* Bangladeshis

Asians:

* Chinese
    * Japanese
    * Filipinos
    * Malays
    * Indonesians
    * Vietnamese
    are u asian? coz im indian and i wouldnt call myself South Asian...just asian...and in uni and stuff...when ppl say asian, they do mean indians, pakistanis,bangladeshis....norma lly call chinese,japanese,filipinos,malay s,indonesians and vietnamese ppl oriental....
    but i do think we're all asians

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nafisa)
    what are u talking about........ chinese arent white!!!
    You could say the same about Whites as well. They aren't exactly white are they?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by byakugan_neji)
    You could say the same about Whites as well. They aren't exactly white are they?
    and blacks arent black!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nafisa)
    and blacks arent black!
    Exactly, lol.

ReputationRep:
    I use to think indian but through education you realise it's just the general term for those countries in the continent of Asia. But I understand some ppl find it offensive to generalise. Like to call someone African can be offensive as there are so many countries in Africa as in Asia. Another example: you're European yet you're english.

ReputationRep:
    look.what's all the fuss about? an asian is a person who's origins are in ASIA...just as a european is one who's origins are in EUROPE...now after things can get complicated when we are discussing CERTAIN indivituals, such as indians or chinese or MONGOLIANS! but until then...an asian is a person who's origins are in asia.there.settled.

ReputationRep:
    There are three different races in Asia though. On the western part of Russia i.e. Moscow, you have whites. On the eastern part of Russia, people are chinese-looking. In India, people are Arab looking. So, what would they be called? Arabians?

So this means:

Whites = Europeans, Americans and Australasians
    Blacks = Africans and Carribeans
    ? = North East Asians
    ? = Southern Asia
    Arabians = Middle East

edit: You could say Indians, but that may be offensive to people from Pakistan. It's all very well calling them Indians and Pakistanis, but what (as a whole) is the race called?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Albert Einstein)
    You could say Indians, but that may be offensive to people from Pakistan. It's all very well calling them Indians and Pakistanis, but what (as a whole) is the race called?
    ASIAN!!! no-one get's offended, it's just when you start calling indians 'pakistani's' and pakistani's 'indian', THAT'S when ppl start getting offended.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gnostic)
    Europeans are actually closer genetically to Indians than Arabs are. Arabs are a semetic people. However, both Europeans and Indians come from the same racial stock - hence, for example, why English, French, Hindi etc all come under the "Indo-European" family of languages.
    Yes in fact if u go far back enough in history u'll find that the Europeans originated from india

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gnostic)
    Indeed (ps congrats on your UCL place).
    thank u Gnostic - by the way i am sure u will enjoy LSE - i missed out but i am sure we shall cross each other's paths in an inter-collegiate debating competition

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blush Babe)
    Arabs are not Asian, they're from the Middle east.
    Personally I see Asians as Oriental however I would think that's incorrect. It would be more correct to refer them as Far Easterners (I think)...
    Indians are simply Indians because of their huge country and population.
    Yes arabs are asian. Anyone from the continent of Asia (Indian, Chinese, whatever) count as Asian!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aurorascopic)
    ASIAN!!! no-one get's offended, it's just when you start calling indians 'pakistani's' and pakistani's 'indian', THAT'S when ppl start getting offended.
    A man from India and a man from China are waiting in a doctor's surgery. The Indian laughs at the Chinese man's eyes, while the Chinese man hates the darker skin complexion the Indian has.

The doctor walks in and says "would the Asian gentleman please come with me". Both men stand up and look at each other: who would be in the right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Albert Einstein)
    A man from India and a man from China are waiting in a doctor's surgery. The Indian laughs at the Chinese man's eyes, while the Chinese man hates the darker skin complexion the Indian has.

The doctor walks in and says "would the Asian gentleman please come with me". Both men stand up and look at each other: who would be in the right?
    The person on the apponitment list.

ReputationRep:
    When people say European though they usually think of people on the continent not necessarily from the UK... I think of Asians as being from the Middle East and Chinese and Japanese as being Oriental...

I think I'm "caucasian" my mum put it on some form at school. there's also another word begining with h I think...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Sam~)
    Yes arabs are asian. Anyone from the continent of Asia (Indian, Chinese, whatever) count as Asian!
    how can arabs be asian? theyre from the middle east...it's like calling someone european african...least it is to me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Sam~)
    Part of Russia is on Asia, are they Asians as well?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    Part of Russia is on Asia, are they Asians as well?
    yes - in fact more asian than european despite appearances (if u can take my point at face value - no not a pun)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kurdt Morello)
    yes - in fact more asian than european despite appearances (if u can take my point at face value - no not a pun)
    True, geographically they are Asians, but racially?

ReputationRep:
    i no that indians from the north of the country can be traced back to the scandinavian aryan race...!
    they crossed the indus valley and settled in the north which is actually why people from north india have fairer skin than those in the south!
    im an aryan indian asian! how fun!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    True, geographically they are Asians, but racially?
    perhaps not - but then who are we to say without the history of the genetics

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.