Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I started year 11 a few weeks ago and I must apply for college now. At the moment, based on predictions, i have:

English: C
    Maths: B (+ Pass in Functional Skills)
    Physics: C/B
    Biology: B
    Chemistry: B
    ICT Diploma: A (+ Pass on IT Functional Skills)
    Resistant Materials: B
    Media Studies: B

Although I believe I can do much better on the sciences and maths by the end of Year 11.

For A levels, I am thinking about Chemistry, Biology and Maths (not sure what ill chose for last yet). I have high enough grades to apply for these A levels.

My question is, do Universities look at GCSEs? Or only A Levels? My grades are a bit disappointing and I believe that I could have got much better grades if I worked harder on Year 10.

ReputationRep:
    What exactly do you want to do? Because for some courses, yes they do.

You can probably get above Bs and Cs if you work a bit.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, forgot to mention it.

I want to take a Medicine Course.

ReputationRep:
    Medicine with those grades at a competitive uni will be difficult!

ReputationRep:
    For Medicine they WILL look at your GCSE grades and consider them as a factor, more than they would on other courses.

Just work as hard as you can this year, and you can come out with B's and A's overall easily.

ReputationRep:
    You have the time in Year 11 now to turn those grades around. Predicted grades at GCSE dont mean ****. I was predicted Bs and Cs and came out with the best GCSEs in the year through working smart and efficiently. You need to set yourself goals and tasks to achieve and plan your work effectively. Start revising for your weaker subjects now, (I started revising maths in August because I got an E in my pre-mock exam in Year 10) and do all your coursework to the very best of your ability, (so all A* and A). I cannot stress how difficult it would be for you to get into medicine with those GCSEs. But you've still gt time to turn it all around!!

Try and get A*'s/A's in the three sciences, maths, english and ICT. If you can get Bs at the very minimum in Media Studies. (though this shouldnt be too difficult as Media is easy according to my peers who have taken it) and in Resistant Materials.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Come on, they're only GCSEs, you can get As if you try hard enough. And luckily you only have to do 8. Buy the revision guides (make sure they're designed for the board you're doing), read them, do past papers, repeat. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for all the replies! I will definitely follow all the advice.

One more question, how strict are Universities about entry requirement? The universities i am considering applying (such as UCL and Imperial College) has the minimum entry requirement of English at B. I believe I am capable of achieving As on Sciences and Math but I am not so sure about improving English from a C.

ReputationRep:
    My friend, you start revising for those GCSEs now, and there is no reason why you shouldn't get As in them. You say you want to do medicine? It's a long time until next June. Prove you want it by working hard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roll245)
    Sorry, forgot to mention it.

I want to take a Medicine Course.
    You're going to want better GCSE's then those predictions if you want to stand a chance of a decent medicine course. Of course, you have a long time to get those grades. To be honest, predicted grades are only ever predicted grades so GCSE's are looked at as a concrete indicator of your performance.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    UCL and Imperial will definitely be looking at your GCSEs, and although they say B they generally mean A/A*, even for courses that aren't medicine. They are drastically over subscribed with people who have all As/A*s at a-level and it's just an easier way for them to shift you off the pile. They will probably give you an interview any way though, it's just when it comes down to it if there is someone with slightly better GCSEs who did just as well at interviews as you did they will get the place and not you. Places like Durham generally want to see loads of A*s at GCSE for almost all their courses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elipsis)
    UCL and Imperial will definitely be looking at your GCSEs, and although they say B they generally mean A/A*, even for courses that aren't medicine. They are drastically over subscribed with people who have all As/A*s at a-level and it's just an easier way for them to shift you off the pile. They will probably give you an interview any way though, it's just when it comes down to it if there is someone with slightly better GCSEs who did just as well at interviews as you did they will get the place and not you. Places like Durham generally want to see loads of A*s at GCSE for almost all their courses.
    Any decent Universities that aren't over subscribed?

ReputationRep:
    Any decent Universities that aren't over subscribed?
    I don't really know, my guess is probably not.

ReputationRep:
    Most people who apply for medicine have at least 6A*s, unless you can get straight A*s and As at GCSE, I would recommend you to stop wanting to do medicine. I don't think the best interview or personal statement can help overlook those sort of predicted GCSE grades.

ReputationRep:
    For medicine they WILL. Get as much revision done, you'll need to work hard this year and try to get as many A/A*'s especially in the sciences. You've got a year to turn everything around, forget your predicted grades and get loads of help from your teachers. It's only one year, you can handle some hard work =)
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Axellia)
    Most people who apply for medicine have at least 6A*s, unless you can get straight A*s and As at GCSE, I would recommend you to stop wanting to do medicine. I don't think the best interview or personal statement can help overlook those sort of predicted GCSE grades.
    Such utter rubbish...

It's easier to get into medicine with lots of A*s at GCSE, but not a necessity :noway:

I'm proof

x
    Your GCSEs will be looked at so make sure you do as well as possible.

You can view the current GCSE requirements here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...E_Requirements but beware that they could change by the time that you come to apply

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Penguinsaysquack)
    Such utter rubbish...

It's easier to get into medicine with lots of A*s at GCSE, but not a necessity :noway:

I'm proof

Your GCSEs will be looked at so make sure you do as well as possible.

You can view the current GCSE requirements here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...E_Requirements but beware that they could change by the time that you come to apply
    If you are reckon you got a medicine course at a top university with straight Bs or less at GCSE you are deluded. This person wants to do medicine at top universities, not average or worse ones.

ReputationRep:
    The entry requirements for GCSE will be a lot lower than the GCSEs of successful candidates if the requirements are low to begin with eg BBBB
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Axellia)
    If you are reckon you got a medicine course at a top university with straight Bs or less at GCSE you are deluded. This person wants to do medicine at top universities, not average or worse ones.
    I'm going to go ahead and assume you aren't doing medicine or know too much about it.. but there are no top universities for medicine. They are all on the same level as they are all accredited with the GMC (UK unis) so I'm not deluded, you're just misinformed

Disagree with me if you want, but I do know what I'm talking about

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Penguinsaysquack)
    I'm going to go ahead and assume you aren't doing medicine or know too much about it.. but there are no top universities for medicine. They are all on the same level as they are all accredited with the GMC (UK unis) so I'm not deluded, you're just misinformed

Disagree with me if you want, but I do know what I'm talking about
    I'm not doing medicine but I do know about it as half the people in our school are wanting to do it. When I say top university I mean to say top as in most competitive by reputation, such as those UCL and Imperial which were listed above by the thread started. Obviously it is going to be harder to get into medicine at UCL than, for example, Birmingham which is a completely average university in terms of reputation.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 1, 2011

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 24 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.