Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello

I'm a new maths student, do I need to buy any text books?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Wait until the second hand book sale then buy a few, get the rest for the library when you need them.
    That's what I'm doing.

ReputationRep:
    No, the library has loads of copies of pretty much everything you might need. If you're really desperate to make fast and loose with your dollar, it's better to try things in the library then buy 'em if you like 'em. But honestly you really needn't buy anything. Like, don't buy Mary Hart for analysis, for example.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hathlan)
    No, the library has loads of copies of pretty much everything you might need. If you're really desperate to make fast and loose with your dollar, it's better to try things in the library then buy 'em if you like 'em. But honestly you really needn't buy anything. Like, don't buy Mary Hart for analysis, for example.
    There are many reasons for not buying Mary Hart.

It's ****.

ReputationRep:
    It is not a must to buy any textbooks/references in 1st year.

But if you are curious enough to read more/further, I would recommend the following:

Analysis 1+2:
    - Introduction to Real Analysis by Bartle (rich in content/examples, lack exercise)
    - A Problem Book in Real Analysis by Aksoy (as the name suggested, a book of problems.)

Differential Equation:
    - The one recommended by Dave (as he will follow that book quite closely).

Linear Algebra:
    - Linear Algebra by Stephen H.Friedberg (Excellent collection of exercises and useful in Algebra 1)

Geometry and Motion:
    - No particular book is outstanding in the market (at elementary level); consulting any books on PYDC wld be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ch1pp0)
    Wait until the second hand book sale then buy a few, get the rest for the library when you need them.
    That's what I'm doing.
    WHen is the 2nd hand book sale?

Thanks everyone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chronicl3)
    WHen is the 2nd hand book sale?

Thanks everyone
    Sunday 9th and Monday 10th October, 10am - 4pm, The Copper Rooms

(I wish I knew where the copper rooms are though.)

Edit: Thanks James

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ch1pp0)
    Sunday 9th and Monday 10th October, 10am - 4pm, The Copper Rooms

(I wish I knew where the copper rooms are though.)
    In the SU building, ground floor.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 1, 2011
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.