The Student Room Group

Might have to drop maths, what should I do?

Hi,

Recently I did a maths test that I wasn't really prepared for. I got 19% which meant my teacher recommended I do the Use of Maths AS or switch to another course. At the start of the year, I was really enjoying maths and absorbing things like a sponge, but twice I was about 45 minutes late for a lesson because of my bus and became really far behind. I'm struggling to catch-up, but I'd really like to continue AS Maths and there is no way I'm doing Use of Maths. My teacher recommended I switch course, but it's a bit late, however I want to keep my options open and make my mind up sooner rather than later. My only alternatives to Maths are Spanish and Geography, which I got A*s in. My other A levels are Critical Thinking, Economics, History and Politics.

Any advice?
Reply 1
Go see your teachers, ask them to if they don't mind going through what you missed, try to get a set time for this instead of catching them at random times.

If you enjoy a subject then you really shouldn't have to drop it. Work hard and don't get stuck on the bus
Reply 2
Original post by madferit-lfc
Hi,

Recently I did a maths test that I wasn't really prepared for. I got 19% which meant my teacher recommended I do the Use of Maths AS or switch to another course. At the start of the year, I was really enjoying maths and absorbing things like a sponge, but twice I was about 45 minutes late for a lesson because of my bus and became really far behind. I'm struggling to catch-up, but I'd really like to continue AS Maths and there is no way I'm doing Use of Maths. My teacher recommended I switch course, but it's a bit late, however I want to keep my options open and make my mind up sooner rather than later. My only alternatives to Maths are Spanish and Geography, which I got A*s in. My other A levels are Critical Thinking, Economics, History and Politics.

Any advice?

I got slightly less as far as I remember in a 1st half term S1 exam, but got 90% in real thing in June
Be honest with yourself.

If you think you're going to do well in maths, then keep it and catch up.

If you're not confident you will do well, then switch to Geography.

Quick Reply