The Student Room Group

Debenhams Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by xOsugaplumfairy
I just got the job! :smile:
I'm an Xmas Sales Adviser in the woman's department,
I start in the middle of November though which is a bit strange cos most people here are starting in october.. lol

Yeah I'm November too, but in electronics and homeware I think.
Has anyone recently gotten the job for the Trafford Centre store?
Reply 382
Original post by trasitszy
I had my first phone interveiw today too- It was not too bad and I passed it so I am sure you will!!
The first bit was easy, just do you have criminal offences, the right to work in the UK etc. Just wherever you are have your National insurance number ready because I was at college on a free lesson during mine and I didn't have it with me! She was fine with it, but it was rather embarrassing to say the least!
Anyway, then she asked some more searching questions: they were "how would you deliver great customer service" "why do you want to work in the restaurant" "what would you do if someone had left lots of their meal and didn't look very happy" and that kind of thing. It's all in this post basically! Keep calm and confident and you will be fine.

Thank you for your help! I passed :smile:
Have you been to your assessment day? I really don't know what to expect as its for a restaurant role rather than sales.
Hi, so i've got my group and 1-1 interviews later on today at 3pm. I'm feeling pretty confident and looking forward to it. I'm just wondering if anyone could help me with what questions to ask after the 1-1, when they say 'do you have any questions?' i know it's good to ask questions as it shows you're genuinely interested but i just never know what to ask! One thing i'm going to ask is 'is there chance for overtime?' as i need as many hours as possible.

Any help is much appreciated!
Thanks!!
Reply 384
Original post by samegreeneyes
There are a couple threads on Debenhams phone interviews already, but none of them say anything about a restaurant assistant position. I have my phone interview tomorrow and as I have no experience in a restaurant, im scared I wont be able to answer anything! What questions do they ask?

Please someone say they've gone through the interview and whatever comes after! Help mee haha:colondollar:

How did your interview go?
Did you get through to the assessment? If so, what did it entail? I've got one for a restaurant assistant soon.
Hey all, starting as a christmas temp on Friday and looking forward to it. What should I wear to my induction? Or does it not matter and they give you a uniform right away?

Also, its only an 8hr per week contract despite them advertising 20hrs. Does there tend to be plenty of overtime available?
Hi,

So i've been offered 12 hours/week at debenhams, i was wondering if anyone could give me an idea of the kind of shift patter/rota i'd be given. I don't have my induction for a couple of weeks yet and the guy who makes the rotas isn't available for a couple of days.

Thanks.
Hey everyone :smile:

Just want to say thanks to everyone for the tips and help, it was invaluable.

Quick question; the lady who interviewed me on the telephone was concerned that there wasn't space at one of the recruitment session-thingies, so she said I was successful but didn't give me a time and place for further instructions. What should I do? Do I expect a call back any time soon?

I applied for the Xmas Temp Sales Advisor, but she said that I would be good at the Restaurant Assistant position, too.

I'm really confused because my friend had a telephone interview for the same position, and she is going to the group session thing in a few days, yet I got told differently.

Any help would be appreciated! :unsure: :confused:
I just got my welcome pack in the mail & my pay is £4.98 an hour for Xmas Temp Sales Adviser :frown:
I was really expecting more to be honest..
If I get a permanent job will my pay increase when I turn 18 in january?
I just got my welcome pack in the mail & my pay is £4.98 an hour for Xmas Temp Sales Adviser :frown:

Have you got any prior experience? I had a similarish thing. The guy who interviewed me told me the pay rates were good, but when I got my offer, it was 5.89, which is 30p below the National Minimum Wage for over 21s!!

I was a bit peeved because I had to ring them and ask why. I assume it was just a mistake, but they raised my pay to 6.49 once I'd told them.

I know 4.98 is the NMW for 18-20 so you might get a rise when you turn 18. Unfortunately the NMW is only 3.68 for under 18s so on the one hand you are quite a bit above that!! On the other hand its still not a huge amount.
(edited 11 years ago)
Went for an interview last Sunday but not heard back yet, the wait is killing me! I jump every time the phone rings.

Worse still, seen that someone I vaguely know on facebook went for an interview at the same store a few days after me, and they got a phone back today, saying they got the job.

Also wanted to say thanks to everyone who posted on this thread, it helped me prepare for my interview:

My experience:
After submitting our passports to be photocopied, a group of about 12 of us were taken through the board room, where there were name placards set out.

We listened to a brief introduction to working at Debenhams from the staff, then we had to pair up with the perosn next to us and find out about them - their name, why they wanted to work for Debenhams and an interesting fact about them. We then had to present this information about each other to the group.
(unfortunately the boy next to me was unable to remember my name, even though it was a name card in front of me. This was embarrassing! I hope it didn't go against my application - I remembered everything about him)

After this we had to split into groups of three and answer some questions on a sheet and present them to everyone. These questions were asking who Debenham's main competitors are, and how Debenhams is better etc.

Next we had to sit out in the hall and were called one by one for the interviews. The staff were lovely and the questions weren't too difficult; just why do you want to work at Debenhams etc.

So my advice is to prepare some answers on paper for the telephone interview, and to stay calm for the group and one on one. Smile and act friendly towards everyone, and act confident when giving the presentations.

Here's hoping they phone me soon, good luck to everyone who's going for interviews!
Woop got an xmas temp job 11 days after my interview :biggrin: thought the call was never coming!
Hey, Just wondering if anyone who has already done the group interview has any advice on how to make yourself stand out on the day? I'm only 16 and worried that my lack of experience will go against me, so any advice would be much appreciated! :smile:
Original post by nixonsjellybeans
Woop got an xmas temp job 11 days after my interview :biggrin: thought the call was never coming!

congrats! :-) i had my interview about a week ago now and I'm really not sure whether or not I have a chance. I hope so, but who knows :biggrin:
Original post by Detestable Shrew
Hey all, starting as a christmas temp on Friday and looking forward to it. What should I wear to my induction? Or does it not matter and they give you a uniform right away?

Also, its only an 8hr per week contract despite them advertising 20hrs. Does there tend to be plenty of overtime available?

When I was a christmas temp there last year, they never offered us uniform, and we had to wear all black (smart clothes). If they do offer you uniform they have to order it in so make sure you have smart clothes to wear till then.
My contract was 12 hours and I always did at least 16, normally 20 and up to 30 hours a couple of weeks.
Reply 395
I got offered a Christmas position a few hours after interview :biggrin: Induction next week. On accessories :smile:
Original post by Detestable Shrew

Smart black trousers, black shoes and a white/black shirt would be suitable. You may or may not get a uniform when you start working there properly, at the store I work most people wear their own clothes (but must look smart!).

Certainly where I work there is loads of overtime, it depends on how much they have to spend on staffing and how many people are actually on the rota for a given time.

You're getting the national minimum wage for the 18-20 age bracket so you're getting more money than the legal requirement at 17, I would be thankful for that! I doubt it will increase again when you turn 18 though, since they are already paying you what the law states they must give you.
Original post by andromeda24
congrats! :-) i had my interview about a week ago now and I'm really not sure whether or not I have a chance. I hope so, but who knows :biggrin:

Fingers crossed :biggrin: just shows that even after a week they haven't wrote you off yet :smile:
Reply 399
hie everyone!i just had a telephone interview for Xmas temp,Leeds store today.i though i did OK,but the lady said i would be contacted within 10 days with the results,which sounds like a no to me! .to be honest,i was expecting to be told i had gotten through to the next stage,WITH ALL THE PREPARATION I PUT IN!Well,has anyone been contacted back after the telephone interview with a yes,or should i just move on?please someone answer:frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending