Turn on thread page Beta

I was friends with a girl in my first year of uni, we lived in next door flats and did quite a lot together. She was probably the person I was closest to out of everyone. However there were times when I'd get left out because it was only really her I was close to and if she was doing things with other people, they would never bother inviting me.

We now live in different places but I've been spending a lot of time with her in her halls. She's just a really pushy person and I'm not happy at all. She's constantly making *****y little remarks about things, such as once incident in March when I lost everyone I was out with and went home alone and she brought it up and made a big deal about something that happened months ago and blamed me, when there was no point even bringing it up. Her friend apparently fancies me, but I don't fancy him and now I'm a '*****' because I don't like him!

We had arranged to do something today, but she would rather go shopping so spend most of the time shopping. Even when I asked her if we could go to the place that we'd agreed to go she kept putting it off but by the time we'd got there everything had shut down so I completely missed out on it when I could have gone with other people.

She is just really annoying me, she also expects me to spend loads of time with her and go out with her which means I don't get to spend time with people from my own halls and get to know them.. I want to stay friends with her but she's just reminding of my old friends from school pushy and always wanting to get their own way and I feel like I should just ditch her to make new friends, although I know I will be lonely then because I won't have anyone close!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I feel like I should just ditch her to make new friends, although I know I will be lonely then because I won't have anyone close!

Slowly ditch her, whilst making new friends. Then you will have people.

ReputationRep:
    I want to stay friends with her
    Why? She sounds quite unpleasant. From what I can tell you're friends because you're close. Unless there's more reason than that you've known each other for so long, it might be worth getting new friends.

ReputationRep:
    She sounds like a nightmare. Just stop texting/ringing her and she will get the idea sooner or later. Stick with your other friends at uni.

Thanks, she's also being horrible with me at the moment because I don't fancy her friend. When I'm with her she always makes nasty remarks about things I've done in the past! I know I should focus on being friends with my flat and course mates, but my flatmates are both on placement year next year so I need someone to live with and the idea was that I'd live with her.. I don't want to be another 3rd year who lives on their own!

ReputationRep:
    Cut her out of your life and move on.

ReputationRep:
    She sounds like a bully to be honest. I'd start cutting ties with her if I were in your position.
    If she were a true friend, then yeah I'd expected some joking around and taking the mickey a little, not out-and-out *****ing.

ReputationRep:
    Oops, Double post, sorry!

(Original post by Foxydelic54)
    She sounds like a bully to be honest. I'd start cutting ties with her if I were in your position.
    If she were a true friend, then yeah I'd expected some joking around and taking the mickey a little, not out-and-out *****ing.
    She is you know.. she only uses me when there is nobody else around.

ReputationRep:
    She is you know.. she only uses me when there is nobody else around.
    Why exactly do you want to stay friends with her? She sounds just plain mean!
    Start making friends with people you live with etc hopefully you will find a few nice people to cultivate friendships with, people that don't feel the need to put you down all the time!

ReputationRep:
    Start making friends with people you live with etc hopefully you will find a few nice people to cultivate friendships with, people that don't feel the need to put you down all the time!
    OP, Just Edge. Away. Very. Very Slowly....

I suppose because I've been friends with her since the very first week of uni she was one of the first people I met. She's popular like she has loads of friends.. and most of her friends are really nice people.

I feel like she's only friends with me because when her flatmates are in uni or working she has someone to spend time with.. and when she wants to see people from last year who I live in the same halls as I feel like she's just using me to have someone in the halls so that she can go around seeing other people.

I've tried making friends with the people I live with I am just so different to them! I don't think we're ever going to be close. Two of them are best friends, and the other has close friends in a different flat.. I'm just not close to anyone at all..

ReputationRep:
    what's the point in keeping someone around who makes you irritated enough to post questions about her? Chuck her.

ReputationRep:
    **** her.
    she's the type of girls who calls for you when she really needs someone to come somewhere with her, she's those type of girls that cant be caught alone so she wants you to accompany her
    seriously, shes a *****..just forget her and move on and make new friends

and some more advice: don't get too close to people you first meet, especially in uni when you are alone and you have no other friends around you to help you. make sure you try and see what kind of person they really are, if they aren't your type then you can stop hanging out with them and they wont even care coz you werent clsoe with them in the first place!and obviously if you do like them then be friends with them

(Original post by Thuzz)
    **** her.
    she's the type of girls who calls for you when she really needs someone to come somewhere with her, she's those type of girls that cant be caught alone so she wants you to accompany her
    seriously, shes a *****..just forget her and move on and make new friends

and some more advice: don't get too close to people you first meet, especially in uni when you are alone and you have no other friends around you to help you. make sure you try and see what kind of person they really are, if they aren't your type then you can stop hanging out with them and they wont even care coz you werent clsoe with them in the first place!and obviously if you do like them then be friends with them
    I've been there for a year now. Everyone seems to be really close to their flatmates/coursemates and I'm not at all. My flat mates are hardly ever around.. they have long hours in uni and their own friends. :/

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 2, 2011
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.