Turn on thread page Beta

URGENT!! Student Finance England will not pay my tuition fees for the year 2011/2012 watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone, I urgently require help in sorting out my finance situation as I feel totaly confused and lost. I will outline my situation as follows:

I studied a foundation degree in Science at the University of Greenwich as I had no A-Levels in the sciences previously. This was in the year 2009/2010. I managed to pass the foundation degree. I originally wanted to get into BSc Bioscience. Upon completing the foundation degree I was not able to gain a place in the BSc Bioscience course at Greenwich and therefore managed to get a place in Westminster to do a course in BSc Forensic Biology in the first year (2010/2011). However due to personal reasons, I was not able to achieve the required marks to progress through to the second year of the degree and decided to move back to greenwich where i secured a place in yr 1 of BSc Bioscience for (2011/2012). My problem is that, the student finance company has funded me for 2009/2010 and 2010/2011 years however it is now in the year 2011/2012 I have been told by the student finance company that they wil not fund me for the year. I find it virtually impossible to pay my tuition fees out of my own pocket as I dont have the money to pay £3000.

Would somebody please help me?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Ring them up and say 'if you don't fund me, I won't fund you either'.

It's really all I've got, sorry.

ReputationRep:
    Sadly they are totally correct.
    You are only entitled to years 2 and 3 funded
    You have to fund year 1 yourself.

ReputationRep:
    Indeed, SF will not fund your first year.

Your only other choice will be to get a career development loan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shani)
    Indeed, SF will not fund your first year.

Your only other choice will be to get a career development loan.
    Very dodgy advice there, that's serious debt. However it is the only way I can think of that you would be able to raise the funds. Even then, I know banks tend to give out CDLs to graduates who want to go back for a masters or some other postgraduate qualification, not sure how they would look at giving it to an undergrad for his first year - especially given your history in education. Sorry, its not a great situation.

ReputationRep:
    Why is that dodgy advice? It is his only option, I never said it was a good one. I assume someone who is embarking on a university education has the brains to judge for themselves whether or not the CDL is for them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shani)
    Why is that dodgy advice? It is his only option, I never said it was a good one. I assume someone who is embarking on a university education has the brains to judge for themselves whether or not the CDL is for them
    This.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shani)
    because you said it was his only option which is essentially (indirectly) advising him to take it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DdotT)
    because you said it was his only option which is essentially (indirectly) advising him to take it.
    I did not advise him to take it, I merely stated the fact that it's his only option - and it *IS* his only option for outside funding for his first years tuition fees.

So, if I'd said "your only other way I can think of" (as you said) rather than "your only choice is" , it wouldn't be dodgy advice?

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.