Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi there everyone.

I am sorry to be a pain but was wondering whether anyone in the know could help me with a quick question of mine.

I am going off to university in a couple of weeks (yes York is just that gay :P) and have decided to buy a desktop rather than a laptop for my room mainly because desktops are easier to upgrade so have a longer life span but also because I want to bring my Playstation 3 up with me for a bit of FIFA and love the idea of having a nice large screen that I can use for both my computer and console.

Basically I have about £150 (possibly even £200) to play with for the display (which I hope will be about 22 inches plus) and was set in my ways of getting a monitor with a HDMI input, however a few days ago a friend of mine (who is probably as clueless about these things as I am) said that I should get a television instead and just use an input for my computer with that.

So, if anyone can help, what are the benefits of both a monitor and a television for use with both the computer and console and which would people recommend getting?

Thanks in advance everyone!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    It's got to be a monitor if you're going to be using it with a desktop. You can't use a TV as a replacement for a monitor really, the resolution will probably be too low and hurt your eyes. Get a 1080p monitor with HDMI - they're pretty cheap now and work well with your PS3. A decent TV will cost you a lot more, and if you're not going to use the TV function anyway then it's not worth it.

ReputationRep:
    You can get TV/Monitor multipurpose LED screens these days, I got the LG M2250D and am very happy with it, I use it for my PC and ps3 as well and it's LED, 1080p etc it's £175 on amazon, £200 in curries :/

ReputationRep:
    It's possible to do it with a TV monitor. I'm genuinely typing this on a TV right now, connected to my laptop (using both screens). The problem is that distance is a bigger factor with a TV, it's only comfortable on your eyes to sit a metre or so away from it, yet that leaves the text too small to read, so I compensate by zooming in a bit. The next thing is the issue when you want to watch something on the TV and use the computer at the same time.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I'll also add I have the LG E2260V-PN, which cost me £100 from eBuyer. Very satisfied with it.

ReputationRep:
    If you get a 1080p TV then it will be the same res as most lager monitors (1920x1080).

A TV is more likely to have several HDMI inputs and will probably be easier to switch between inputs. It's probably also got slightly better sound.

A Monitor might be a bit cheaper and might be slightly better quality for use with a computer.

So far no ones mentioned TV licenses - If you buy a TV and you're only using it for a computer / PS3 you don't need a license (you only need the TV license to watch TV as it's broadcast)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: September 30, 2011
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.