Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm posting on behalf of my girlfriend. She was accepted at Warwick University a while ago but never recieved any further correspondence. She called them about a month ago and was told that there was no record of her. She then recieved an email the next day saying that the had been an administration problem and she could enroll. She was supposed to enroll today but received a phone call saying that her uni place has now been refused. No reason was given as far as I know. (I'm at work so I haven't had a chance to speak to her properly.)

She didn't pursue getting a place at any other university since she was told that she had been accepted in to Warwick. She has a five year old daughter and was studying at college whilst on benefits, she has now cancelled said benefits because her student loan is supposed to be coming through this month.

Is the University allowed to do this? Can we just write to the registrar and threaten to sue them unless they re-accept her? Her course is supposed to start next week. What should we do?

Thanks,

Joe

ReputationRep:
    Was she accepted on UCAS track? If so they have to take her

ReputationRep:
    No. She did an access course and applied through the college.

Joe

ReputationRep:
    wow this is insane. Did she receive any piece of official documentation saying she was accepted? Usually, schools send out an email and a hard copy of the offer letter.

If she has either, they have to take her cause an offer is a legal contract and they can't just back out of it whenever they feel like it.

But of course, this is assuming that they didn't have a reason to. If they rescinded the offer due to a valid reason then that's a different story.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoeS88)
    Hi,

I'm posting on behalf of my girlfriend. She was accepted at Warwick University a while ago but never recieved any further correspondence. She called them about a month ago and was told that there was no record of her. She then recieved an email the next day saying that the had been an administration problem and she could enroll. She was supposed to enroll today but received a phone call saying that her uni place has now been refused. No reason was given as far as I know. (I'm at work so I haven't had a chance to speak to her properly.)

She didn't pursue getting a place at any other university since she was told that she had been accepted in to Warwick. She has a five year old daughter and was studying at college whilst on benefits, she has now cancelled said benefits because her student loan is supposed to be coming through this month.

Is the University allowed to do this? Can we just write to the registrar and threaten to sue them unless they re-accept her? Her course is supposed to start next week. What should we do?

Thanks,

Joe
    Suing them will cost you a lot of money. Trying applying for mediation and convince them that the error was on their side and to re-accept your girlfriend.

ReputationRep:
    If you have it in writing she was accepted, you have a case. If it was just verbal its your gf's fault, she should have made sure something was in writing, this is the problem with access courses, it's probably a small percentage of people but no uni would get away with this for someone doing A Levels because it's all through UCAS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .eXe)
    wow this is insane. Did she receive any piece of official documentation saying she was accepted? Usually, schools send out an email and a hard copy of the offer letter.

If she has either, they have to take her cause an offer is a legal contract and they can't just back out of it whenever they feel like it.

But of course, this is assuming that they didn't have a reason to. If they rescinded the offer due to a valid reason then that's a different story.
    She got a letter from the person who interviewed her which was approved by the chair of the committe for the admission of students. I'm not sure if the interviewer worked for the uni or not.

She then got an email from the uni saying that she could enroll. I've text her to see if the email had any kind of disclaimer on it.

Thanks,

Joe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OLawyer)
    Suing them will cost you a lot of money. Trying applying for mediation and convince them that the error was on their side and to re-accept your girlfriend.
    Thanks, I'll look it to that. Hopefuly just the threat will make them accept her.

Joe

ReputationRep:
    that email, about the registration problem saying she could enroll, is your 'acceptance' form,

ReputationRep:
    Here is the email that she recieved after the (first) admin messup, note that the course is half at Coventry City College and half at Warwick Uni. This is the first time that I have read this email and it seems that the issue is that the college is saying she has been accepted and the Uni saying that she hasn't (but it is the same course.) I also noticed that the disclaimer has the standard "any opinions expressed in this communication are not necessarily those etc" do we still have a case?

Hi ******

That's great news! Sorry, there must have been a break down in communication at the university.

Here is the induction and enrolment information including the timetable.

Dear Student,

Congratulations on your offer of a place on the BA Early Childhood Studies 2 + 2 programme. On behalf of the team we very much look forward to you joining us here at City College, for your first two years of study.

Please find the attached timetable which has now been confirmed. In addition to the taught sessions outlined on the timetable, you need to undertake additional study time which includes meeting your fellow students outside of lesson time.

For the first two years of the programme, you will be both a City College and University of Warwick student. This will enable you to access resources on both sites although all teaching will take place at the college. Here are the induction and enrolment arrangements to both college and university.

City College induction and enrolment - your first lesson starts on Monday 3rd October. Please meet me in the foyer of North building at 1.00pm. North building is next to the one where your interview took place. This will be an opportunity for you to get to know your fellow students and college and to start the enrolment process.

If you have had a CRB check within the last three years please bring the original copy and if not, ensure you bring the appropriate ID and provision to pay online. Further details on what constitutes appropriate ID can be found on the CRB website.

The University of Warwick enrolment - will take place at 10.00am on Tuesday the 4th October in Rootes Social Building on the main campus and completed within an hour. Please can you ensure you are able to attend and meet me at 9.45am in the foyer of the building so we can proceed together to the enrolment room. The Rootes Social Building is next to Costa coffee shop on the main campus.

To help with queues on the day, students are being encouraged to enrol online with the University before the 4th October – this will relieve the pressure on enrolment staff and will allow you to pick up your university cards quickly. Please see the following links for the latest information on online enrolment:
    http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/a...ices/enrolment

The University of Warwick induction - this is the process by which you are introduced to the Director of the programme and the services that the university offers. Induction is scheduled to take place on Monday 10th October between 10.15am and 2.15pm in the Student union. A campus tour will follow after 2.15pm. I am awaiting confirmation from the University regarding the date, but please assume it will go ahead and I will let you know, should there be a change. I will point out where the Union is when we are at the university on the 4th. You will not be expected to attend City College on this day.

I very much look forward to welcoming you to the college and to the Early Childhood Studies degree programme on the 3rd. If you have any queries in the meantime, then please do not hesitate to contact me. Please acknowledge receipt by email, that you have received this information.

Kind regards
    BA Early Childhood Studies - 2 + 2 - Course Organiser

City College Coventry - Raising the Standard - Responding to Diversity - Taking Education Further

To View the College Disclaimer Please click Here<http://www.covcollege.ac.uk/Documents/Disclaimer/index.html>

[http://www.covcollege.ac.uk/Document...ccc_sig_3.jpg]

ReputationRep:
    I've posted the email but it has to wait for a moderator to accept it, probably because it had links in it. The basis of the problem seems to be that the course is at both Warwick Uni and Coventry College.

Her interviewer sent her a letter saying that she got in.
    The college (after their admin problem) said that she got in.
    Warwick Uni is saying that the letter from her interviewer was only a recommendation (but it clearly says that she was accepted and to wait for the enrollment papers.)

My guess is that she wasn't put on to the system properly and the course has now been over subscribed and they are trying to back out.

Joe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Billy Bryant)
    If you have it in writing she was accepted, you have a case. If it was just verbal its your gf's fault, she should have made sure something was in writing, this is the problem with access courses, it's probably a small percentage of people but no uni would get away with this for someone doing A Levels because it's all through UCAS.
    Access is also through UCAS mate.

ReputationRep:
    I've posted the email but it has to wait for a moderator to accept it, probably because it had links in it. The basis of the problem seems to be that the course is at both Warwick Uni and Coventry College.

Her interviewer sent her a letter saying that she got in.
    The college (after their admin problem) said that she got in.
    Warwick Uni is saying that the letter from her interviewer was only a recommendation (but it clearly says that she was accepted and to wait for the enrollment papers.)

My guess is that she wasn't put on to the system properly and the course has now been over subscribed and they are trying to back out.

Joe
    I suspect they may offer her a deferred place for next year, if you are successful in your attempt. Taking on an extra person this year will net them a £10,000 fine from the government, so they won't be keen.

ReputationRep:
    She has read her acceptance letter over the phone to a friend who is a solicitor and she says that it is a binding contract. Hopefully the course isn't full!

Joe

ReputationRep:
    She has read her acceptance letter over the phone to a friend who is a solicitor and she says that it is a binding contract. Hopefully the course isn't full!

Joe
    I hope so too, for her sake, but it will be a most unusual course at Warwick if it isn't.

ReputationRep:
    disappointing that a school doesn't have its act together. Good thing I havent applied there

ReputationRep:
    Aslong as she has proof of acceptance they have to let her in but I don't know how your girlfriend has gone about applying to uni as most apply through UCAS now and the acceptance letter comes from the uni to UCAS then to the applicant. Good Luck hope you get it sorted

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonesy12)
    Access is also through UCAS mate.
    but not in all cases, such as this one

ReputationRep:
    Right, we have emailed the director of the Center for Lifelong Learning. Apparently this is the first that he has heard of it so it sounds like someone dropped the ball and didn't want to tell their boss! My girlfriend and my mum (who knows people in the local papers) are going to go in and kick some ass later on today if it doesn't get resolved.

I typed up the letter of acceptance, would you say that this counts as a letter of acceptance?

Dear Miss ****** ********,

I am writing with regard to your recent application for a place on the BA honours degree in early childhood studies 2+2 route.

I am pleased to inform you that you admission to the above name course from October 2011 has been approved by the chair of committee for the admission of students to courses of study. I have informed our center for life long learning and they will be in contact with you to discuss enrolment and other things.
    May I take this opportunity to wish you all the best in your future academic endeavors.

Yours Sincerely,

Admission Officer

ReputationRep:
    Just a tip mate might be worth removing the lecturers names as well.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.