The Student Room Group

i've just turned 27 and i'm not sure what i want to do

Scroll to see replies

Seriously. Pick a university & course.

Treat it like a job and you will get a 1st and walk into your desired employment
Original post by AestheticOverload
If you want me to be brutally honest, I have to say your options are extremely slim. People in considerably better positions than yourself, with very strong qualifications, and experience are struggling badly.

If you want my advice, I would try to expand my skill set/qualifications without incurring further debt... like going to university. But if you do choose to go to university, you need to enroll on a very strong course, firmly backed by thorough research and networking before and during the course, and not be afraid to move countries in pursuit of your career on completion of said course. It really is that simple.

I admire your determination to turn your life around. Don't listen to some of the idiots on here who have nothing better to do than dismiss you.

CEDD is not fantastic but then again, you're not saying you want to do medicine at Oxbridge. There are plenty of courses you can choose from with those grades. Mature students bring life experience and enthusiasm to higher education which universities respect. If you go to www.push.co.uk and use the 'uni chooser' you can see which universities have courses specifically within your grade category.

I would say, right now, it's more important to do something that fires you and which will give you a strong qualification. The current economic climate is not going to predict fantastic job opportunities anywhere for the time being. Although, to make a generalisation, NHS careers usually have a stable demand. The NHS careers website (I think somebody already mentioned it) is wonderful.

Just some areas to think about:
Forensic psychology (if you're particularly into the forensic side of things)
Counselling (can study part time and work in NHS or private practice)
Medical receptionist. (degrees/ qualifications in medical administration are often shorter than traditional subjects whilst still supplying you with a professional qualification)
Nursing
Pharmacy
Health Policy/ Administration

I think anything that you do will show you to be determined and focused which is hugely important. Good luck!
Reply 22
Original post by Llamageddon
how would you even go about getting no lab experience during a degree? It's not like it's a choice.

Well teaching labs isn't lab experience, the research project is, but really people need wider experience than that to be ahead of the game. Otherwise they just look like everyone else.
Reply 23
Original post by eLECTROLOSIS
Seriously. Pick a university & course.

Treat it like a job and you will get a 1st and walk into your desired employment

...said the fresher :biggrin:
Original post by Quady
...said the fresher :biggrin:

Hahaha shot me down.. :frown:

This was the advice of my uncle who works as audit manager for HSBC. Lets just say he's in the 50% tax threshold :colone:
Reply 25
Original post by eLECTROLOSIS
Hahaha shot me down.. :frown:

This was the advice of my uncle who works as audit manager for HSBC. Lets just say he's in the 50% tax threshold :colone:

Which is fine advise for someone of the calibre to be in the top 2% of earners, presumably they didn't get DDEc at A-Level though?

'keep practising' wouldn't turn me into a premiership footballer, and 'work hard' won't get someone a 1st if they haven't the capability to achieve it.
Original post by Quady
Which is fine advise for someone of the calibre to be in the top 2% of earners, presumably they didn't get DDEc at A-Level though?

'keep practising' wouldn't turn me into a premiership footballer, and 'work hard' won't get someone a 1st if they haven't the capability to achieve it.

I don't fully agree with your point because your equating earning an undergraduate degree with becoming a professional sportsperson or anything that requires natural ability for that matter.

Of course the capacity has to exist within a person, but hard work is such an undervalued and underestimated component of achievement. Also the first time round he completely failed his a-levels and had to re-do them.
Reply 27
Original post by AestheticOverload
You'll be surprised who can get into university and with what grades. University is a business.

I know, but it's not going to be a very good university, with rather poor employment prospects.
Reply 28
Original post by tufc
I know, but it's not going to be a very good university, with rather poor employment prospects.

As others have said, it's different for mature students. Good universities will consider you even if you have a mediocre academic record so long as you can demonstrate that you've obtained good work experience and that you've got the intellect and determination to do the degree.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending