in detail (my own manifesto if you will) but those are the 3 greatest economic priorities for me.

I will add that we should reveiw all financial products and ban short selling as it only encourages negative sentemant.

In regards to students i do believe that knowledge is power however i also believe in an oppertunity cost and that universities need sustainable funding. I would increase tuition fees to a flat £9k however i would increase the level at which you get full grants/loans to £40k and partial loans/grants upto £80k, i would also scrap the rule that you stop paying after 30 years as this will only create a future black hole. That said i would halve tuition fees for those people that achieve a minimum A*A*A* at A level or equivelant and also halve tuition fees for those students that achieve a 1'1 in Maths/Sciences. This system would provide sustainable funding and also award success.
John Silver
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The economy exists in a finite world with finite resources. It could be that economic growth has come to its logical end
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

I LOVE a Black Friday deal (577)
47.18%
Nah, Black Friday is pointless (376)
30.74%
I don't have an opinion (270)
22.08%

Watched Threads