Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know whether money owed from 2 different courses all goes into 1 big pot or 2 separate ones?

For example, if you owed £25000 for your undergraduate course and £9000 for your PGCE how would the repayment work? Especially under 2 different student finance systems, one where you start repaying above £15000 income and the other above £21000. Would you only ever pay 9% of your income towards both or either or then 9% of your income towards one and 9% of your income for the other (so 18%).

Obviously it makes a difference as to how fast you repay and whether any debt still owed gets wiped after 25 (resp. 30) years.

ReputationRep:
    the later debt won't get wiped out until 30 years have elapsed.
    the formerd debt kicks in at £15K earnings which continue until such time as the earlier debt is paid off or is written off leaving the second debt to be paid off at the terms agreed of over £21K for a further 5 years.

This is an interesting conumdrum because of the course the second debt accrues real interest, likely to end up at RPI + 3%, unlike the former debt.

ReputationRep:
    I have this problem now....I did my undergrad under the pre 2006 system, and that debt stays with me til I'm 60. I then have my PGCE debt which was under the current system which wipes after 25 years.

Both have the same interest and both I start paying at £15k (I'm 99% sure you will never pay 18% back), the only difference is one will wipe if it's still there in 25 years time, the other won't, it'll stay til I'm 60. I'm assuming (and hoping) payments I make will be taken off the loan I took out first, but I don't know.

ReputationRep:
    I guess what I'm looking to know is do you only start repaying the debt for the later course after you've repayed the earlier one in full or it has been wiped and if so, does the 30 years before it's wiped start from the year after you finish the later course or after you've finished repaying the other (in the former case, there could be only 5 years before the debt is wiped as the first loan could extend up to a max of 25 years while the 2nd is up to 30 years)

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.