Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi all
    i'm quite intelligent and i am particularly good at sciences and history i have been to university but i had to leave due to a bad injury i would now like to go back but i'm not sure what courses have good employment prospects as i can't afford to take the time and expense of going to university if it is not going to lead to a good job at the end. i was interested in forensic science but i've been told the employment prospects are really bad for that. can anyone else suggest anything that i may not have thought of before.
    thanks

i have the following a levels
    biology c
    chemistry e
    physics d
    maths as d

ReputationRep:
    How about a Biochemistry degree? Gives you a way into anything from the NHS (medical scientist type stuff) to big pharma. People I know doing science with the OU are trying to get into the NHS scientist programme.

ReputationRep:
    i don't think spending all my time in a lab would be for me

ReputationRep:
    I would not go back to university until you have developed a passion for a specific subject and know that it will be worth the inconvenience of doing a degree. Just go to uni open days and get a feel for their science courses.

ReputationRep:
    i know what kind of subjects i'm into but it's the job prospects in particular areas that concern me as i cannot justify the time and expense of 3 years at university if i'm going to be unemployed at the end of it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by s_chadwick)
    i don't think spending all my time in a lab would be for me
    Isn't that what forensic scientists do though? Try NHS healthcare scientists. Not all will be lab work. http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/hcsci.shtml

ReputationRep:
    What type of uni you expect to go to with those types of grades? Honestly just quit thinking about university and look for some office work which dont look at a levels. Dustman jobs not available as your grades are not good enough for your grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cura)
    What type of uni you expect to go to with those types of grades? Honestly just quit thinking about university and look for some office work which dont look at a levels. Dustman jobs not available as your grades are not good enough for your grades.
    Ok this ^^^^wasn't exactly the nicest way of putting it. But yeah you don't really have the grades to get into uni and tbh judging by your grades, you're not that good at science.

However considering you are a mature potential student you could still apply for a degree with a foundation year, if you have the relevant experience. Failing that you could easily resit you a-levels at college or do an apropriate higher education qualification such as an HNC which would get you into uni.

ReputationRep:
    Become a Call Girl

ReputationRep:
    I don't really see why you would want to do a bioscience degree if you don't want to work in a lab.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Llamageddon)
    I don't really see why you would want to do a bioscience degree if you don't want to work in a lab.
    Because he's an idiot and he feels that he has a lot of options open to him. Must be living in la la land.

You gotta love the 27 year old with A Levels, no concrete plan or direction, and trying to be super picky in the middle of a recession.

ReputationRep:
    a little harsh guys

as said, you need to think about what you want to do, and not end up like me and millions of others/ picking a course thats crap and regretting it

you also need to see what courses you can get onto with those grades

ReputationRep:
    i'm a she for a start off and i'm not trying to be picky but i want to do the right thing not rush into a decision and it be a mistake which is how i ended up in this position in the first place. i want to do something that will lead to a career not spend my life in a call centre. the a levels were not the grades i should have achieved as i was in hospital having an operation a week before my final set of exams and i got a u on every module i sat then which brought my grades down and even though i brought doctors notes in this wasn't taken into account. i have one chance now to sort my life out and make something of myself and i don't want to spend 3 years struggling for money whilst at uni to then find i am unemployed and end up having to go back to a call centre at the end of it. i'm asking for contructive advice about job prospects for various science based careers that's all

ReputationRep:
    If you want me to be brutally honest, I have to say your options are extremely slim. People in considerably better positions than yourself, with very strong qualifications, and experience are struggling badly.

If you want my advice, I would try to expand my skill set/qualifications without incurring further debt... like going to university. But if you do choose to go to university, you need to enroll on a very strong course, firmly backed by thorough research and networking before and during the course, and not be afraid to move countries in pursuit of your career on completion of said course. It really is that simple.

ReputationRep:
    A HNC can get you work as a lab tech though you're competing against a boat load of graduates who can no longer get studentships for their phd/ masters and you said you don't want to work in a lab...

even the jobs that are outside of the lab are only really attainable by first working in a lab. The job market for scientists is really hard right now. You could try engineering, but again it is very hard to get into. You really need to be more specific before we can give you information.

ReputationRep:
    C E D D?

I don't think your A level grades are good enough to merit going to university

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tufc)
    C E D D?

I don't think your A level grades are good enough to merit going to university
    You'll be surprised who can get into university and with what grades. University is a business.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by s_chadwick)
    i know what kind of subjects i'm into but it's the job prospects in particular areas that concern me as i cannot justify the time and expense of 3 years at university if i'm going to be unemployed at the end of it
    That entirely depends on if you're any good or not.

Its about as difficult as falling off a log to get employment after a good hons chemistry degree with year in industry for example.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Llamageddon)
    A HNC can get you work as a lab tech though you're competing against a boat load of graduates who can no longer get studentships for their phd/ masters and you said you don't want to work in a lab...

even the jobs that are outside of the lab are only really attainable by first working in a lab. The job market for scientists is really hard right now. You could try engineering, but again it is very hard to get into. You really need to be more specific before we can give you information.
    Its hard for people who didn't bother getting lab experience during their degree, but thats their own muppety fault.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Its hard for people who didn't bother getting lab experience during their degree, but thats their own muppety fault.
    how would you even go about getting no lab experience during a degree? It's not like it's a choice.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.