Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    LINK: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15120522

ReputationRep:
    What the ****. How dare they demand we give benefits to people who don't pay taxes
    As if we don't already contribute enough to Europe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darkphilosopher)
    What the ****. How dare they demand we give benefits to people who don't pay taxes
    That's what being in the EU causes....

I'm turning very close to Euroscepticism.

No blame at all on the EU for this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Dangermouse)
    That's what being in the EU causes....

I'm turning very close to Euroscepticism.

No blame at all on the EU for this.
    lolololol are you saying we should remove ourselves from one of the largest economic blocs in the world?

ReputationRep:
    This is what is wrong with the progressive idea of "A New world order". Too suggest that anyone other than the people/representatives of the UK can decide what policies are best or justified for the UK is an affront to any people who would be free to pursue their own identity. For any country to justify interference in another's right to decide how it will govern itself there must be absolute and irrefutable evidence of basic accepted human rights violations. Any socially controversial policy does not come close to qualifying under those parameters.

ReputationRep:
    A year ago, I was a veritable Europhile. A year of complete bull**** has made a total EUrophobe out of me. I'm not just sceptical, I now passionately hate the EU for what it's doing to the nations of Europe. The Germans don't want to bail out Greece, they've been forced to. The Greeks, Portuguese and Irish don't want to accept the bailout, they've been forced to. The French, Dutch and Irish didn't want to accept the constitution (read: Lisbon Treaty), they've been forced to. The British don't want to share our benefits system with non-taxpayers, we've been forced to! Eastern European countries now don't want to join the Euro, they're going to be forced to.

When will this madness end? How much damage will have been done to Europe before this disaster finally collapses, as it inevitably will do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ANARCHY__)
    lolololol are you saying we should remove ourselves from one of the largest economic blocs in the world?
    Free Trade != Political Union. The Americans are right to be highly sceptical of NAFTA. The only continent with a hope of unifying is Latin America because there is a Latin American identity and only 5 main languages (4 in sovereign states) spoken on the continent.

With the exception of the Imperial days, our trade has always been predominantly with Europe, but that doesn't mean we have to surrender our freedoms to Brussels. Many, many, many bilateral or multilateral trade agreements exist without repressive, undemocratic, bureaucratic, centralising madmen precipitating over them.

ReputationRep:
    It really depends on what the economic benefits actually are. If there are genuine economic benefits we should bite the bullet, stay in and pay these people benefits.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
    Free Trade != Political Union. The Americans are right to be highly sceptical of NAFTA. The only continent with a hope of unifying is Latin America because there is a Latin American identity and only 5 main languages (4 in sovereign states) spoken on the continent.
    Agree. I think we should remain within the trade bloc of the EU but it should not serve as a political entity. NAFTA is not a good model for economic trade blocs or anything else for that matter; in my opinion, the regulations the US impose on Mexico are not conducive to a free trade environment, as far as I can see. However, I may be wrong because I haven't looked at this in detail.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Dangermouse)
    It really depends on what the economic benefits actually are. If there are genuine economic benefits we should bite the bullet, stay in and pay these people benefits.
    See above.

ReputationRep:
    Agree. I think we should remain within the trade bloc of the EU but it should not serve as a political entity. NAFTA is not a good model for economic trade blocs or anything else for that matter; in my opinion, the regulations the US impose on Mexico are not conducive to a free trade environment, as far as I can see. However, I may be wrong because I haven't looked at this in detail.
    That's what Switzerland do right? I think that's a good idea.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's interesting how people go on and on about non-EU immigration on this website and so little is discussed about the actual problem of immigration from the EU.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Don't pay taxes or a UK citizen? You should not be getting anything from the state
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    No, we could stay in the EEC.

Of course, there would be some political isolation involved in leaving the EU, which might diminish our power, but I think we shouldn't get walked all over in situations like this because of that argument.

Where do you draw the line?

ReputationRep:
    There needs to be reform here. The UK Government has a responsibility to its own taxpayers but also has a responsibility to anyone residing within its borders and in this case EU nationals. I think it should be important that tax is payed as a pre-requisite to benefits but we are part of the EU. It's a toughie and I don't think the British bulldog attitude of we will give them nothing is the right way to sort it out. We are all European citizens whether we like it or not...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darkphilosopher)

(Original post by Aj12)
    Don't pay taxes or a UK citizen? You should not be getting anything from the state
    Worst part is, this doesn't mean UK citizens can go any other EU state and claim benefits without being from that state... until we are a unified EU with a universal tax system and proper open borders and one passport, military...etc, this wouldn't be a realistic way of spending our money

ReputationRep:
    they keep threatenin us but we arent listenin

****ing EU... I am slowly going against the EU.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    ****ing EU... I am slowly going against the EU.
    as an anti-EU guy i perfectly understand what you mean! all those pro-EU folk are deluded! thinkin the sun shines out of the EUs backside! well the EU aint all free trade you know!

ReputationRep:
    Wow, that's not going to do the EU any favours.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.