Turn on thread page Beta

So.. I'm a fresher and freshers week was amazing and I met loads and loads of people, and made quite a few friends... but my problem is i've seemed have formed two groups of friends, these are my course mates and flat mates.

I've been trying to balance my presence between the two groups but I can't keep it up, physically (and financially!), on top of this I've joined two sports clubs who have a repuation for wild socials.. so, yeah, I want to cement myself into one group.

Is this actually a problem though...? which group would be more prominent in my later years? My sister, who finished her degree 2 years ago told me that i'm most likely to be living with my course mates in my second year. Is this true?

thanks

bump.

ReputationRep:
    I would say try and do alternate weeks or something, remembering things will quieten down after a while. Don't just choose one group and shun the rest obviously. I would say go out more with your course mates because the majority of your time will be spent with the people you're living with; just don't forget about them!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    So.. I'm a fresher and freshers week was amazing and I met loads and loads of people, and made quite a few friends... but my problem is i've seemed have formed two groups of friends, these are my course mates and flat mates.

I've been trying to balance my presence between the two groups but I can't keep it up, physically (and financially!), on top of this I've joined two sports clubs who have a repuation for wild socials.. so, yeah, I want to cement myself into one group.

Is this actually a problem though...? which group would be more prominent in my later years? My sister, who finished her degree 2 years ago told me that i'm most likely to be living with my course mates in my second year. Is this true?

thanks
    Stay with all groups, and just go to the best stuff. That way everyone will think you're cool because you have loads of friends they don't know.:cool:

ReputationRep:
    Just do stuff with both groups of people, other people you live with will have course mates too so they will want to go out with them at times as well. Invite your course mates to your flat or something when your having a night out so that you can be with both groups of people. When freshers dies down it will probably get easier, you will be spending a lot more time in your flat because you won't be out all the time but you will still see your course mates so a balance will probably come more naturally.

My friend is living with people off her course this year, I'm living with some people I knew last year but not closely and other people are living with their old flatmates so it varies a lot!

Edit: Saying that I do wish I'd made more effort to make friends with my coursemates, but 6 girls from my halls were on my course so we just stuck together. It's good to have two groups of friends so you don't have to spend all the time with the same people.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 30, 2011
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.