Turn on thread page Beta

I have a few Indian friends (actually they're British, but for the sake of clarity, work with me here).

I just cannot believe half of the stuff I hear a lot of the time:
    - Not allowed to marry white 'British' men
    - Normal for them to get hit if they've done badly at school
    - Hysterical mother, and as they're girls, being forced to do a lot of work at home whereas their brothers sit around doing **** all
    - Getting sent back to India once a year to meet guys who they can potentially marry
    - The list goes on

At first I used to think 'fair enough'. A lot of the time when one of them was complaining about their family, another would just say 'well, you're Indian, you just have to take it'.

I'm starting to not agree with this. I don't care what the Asian way of doing things is.

In a British context, British norms should be applied. And British norms dictate that you marry who you want and you have the right to dispute being hit by your family.

I dunno guys. I just don't like the idea that parents would bring their kids up in the UK, but then prevent them from living as people from the UK would.

ReputationRep:
    why do even bother? it's not ur problem it's THEIR problem

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ms14v07)
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    ^ My hypothesis

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ms14v07)
    Anyone with a sense of justice will make it their problem.

ReputationRep:
    I have a few Indian friends (actually they're British, but for the sake of clarity, work with me here).

- Hysterical mother, and as they're girls, being forced to do a lot of work at home whereas their brothers sit around doing **** all
    - Getting sent back to India once a year to meet guys who they can potentially marry
    - The list goes on

At first I used to think 'fair enough'. A lot of the time when one of them was complaining about their family, another would just say 'well, you're Indian, you just have to take it'.

I'm starting to not agree with this. I don't care what the Asian way of doing things is.

In a British context, British norms should be applied. And British norms dictate that you marry who you want and you have the right to dispute being hit by your family.

I dunno guys. I just don't like the idea that parents would bring their kids up in the UK, but then prevent them from living as people from the UK would.
    You're full of crap. HOW DARE YOU think you can judge a community of over 2 MILLION just because you have a ''few'' British Indian friends.

I'm a British Indian man, and for your information:

- Some of the women in my extended family have married white and black men or women, no one gives a crap.
    - No one has ever been hit, period.
    - My mother is not hysterical, and I and my brother regularly have to do chores, the same as my sister.
    - Whenever the men or women in my family are looking to get married, we look for BRITISH INDIANS, NOT PEOPLE FROM INDIA.

You're not British Indian and you know NOTHING about our community, so shut your mouth and mind your own f***ing business. Ignorant Douchebag.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a British Indian male. I agree that we shouldn't have to put up with crap simply because it's "What Indians do" but when your parents are so inflexible and prejudiced your choices are very limited. If your parents do not listen to reason, then either you can comply with them or you can defy them and estrange yourself from them. Most kids I know opt for the former, I will end up having to choose the latter.

(Original post by bolly_mad)
    You're full of crap. HOW DARE YOU think you can judge a community of over 2 MILLION just because you have a ''few'' British Indian friends.

- Some of the women in my extended family have married white and black men or women, no one gives a crap.
    - My mother is not hysterical, and I and my brother regularly have to do chores, the same as my sister.
    - Whenever the men or women in my family are looking to get married, we look for BRITISH INDIANS, NOT PEOPLE FROM INDIA.

You're not British Indian and you know NOTHING about our community, so shut your mouth and mind your own f***ing business. Ignorant Douchebag.
    I think you're missing the point. The point of this thread is that some people think it's okay to obey customs which are strenuous or controlling or even abusive simply because it's part of the culture. Also, you're making as many generalisations as the OP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by innerhollow)
    I'm a British Indian male. I agree that we shouldn't have to put up with crap simply because it's "What Indians do" but when your parents are so inflexible and prejudiced your choices are very limited. If your parents do not listen to reason, then either you can comply with them or you can defy them and estrange yourself from them. Most kids I know opt for the former, I will end up having to choose the latter.

I think you're missing the point. The point of this thread is that some people think it's okay to obey customs which are strenuous or controlling or even abusive simply because it's part of the culture. Also, you're making as many generalisations as the OP.
    I have a few white friends (actually they're British, but for the sake of clarity, work with me here).

I just cannot believe half of the stuff I see a lot of the time:
    - Always drinking themselves stupid and puking/urinating on the pavement.
    - Normal for them to be proud that they've done badly at school
    - Sleeping with anyone and spreading STD's
    - Racist parents and grandparents, and thinking it's acceptable and cool to be so themselves.
    - Talk about how they want to emigrate to US, Australia and Canada, while whining about immigrants themselves.
    - The list goes on

At first I used to think 'fair enough'. A lot of the time when one of them was complaining, another would just say 'well, we're white, that's just the way we are'.

I'm starting to not agree with this. I don't care what the white way of doing things is.....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

See what I did there. It's easy to stereotype others. If you want to accept being stereotyped that's up to you, but I have self-respect and I wont stand for it. Just because your Indian parents are like that, doesn't mean all Indian parents are like that.

ReputationRep:
    Agreed people need to start calling them out on their hypocrisy and backwards double standards.

ReputationRep:
    This sort of stuff will eventually die out as the older generations pass away.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bolly_mad)

hear hear......

honestly

ReputationRep:
    You need to understand that every family is different.

ReputationRep:

- The list goes on

'british norms' do not dictate freedom, to have the audactity to say such a thing... its human nature to have freedom, therefore most people who NATRUALLY believe in freedom will happen to be british, since its enshrined in english law.

anyway to your point, i to some extent know what you mean,,, but i can assure you the numbers of such indian famillies is dwindeling, in other words thats not the norm in asian famillies.

honestly

ReputationRep:
    Not all Asian parents are like that. Sometimes I don't agree with some of my Asian friends parents' methods however, some of the things they do are exactly what my parents do. One of my friends was not allowed to move out of London so I talked to her and her mum about it so she allowed my friend to apply to a uni outside London.

ReputationRep:
    I totally agree with this. what is the point of bringing them to a new country with a new way of life if you refuse to let them adopt said way of life?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FrigidSymphony)
    Anyone with a sense of justice will make it their problem.
    There's no such thing as justice, perhaps your sense of nonsense is what you mean dear.

ReputationRep:
    People like you described are pathetic, why move countries simply to form a mini-community? It is totally disrespectful to the nation that allowed you to enter.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    In a British context, British norms should be applied.
    Based on this do you think if a 'British' family moves to India they should bring up their children like Indian people do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by innerhollow)
    I think you're missing the point. The point of this thread is that some people think it's okay to obey customs which are strenuous or controlling or even abusive simply because it's part of the culture.
    Fair enough. I think the bigger point is that it's ok to shut down conversations because of cultural difference.

Also, you're making as many generalisations as the OP.
    Generalizing =/= stereotyping.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ferdowsi)
    People like you described are pathetic, why move countries simply to form a mini-community? It is totally disrespectful to the nation that allowed you to enter.
    Say that to the Brit expats in Spain. F***ing hypocrite.

ReputationRep:
    I agree. Pakistanis tend to be worse.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.