Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

So I've been doing the IB for about a month now, and in the tests I have been getting a disappointing 4 or 5, even 3 in Biology. I think this was mainly because of the lack of knowing what to expect in papers, question types and essay structures. Also a pitiful level of organisation, my fault, I know, Things can only get better I hope. So on weekends, it will 100% dedicated to revision/review. I just hope that my predicted grades will not be based on this awful first quarter.

I have a USELESS Economics teacher, and unfortunately this is one of my HLs. Last year, nobody got more than a 5 in Economics, and about 20 parents have complained about her this year.

I need to do a IA Commentary for Introduction to Economics, but I have no idea of what to do!! We have not been explained anything or anything. It is in for Wednesday and am so scared. I was wondering, if anyone could possibly help me or send me one of their old ones for me to get a indication of what to do? Obviously, I am not going to copy it or anything, we only get told everyday about plagiarism...

ReputationRep:
    *bump*

ReputationRep:
    Okay,

I literally created my TSR acount to answer this so be happy :P

(actually in the process of writing my third economics IA, and helping you is my way of procrastinating :P)

I don't see why she would want you to write a commentary on section one. It's fairly retarded since section doesn't actually teach you any theory - it just explains what economics is....

I can't help you with that.

Econ IA's, generally, though are just you, a short article and 750 words. You outline the content of the article, restate it in terms of economic theory, then back it up with economic evaluation (long/short term effects, winners losers, etc). Now if you don't understand what I mean by that just now, don't be surprised. Section one doesn't give you the tools you need to do economic interpretation or analysis/evaluation.

Judging by the fact that you are being asked to write a commentary based on section one confirms what you tell us - your economics teacher should be fired...

Don't be intimidated by internals. The reason you feel like you're screwed is because she has given you a task that she hasn't given you the tools to complete.

Hope that at least convinces you you aren't screwed :P

-Max
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    As the OP said, an IA on section one is rather unconventional. You generally do your first IA when you get into Market Failure and externalities and such with Microeconomics.

For your IA, you have to pick an Economics idea from the section, so basic demand and supply for example. You then go online or open a newspaper to find an article that best suits this economics idea. Once you have that in hand, you have to analyse the article and include graphs, explaining how whatever is happening in the article is a classic display of demand/supply and then evaluate it based on what are the effects of this economic change on stakeholders, in the long/short run, and so on and so forth.

Again, this is really early to do an IA, so if you produce crap, it is not your fault.

Arrowhead.

PS: If you want an example, PM me with your email address and I'll be happy to send one of my old ones over (I did get a 7 in Economics HL so I do know what I'm talking about )

ReputationRep:
    Wow, how the heck do you write a commentary on Section 1? I'd try and find something which mentions potential/actual output, so you can draw the PPC. But damn. That sucks =/

ReputationRep:
    demand and supply is the easiest topic to do regarding econs IA.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hazwan_1)
    demand and supply is the easiest topic to do regarding econs IA.
    That's not in the Introduction to Economics, I don't think.

ReputationRep:
    i think your teacher just wanted you to practice doing commentary. ive never heard people doing section 1. if she/he asked you to submit, maybe its just for draft etc. no worries. you can always do another one later. btw, what sem are u in now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maximuzs)
    Okay,

I literally created my TSR acount to answer this so be happy :P

(actually in the process of writing my third economics IA, and helping you is my way of procrastinating :P)

I don't see why she would want you to write a commentary on section one. It's fairly retarded since section doesn't actually teach you any theory - it just explains what economics is....

I can't help you with that.

Econ IA's, generally, though are just you, a short article and 750 words. You outline the content of the article, restate it in terms of economic theory, then back it up with economic evaluation (long/short term effects, winners losers, etc). Now if you don't understand what I mean by that just now, don't be surprised. Section one doesn't give you the tools you need to do economic interpretation or analysis/evaluation.

Judging by the fact that you are being asked to write a commentary based on section one confirms what you tell us - your economics teacher should be fired...

Don't be intimidated by internals. The reason you feel like you're screwed is because she has given you a task that she hasn't given you the tools to complete.

Hope that at least convinces you you aren't screwed :P

-Max
    Thank you, I am VERY happy!

Thank you for your help, it was very useful and think you're explanation is 100% better than my teachers!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arrowhead)
    As the OP said, an IA on section one is rather unconventional. You generally do your first IA when you get into Market Failure and externalities and such with Microeconomics.

For your IA, you have to pick an Economics idea from the section, so basic demand and supply for example. You then go online or open a newspaper to find an article that best suits this economics idea. Once you have that in hand, you have to analyse the article and include graphs, explaining how whatever is happening in the article is a classic display of demand/supply and then evaluate it based on what are the effects of this economic change on stakeholders, in the long/short run, and so on and so forth.

Again, this is really early to do an IA, so if you produce crap, it is not your fault.

Arrowhead.

PS: If you want an example, PM me with your email address and I'll be happy to send one of my old ones over (I did get a 7 in Economics HL so I do know what I'm talking about )
    Thank you Arrowhead. I have PM'd you my email address, so you can send me an old one!

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Applying to university
Uni match

Your perfect course is here

Let our match making tool match you up with your ideal uni

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.