Turn on thread page Beta

Will I be at a disadvantage if I don't have an English Lit. GCSE? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi all.

I've been informed by my teacher that we might not be doing English Literature. In Year 10 (Year 11 currently) we did a couple pieces of coursework and speaking and listening assessments. However in the last two weeks of Year 10 we were told that none of those would count and our school wanted us to do the old AQA specification as it was "easier" since it was coursework-based and didn't include internal assessments.

Due to this we've crammed 3 pieces of coursework and 4 speaking and listening pieces in the last two weeks of Year 10 and the first two weeks of Year 11 and all our English lessons since have been exam prep.

My teacher told me that she's not sure what we might be doing after our exam in November but that there's a chance that we won't do Literature afterwards. Will I be at a disadvantage when applying to grammar sixth forms? I don't plan on studying English Lit. at college/sixth however will this put me at a disadvantage against others with English Literature when applying for competitive places?

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    No, it doesn't disadvantage you. You're not going to study English Lit so it doesn't make a difference; it's just another GCSE. English Language is more important.

ReputationRep:
    Nah dw. It is possibly the most boring subject I have ever had the misfortune to study. English language is much more important and is more fun too.

ReputationRep:
    If it's a whole school policy then the grammar sixth form should understand and not hold it against you since there's nothing you can reasonably do about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InadequateJusticex)
    No, it doesn't disadvantage you. You're not going to study English Lit so it doesn't make a difference; it's just another GCSE. English Language is more important.

(Original post by Extricated)
    Nah dw. It is possibly the most boring subject I have ever had the misfortune to study. English language is much more important and is more fun too.

(Original post by Patriot Rich)
    If it's a whole school policy then the grammar sixth form should understand and not hold it against you since there's nothing you can reasonably do about it.
    Thanks all. Was worried about it and teacher couldn't give me a straight answer.

ReputationRep:
    Not at all, if you have a good Language score, that's all that'll matter.

ReputationRep:
    @ I persia I
    If you're persian you're awesome! :3 (i am too)
    Anyway, i think i'm in the same situation as you, only our school is doing english literature. The only thing is, i want to do so many retakes that i'm worried i'll mess it up :emo:
    SO WORRIED.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by InadequateJusticex)
    I agree. As long as you have english language thats all that matters.

ReputationRep:
    English Language is more important but Lit is really good One of my favourites at GCSE and I'm only doing sciences +maths this year.

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.