Turn on thread page Beta

TSR Mobile Android/Iphone App watch

• View Poll Results: Which mobile platform would you most use TSR on if an app was made?
    Android Phone/Tablet
    66.67%
    Iphone/Ipad
    25.00%
    Blackberry
    4.17%
    Windows Phone 7
    4.17%
    Symbian (Nokia Smart Phones)
    0%
    Other: (Please state in post)
    0%

ReputationRep:
    So apparently the guys who run TSR have been 'working on' an app or mobile version of TSR for a while now.

I'm sure I speak for all when I say a mobile version of TSR would be so useful and would probably add to the posts and discussions on TSR. A lot of us already access TSR through our mobile phone browsers and an app would be ideal as loading up the whole site takes time and uses up our internet allowance. There is an app for everything these days and it seems that TSR are a little slow to catch up. This is the best way to move forward as I'm sure all will agree.

So this thread is all about bringing to attention to the Mods and Admins the fact that we are all dying for an TSR App for Iphone and Android phones. (Blackberry and Windows 7 phones too)

Suggestions for how they can go about creating this is welcome, tell them why you want it and how it will further the scope of TSR. Suggestions on what it should include, what platforms it should be available on and how badly we are waiting for it!

It certainly is about time we get an app for this great site. It will keep us in the loop while we are on the train/bus or car, on our way to School, College or Uni.
    Not only that but when we are out and about we can find out relevant information and post it with our phones!

This is the way forward! Any ideas, comments and suggestions are more than welcome, even if you have nothing to say, just post to say that you want a TSR mobile app and maybe how you would use it, on what device.

I, myself have and HTC Desire android phone and travel to college by car, bus and sometimes train. It would help the journey go quicker, keep me informed and in the discussion even away from my computer.

Sorry for the long post but I hope I've started something and hope to see a TSR app in the very near future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tif49)
    So apparently the guys who run TSR have been 'working on' an app or mobile version of TSR for a while now.

I'm sure I speak for all when I say a mobile version of TSR would be so useful and would probably add to the posts and discussions on TSR. A lot of us already access TSR through our mobile phone browsers and an app would be ideal as loading up the whole site takes time and uses up our internet allowance. There is an app for everything these days and it seems that TSR are a little slow to catch up. This is the best way to move forward as I'm sure all will agree.

So this thread is all about bringing to attention to the Mods and Admins the fact that we are all dying for an TSR App for Iphone and Android phones. (Blackberry and Windows 7 phones too)

Suggestions for how they can go about creating this is welcome, tell them why you want it and how it will further the scope of TSR. Suggestions on what it should include, what platforms it should be available on and how badly we are waiting for it!

It certainly is about time we get an app for this great site. It will keep us in the loop while we are on the train/bus or car, on our way to School, College or Uni.
    Not only that but when we are out and about we can find out relevant information and post it with our phones!

This is the way forward! Any ideas, comments and suggestions are more than welcome, even if you have nothing to say, just post to say that you want a TSR mobile app and maybe how you would use it, on what device.

I, myself have and HTC Desire android phone and travel to college by car, bus and sometimes train. It would help the journey go quicker, keep me informed and in the discussion even away from my computer.

Sorry for the long post but I hope I've started something and hope to see a TSR app in the very near future.
    Yeah I was thinking this would be an excellent idea aswell. However you forgot to add Blackberry into the thread title.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Computerised)
    Yeah I was thinking this would be an excellent idea aswell. However you forgot to add Blackberry into the thread title.
    Yeah, Iphone and Android are the two most popular so those are the two I chose in the title. But I did include the other platforms including Blackberry in the poll and in the first post.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tif49)
    Yeah, Iphone and Android are the two most popular so those are the two I chose in the title. But I did include the other platforms including Blackberry in the poll and in the first post.
    Are you sure about that? everyone I know has a blackberry. I would think it is more popular due to being cheaper.

ReputationRep:
    I pick iPhone cos I have one and it would be useful to have app like tsr simply and quicker way to go on without having go on web browse like Facebook has it own app, but I dunno if tsr do this...

ReputationRep:
    TSR is a pain in the arse to use on your phone, an app would be awesome

ReputationRep:
    According to some of the site staff on threads in the About The Student Room forum, something is in the works for mobile devices. A mobile skin is probably the better way to go than an app though, that way it's open to all mobile devices rather than giving whoever's working on multiple formats to work on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    According to some of the site staff on threads in the About The Student Room forum, something is in the works for mobile devices. A mobile skin is probably the better way to go than an app though, that way it's open to all mobile devices rather than giving whoever's working on multiple formats to work on.
    This, pretty much. Apps are fine but you can't ever satisfy everyone and developing for all platforms is a pain in the arse. You not only need to develop for android, but you need to develop for android phones with 240x320 pixel screens, 320x480 pixel screens, 480x800 pixel screens and the same for BlackBerry and iPhone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    I feel a mobile app, while useful, should only precede apps. Apps would (or rather could) offer far greater functionality and also cut down on data consumption and increase speed of use.
    Oh yeah I'd love to see properly optimised apps eventually, but it's obviously less work initially for them to build a "one size fits all" mobile skin.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.