Turn on thread page Beta

There is nothing wrong with speeding that is sensible watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I mean, on a straight motorway what is wrong with doing 120mph on the clock?

It just gets you to the place faster and gets you out of other peoples way and stops congestion. Its obvious.

Lower limits = more time spent on that stretch of road = more cars on that road = congestion = more time taken = people late for work = lack of productivity = bad on the economy.

What is so bad about it?

In a built up area where there could be a child popping out in between cars or playing in the street yes speeding is dumb and dangerous but on a motorway there is nothing wrong with it whatsoever. I always speed. In my Merc I've hit 160mph on a few occasions and I've been pulled and I told the police this and they just gave me a stern telling off saying that other officers would feel obliged to strictly enforce the law in practice, with which i can accept.

Anyone agree that sensible speeding is alright? :cool:

ReputationRep:
    There is, actually. There is something called "the unexpected". Or do you have really sharp reflexes, instant braking, no braking distances and a car that will not skid/lock if you slam the brakes due to something coming up that you didn't expect?

You can never expect what's ahead. The only thing you can do is prepare for the eventually, and drastically increasing your braking distance definitely isn't a way of doing that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by armador)
    There is, actually. There is something called "the unexpected". Or do you have really sharp reflexes, instant braking, no braking distances and a car that will not skid/lock if you slam the brakes due to something coming up that you didn't expect?

You can never expect what's ahead. The only thing you can do is prepare for the eventually, and drastically increasing your braking distance definitely isn't a way of doing that.
    You could say that at ANY speed though. The fact is, someone driving at 90mph could be just as good at stopping a vehicle over distance as you are at 70mph. Certain cars alter stopping distances and so forth as well.

As an extra F2 driver I Know mate. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    And people like you will kill someone else and get unscathed. I do hope that doesn't happen.

and as to this:
    Lower limits = more time spent on that stretch of road = more cars on that road = congestion = more time taken = people late for work = lack of productivity = bad on the economy.

What utter bull****. Bad on the economy? How can work out that over peoples lives, peoples lives who you will end up killing with that attitude. Anyone who seriously thinks speeding is a good thing should never be allowed into a motor vehicle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jb9191)

It just gets you to the place faster and gets you out of other peoples way and stops congestion. Its obvious.

What is so bad about it?

In a built up area where there could be a child popping out in between cars or playing in the street yes speeding is dumb and dangerous but on a motorway there is nothing wrong with it whatsoever. I always speed. In my Merc I've hit 160mph on a few occasions and I've been pulled and I told the police this and they just gave me a stern telling off saying that other officers would feel obliged to strictly enforce the law in practice, with which i can accept.

no.

its better to be 5 minutes late in this world than 50 years early in the next.

ReputationRep:
    sorry i felt i had to post on here.... you GENUINELY think there is absolutely no increase in danger when going 160 on a motorway??

you realise a very small increase in speed leads to a big increase in stopping distance (remember your reflexes are included, half a second delay at 160mph is much further than half a second at 70)

also you cant know there wont be someone who has broken down / skidded / crashed / a wild animal or w/e on the road...

i speed a fair amount il admit but not stupidly and making the statements you have above is just plain idiotic mate

ReputationRep:
    Troll.
    No policeman in Britain would stop someone after hitting 160mph and let them go with a telling off, no matter how "stern".
    Any offence above 100mph is an automatic ban, ffs.

ReputationRep:

What is so bad about it?

Actually, it's not the speed of an individual car, it is the flow rate that is important. If you have one car gunning it at 100 mph and is coming towards a car at 70 in the outside lane, the slower car will move into the middle lane and that will become congested.

The speed limit should be lowered to improve over all flow of traffic, and the fact that cars are far more environmentally friendly going at 60 rather than 70 and dramatically more so than 80.

ReputationRep:
    You could say that at ANY speed though. The fact is, someone driving at 90mph could be just as good at stopping a vehicle over distance as you are at 70mph. Certain cars alter stopping distances and so forth as well.

As an extra F2 driver I Know mate. :cool:
    Stopping distance models are usually done using a quadratic. Roughly speaking, 2x the speed, 4x the braking distance.

If something unexpected happens and you need to react to it, it usually happens within 100yds or so. Let's assume that you need to brake to avoid a large piece of debris rolled off a truck (hypothetical situation, which *HINT* happened to me once on the A34). You're 100yds behind the lorry, then suddenly, you see this massive great piece of plastic coming out of it.

You're at 70mph. Reaction time of 1s makes you travel 31m, followed by the actual braking, done under normal conditions (mu=0.5 for the average tyres), means that you'll take a total of 81m to stop, or 88 yards. You've beaten it!

You're now at 90mph. Reaction time of 1s makes you travel 42m, followed by the braking... which takes a further 63 meters. We're now at 105 metres, which equals 115 yards. You're in the debris.

See what I mean?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    Troll.
    No policeman in Britain would stop someone after hitting 160mph and let them go with a telling off, no matter how "stern".
    Any offence above 100mph is an automatic ban, ffs.
    Not if you know the coppers :rolleyes:

Know people in high places means people turning a blind eye to things mate. You should know this world by now lol. Not everyone goes by the book.

ReputationRep:
    lol, i'm not being funny but i'd rather be congested in a traffic jam than congested in a 10-car pile-up.

ReputationRep:

What is so bad about it?

Post a video on youtube with your speedo showing 160mph so we all can actually lobby your local police force to take action and get another ignorant dangerous T*** off our roads please

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mikkels88)
    sorry i felt i had to post on here.... you GENUINELY think there is absolutely no increase in danger when going 160 on a motorway??

you realise a very small increase in speed leads to a big increase in stopping distance (remember your reflexes are included, half a second delay at 160mph is much further than half a second at 70)

also you cant know there wont be someone who has broken down / skidded / crashed / a wild animal or w/e on the road...

i speed a fair amount il admit but not stupidly and making the statements you have above is just plain idiotic mate

Why is there less accidents on the Autobahn's in Germany with higher limits then? :rolleyes:

You've just been signed, sealed and delivered baby. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    I can't see the problem with doing 160 IF, and only if the road is nearly totally empty, so there is very little risk of having to brake suddenly for someone pulling into your lane.

The unrestricted Autobahn sections work because the Germans are better at lane discipline.
    Speed isn't an issue there.

So yeah, I don't see anything wrong with high speeds, but there is a time and a place for it.

ReputationRep:
    Not if you know the coppers :rolleyes:

Know people in high places means people turning a blind eye to things mate. You should know this world by now lol. Not everyone goes by the book.
    Tip for the future: when you're peddling this nonsense next time, at least make it relatively believable. 110. Maybe 120. But 160? You just make yourself look and sound more like a deluded moron.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cicerao)
    lol, i'm not being funny but i'd rather be congested in a traffic jam than congested in a 10-car pile-up.
    If you can't drive a car at 150mph+ safely you shouldn't be on the road at all. You are clearly a poor driver if you can't handle a fast car. The test is way too easy and allows n00bs on the road to just loll about all day going pure slow and causing accidents as people join from an intersection. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by armador)
    Stopping distance models are usually done using a quadratic. Roughly speaking, 2x the speed, 4x the braking distance.

If something unexpected happens and you need to react to it, it usually happens within 100yds or so. Let's assume that you need to brake to avoid a large piece of debris rolled off a truck (hypothetical situation, which *HINT* happened to me once on the A34). You're 100yds behind the lorry, then suddenly, you see this massive great piece of plastic coming out of it.

You're at 70mph. Reaction time of 1s makes you travel 31m, followed by the actual braking, done under normal conditions (mu=0.5 for the average tyres), means that you'll take a total of 81m to stop, or 88 yards. You've beaten it!

You're now at 90mph. Reaction time of 1s makes you travel 42m, followed by the braking... which takes a further 63 meters. We're now at 105 metres, which equals 115 yards. You're in the debris.

See what I mean?
    If he's driving at 90mph, he's not going to be behind a lorry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by enzoalex)
    I can't see the problem with doing 160 IF, and only if the road is nearly totally empty, so there is very little risk of having to brake suddenly for someone pulling into your lane.

The unrestricted Autobahn sections work because the Germans are better at lane discipline.
    Speed isn't an issue there.

So yeah, I don't see anything wrong with high speeds, but there is a time and a place for it.
    This^

I fully agree. This is why we need 24 monitored lanes so when its quiet at night on the motorway or in the day, they can put the limit up to 160/140/120 to let people use the engines they have and get home quicker.

Obviously, if there is a build up of traffic for a sports event or concert then speeding is dumb but surely no one needs to state THIS as its OBVIOUS. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnC2211)
    If he's driving at 90mph, he's not going to be behind a lorry.
    So true, this is why I ignored him. You'd obviously be in the fast lane and accelerating into open road that is clear. Thats the whole point. Making people do 70mph when there is **** all else on the road is retardation in its highest form. What you gonna kill? a ghost? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    70MPH is a bit too slow really, and I think the speed limit should be more like 90 on many stretches of motorway. However you're just showing off ate 120 MPH, and to be honest, you should get the **** off the road .

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.