Online Banking Issue Watch

green chica
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Basically, a few months ago my sister used my laptop and ended up downloading a keylogger. I was doing a standard scan on my computer when it came up with the keylogger and I just about blew a gasket because I had logged onto my online bank account while the keylogger was already installed on my laptop. I immediately went to my bank and got them to close my online account to make sure none of my money would be stolen. Then, I got one of my computer whiz friends to quarantine the keylogger.

So...my issue is when I got the bank to delete my online account, they gave me a phone number and a code to use if I wanted to reinstate my online account. This was several months ago and for a while I was paranoid about my information being on the web, so I didn't reinstate it, and then I basically forgot about online banking. However, it is now a necessity for me to have online banking, and I have lost the paper that says the phone number and code. I've torn apart my entire house and still can't find it.

Do you think it's possible for me to call/walk into the bank and see whether or not they will reinstate my online account without having the code? I don't want to come across as a scam artist, but at the same time I really need to have the online banking again. How should I approach this?
ExcessNeo
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by green chica)
Basically, a few months ago my sister used my laptop and ended up downloading a keylogger. I was doing a standard scan on my computer when it came up with the keylogger and I just about blew a gasket because I had logged onto my online bank account while the keylogger was already installed on my laptop. I immediately went to my bank and got them to close my online account to make sure none of my money would be stolen. Then, I got one of my computer whiz friends to quarantine the keylogger.

So...my issue is when I got the bank to delete my online account, they gave me a phone number and a code to use if I wanted to reinstate my online account. This was several months ago and for a while I was paranoid about my information being on the web, so I didn't reinstate it, and then I basically forgot about online banking. However, it is now a necessity for me to have online banking, and I have lost the paper that says the phone number and code. I've torn apart my entire house and still can't find it.

Do you think it's possible for me to call/walk into the bank and see whether or not they will reinstate my online account without having the code? I don't want to come across as a scam artist, but at the same time I really need to have the online banking again. How should I approach this?
I would say walk into your bank's high street branch, bring evidence that you are who you say you are and they should be able to reactivate online banking for you.
green chica
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by ExcessNeo)
I would say walk into your bank's high street branch, bring evidence that you are who you say you are and they should be able to reactivate online banking for you.
Thank you! This is reassuring.
united2000
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Which bank was it?
Nationwide and others use card readers now, so even if they got your customer number, they would need your card and the reader to withdraw any money. Plus the key given from the card reader is unqiue to each login so will be worthless to the crookes.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

I LOVE a Black Friday deal (274)
45.21%
Nah, Black Friday is pointless (179)
29.54%
I don't have an opinion (153)
25.25%

Watched Threads