Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hey, so basically i have naturally really curly hair which i've been trying to grow out for ages now so that i can keep it nice and long and naturally curly. however it has taken aaaages and in the meantime ive just been straightening my hair, practically everyday, and yes it has pretty much ruined it!
    i have really bad split ends and my hair just doesnt stay straight for as long as it used to. i use hair masks, heat protectant and of course conditioner...and i don't want to trim my hair because it will take ages to grow again.
    any suggestions for damaging repaired hair and still continuing to straighten it? or alternatively any good products that tame curly hair? thank you in advance!

ReputationRep:
    If you continue to straighten it, it will simply start to fall out. End of the day you're applying intense heat to your hair, there's only so much products can protect against.

ReputationRep:
    can't repair hair I'm afraid... your best option is to cut off all the damage and start again. If you don't then the damage may work its way further up your hair

ReputationRep:
    Stop straightening it!

Also use Ecostyler gel, as it's alcohol free and perhaps use a low-sulfate shampoo or simply wash your hair with conditioner. Hello Hydration hair conditioner is meant to be really good for curly hair and it smells really nice too (that is, if you like the smell of coconut).

ReputationRep:
    Trim it. Because even if your hair does grow, the split ends will just travel further up the hair which will make your hair worse.

Deep condition once a week and try and lay off the straighteners. Maybe once a week or once every 2 weeks.

How curly is your hair? 3a? They're are plenty of hairstyles you could do with your curly hair so you won't have to resort to straightening it.

ReputationRep:
    aveda is meant to be good,
    supposed to be natural based and ethical

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bestsundaydress)
    hey, so basically i have naturally really curly hair which i've been trying to grow out for ages now so that i can keep it nice and long and naturally curly. however it has taken aaaages and in the meantime ive just been straightening my hair, practically everyday, and yes it has pretty much ruined it!
    i have really bad split ends and my hair just doesnt stay straight for as long as it used to. i use hair masks, heat protectant and of course conditioner...and i don't want to trim my hair because it will take ages to grow again.
    any suggestions for damaging repaired hair and still continuing to straighten it? or alternatively any good products that tame curly hair? thank you in advance!
    stop straightening.
    trim.
    condition- look for how to look after curly hair properly. Not drying it out will help it grow and keep it curl.
    make sure you are eating well.

ReputationRep:
    Good God this sounds exactly like me! I've recently come out of the whole straightening thing because I too, have curly hair! Now I just leave my hair out and live and let live!
    Get coconut oil, lather ur hair in it and wear a shower cap or wrap a plastic bag around it for 15-30min then wash it out. Do this once every 2/3 weeks and your hair should begin to restore in no time! In doing so, you must stop straightening your hair! No matter how much heat defence spray you use, your hair will still damage!

Btw, you can use a mixture of olive oil and one raw egg instead of coconut oil but coconut oil is better.
    You must also make sure that you don't do it every week! If you do then your hair will become weaker.

ReputationRep:
    thank you everyone! think youre pretty much all right...trimming and coconut oil here i come

ReputationRep:
    Applying oils like Macadamia and Argan oil are great at deep conditioning damaged hair.

ReputationRep:
    do oil massage for your hair twice a week atleast. Spend time on it every time you do it. You can get loads of different types of hair oil, find out one that caters for your hair and your hair should be on the road to recovery

ReputationRep:
    you need to get it cut. I know you dont want to, but honestly its all you can do, my hair used to be like that and i had to get it cut really short. But it will grow back again, so no worries

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.