Turn on thread page Beta

Cervical cancer vaccine? watch

Announcements

My Mum recently told me she's not going to give my sisters a jab for cervical cancer because they were "brought up with morals" and it will encourage them to have underage sex, and that once they turn 18 the only way to get the cancer is if it runs in the family. Now, that load-of-*******s argument aside, she was talking about the jab only being for one type of cancer and it only reducing the risk by 20%, so I admit I didn't argue my side as forcefully as I maybe should have (I DID say that she was being stupid, and that telling them the jab would prevent a cancer sometimes caught through intercourse would not automatically be translated by them as "go shag EVERYBODY, I MEAN EVERYBODY! NOW!").

Since that argument, the only jab for cervical cancer I've found out about is for HPV, which certainly has a much higher chance of prevention than 20% according to what I've read, and also that HPV can be caught as easily as from sitting on a dirty toilet seat (yes this is also an argument which is falsely applied anecdote associated with catching HIV, so I did take this part with a pinch of salt).

Anyway, could she be talking about another cervical cancer jab I can't find on the internet? And how the hell do I convince her that she really should get this jab, and that her argument which seemingly amounts to "it's caught by immoral people under 18, and after then you get it if I had it or my mum had it, which we never did" is moronic? Thanks

Oh also, my sisters are both in the right age range for the HPV jab, according to the nhs website.

ReputationRep:
    If she's not having any of it, I think your sisters need to fake her signature because their health is far more important.

ReputationRep:
    I've always known the 'cervical cancer jab' to be the HPV, it's three injections so it's not ideal for your sisters to just pop off and get them done as they'll have to go back twice, unless it's done through school?

It might be time to get all your thoughts, print offs and information leaflets together and sit down with your mum and hit her with a barrage of ~the truth~. Point out that an injection which certainly may help your sisters' well being in the future won't suddenly break down their moral code!

ReputationRep:
    When I was getting my HPV jab the nurse told me it only protected against 2% of the ways to get HPV.
    Anyway, yes we had a girl who announced she wasn't getting it because she wasn't going to have sex before marriage,
    obviously oblivious to the fact that her future husband could be carrying it without his knowledge.
    So you should let your mum know that its not just ****s who are at risk of HPV (though they are probably more at risk).

ReputationRep:
    Just sit her down and tell her:

"You're going to murder my sisters..." and give her a really stern look.

ReputationRep:
    Either she doesn't mind her daughters having cervical cancer or she does mind it. She has pretty ****ed up priorities and needs to be put straight.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 30, 2011
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.