Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    I think she would need to get a international drivers licence and investigate getting a british licence eventually because you can only drive on a foreign licence in this country for a maximum of 1 year, but how the police could ever enforce that if the car is insured.

It might be cheaper for her to buy a UK car and tax/insure/MOT that than do the same to an import which will be very expensive. But she could ring up insurance companies to get a quote, I doubt you could do it online.

Check out the directgov website for more info on foreign drivers licences.

Graham

ReputationRep:
    The car can be insured on its chassis number until it gets UK plates. I think there's some sort of registration process to give the car UK plates for tax/MOT reasons, and must be done within a year of being in the UK. The driver will have to do something similar to get a British licence.

Don't know the exact details of it all, other than it's possible but probably a right arseache. Is she particularly attached to this car? Flogging it at home (or somewhere else in LHD EU) and buying something over here would be a lot easier and probably cheaper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    I think she would need to get a international drivers licence and investigate getting a british licence eventually because you can only drive on a foreign licence in this country for a maximum of 1 year, but how the police could ever enforce that if the car is insured.

It might be cheaper for her to buy a UK car and tax/insure/MOT that than do the same to an import which will be very expensive. But she could ring up insurance companies to get a quote, I doubt you could do it online.

Check out the directgov website for more info on foreign drivers licences.

Graham
    If you hold a EU licence you can drive in the UK as long as you want. Agree with the rest of your post.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    (Original post by HumorousGent.)
    (Original post by Dan9878)
    thankyou, hombres. <3

according to here she can drive in gb with her licence,so this is no problem.....what confuses is about her car. but now she decides,just for avoiding hassle, to purchase a gb registered car to keep for a few years, and then sell it when she goes back. meaning the bmw will be left in the garage back at her home........for 4 years.....
    ......all alone......with nobody to play with it.....or care for it....... :emo:

i just am wonder with how i see so many romanian-, bulgarian-,polish- and lithuanian-registered cars, which i hope are behaving legally (insured for use here,etc)...maybe if i see somebody emerge from such a car in the future i will interrogate them? ;D
    is good to take time to read up on this though! makes my uni lunch break interesting :} british student from my class plans to bring over a mk1 renault twingo from france to set up some kind of twingo-only track event.......which could be interesting. will ask for how he proposes to cover the car. i have a love for mk1 twingos........... O.O'

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.