The Student Room Group

A perfect example of a crime that should attract the death penalty.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2043310/Jia-Ashton-latest-Despicable-dropout-admits-battering-Thorntons-executive-death.html

That fat lump of excrement should swing ,sounds like he jacked off on her dead body as well the freak.

If the death penalty was brought back we would have a special homicide act which would stipulate which murders would qualify for it. Then the judge would apply the law. Instead I propose a system similar to the US where there is a death penalty hearing involving a jury after a guilty plea. Where the jury decides on either life imprisonment , natural life imprisonment or death. Although I wouldn't have a death row, one appeal within 5 years where everything including forensic evidence, the trial etc etc done by a different police force,a special independent home office unit that investigates the evidence and police performance in the investigation , decided by a different judge If it fails he/she dead within a week.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The death penalty clearly doesn't work.
Reply 2
The crime is horrific but the justice system should not be about revenge
Any first-degree murder should be an automatic and non-negotiable life sentence with no possibility of parole or early release. Second-degree murder and rape should be an automatic and non-negotiable 30-year sentence with no possibility of early release, but possibility for parole (second-degree murder being driven by passion rather than pre-meditation).

Same with war crimes, crime against humanity, crimes against peace, etc.

Justice is about sending a message, but that message must also occupy the moral high ground. State-sanctioned murder does not do that.
Original post by Aj12
The crime is horrific but the justice system should not be about revenge

But revenge isn't the only motivation,it is not for me. I am hugely pro life and I believe anyone who takes a life in such a horrific way and the defiles the corpse should lose theirs because they have shown society they don't value other peoples lives like we all should. And the death penalty can save lives, studies on states in the US that brought back the death penalty in the seventies suggest that for certain types of murders it does have a deterrent effect. But you won't find that study quoted by amnesty and by extension the BBC or the guardian. A professor from cambridge university quoted this study when arguing with someone saying the death penalty is not a deterrent.
Reply 5
Original post by Aphotic Cosmos

Why do people think that scum bag criminals deserve to live off of our taxes in a cute little cell of theirs? With a bed as well! The death penalty would deter a lot of people from committing such crimes.
why aren't i surprised that your source is from the daily mail?

what he did was horrific, but he should rot in jail. i think jail for natural life is much more of a punishment than death. i also think capital punishment is barbaric. i definitely think that a life sentence should mean life though, and not just 10 years or whatever this man gets.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Osman1993
Why do people think that scum bag criminals deserve to live off of our taxes in a cute little cell of theirs? With a bed as well! The death penalty would deter a lot of people from committing such crimes.

The UK has one of the lowest murder rates of any populous nation anywhere in the world, at just over 1 homicide per 100,000 people per annum. The US has approximately five times this rate despite most states, the federal government and the US military all retaining the death penalty on the statute books.

The death penalty is not an effective deterrent at all.
(edited 12 years ago)
Tbh seeing them locked up for life, suffering and going mad is better than giving them the death penalty, that's just the easy way out.
Original post by Aphotic Cosmos
Justice is about sending a message, but that message must also occupy the moral high ground. State-sanctioned murder does not do that.

idk why the state-sanctioned murder is better than state-sanctioned kidnap, or why it seems so stupid to describe prison that way but natural for people to describe hanging as murder. Locking someone in a box for 30 years would also be a horrific thing to do to someone who hasn't committed a crime, but that's rather the point, isn't it? What's the categorical difference between prison and hanging? Seems rather more like squeamishness - prison is slow psychological torture, and you don't really see it, and you can always say you might undo it later, but with hanging, you have to look what you are doing square in the face. Personally I can't say I am uncomfortable with it in a situation like this, where there is little doubt of guilt and absolutely no justification.
Original post by Bellissima
why aren't i surprised that your source is from the daily mail?

what he did was horrific, but he should rot in jail. i think jail for natural life is much more of a punishment than death. i also think capital punishment is barbaric. i definitely think that a life sentence should mean life though, and not just 10 years or whatever this man gets.

The ECHR regards life without possibility of parole as barbaric also.
Reply 11
Original post by Ministerdonut
Instead I propose a system similar to the US where there is a death penalty hearing involving a jury after a guilty plea. Where the jury decides on either life imprisonment , natural life imprisonment or death. Although I wouldn't have a death row, one appeal within 5 years where everything including forensic evidence, the trial etc etc done by a different police force,a special independent home office unit that investigates the evidence and police performance in the investigation , decided by a different judge If it fails he/she dead within a week.

That all sounds rather expensive to me.

I think i'll stick with locking them up for life, thanks. Even from a purely retribution perspective, personally I'd rather die than have life in prison. Keep murderers alive and let them suffer!
Reply 12
It's quite interesting.
Cases like these reopen debates about whether the death penalty should be brought back to the UK...hence this thread.

I doubt it will be brought back, even if a lot of people do support it.
But the thing is, people should have several decades behind bars for crimes like these if there's no death penalty. And prisons should be brutal places to be. (Not as extreme as North Korean prisons) but just generally miserable places to be.

There was a story recently about prisoners complaining about not getting enough Sky Sports channels...what?!
They shouldn't be getting it at all, let alone more channels!

Our justice system needs to be more severe so that it serves as a good deterrent.
Misterdonut
Instead I propose a system similar to the US...

The US really messes around with absurdly drawn-out appeals and things. When we had hanging in the UK there were no special appeals, but the sentence had to be carried out within a set number of days (30, I think?) or it was commuted to life imprisonment. So if you had serious grounds for appeal, that was more or less automatic reduction to prison, which seems like a rather nicer way of dealing with dubious cases like Troy Davis than having 20 years of time-wasting and then killing them anyway.
Reply 14
After all, as we've seen in America recently, the justice system is never wrong.
Original post by Ministerdonut
The ECHR regards life without possibility of parole as barbaric also.

that is their opinion. i think it it is a just punishment in SOME cases (maybe not this one, more with serial killers).. i just think our sentencing needs to be more appropriate. i think it's is wrong that someone can premeditivly murder someone yet only recieve 10-20 years... this man deserves at least 40-50 years.
Original post by qasidb
It's quite interesting.
Cases like these reopen debates about whether the death penalty should be brought back to the UK...hence this thread.

I doubt it will be brought back, even if a lot of people do support it.
But the thing is, people should have several decades behind bars for crimes like these if there's no death penalty. And prisons should be brutal places to be. (Not as extreme as North Korean prisons) but just generally miserable places to be.

There was a story recently about prisoners complaining about not getting enough Sky Sports channels...what?!
They shouldn't be getting it at all, let alone more channels!

Our justice system needs to be more severe so that it serves as a good deterrent.

they are miserable places to be... i don't think anyone who has seen a prison would say it isn't an awful place to be.
Reply 17
You can't just keep throwing serious criminals in prison for life. If you have seen the news recently, the govt. has revealed that the prisons are almost at full capacity. What are we gonna do when they are full? The taxpayer can't be expected to keep propping up new prisons in the future, nor would they accept criminals leaving earlier than they're meant to, to free up some space. Introducing the death penalty can help this problem, but not by using the lethal injection. The lethal injection is an expensive method and if done correctly, not painful. Hanging, however is a much cheaper option and would be a bigger disincentive to stop crime, as it is a much more painful way to die, and would be seen as much more justified in many taxpayers eyes.

All the legal proceedings towards capital punishment should also be reduced to a minimum, to keep costs down. And only those who are 100% guilty, should be subject to it.
Reply 18
I agree totally.

It's immediately and painfully clear that those two made such a lovely couple. The juxtaposition of their beautiful wedding pictures with that absolute sack of **** almost made me tear up for a second, odd considering I'm the type of guy who would not normally even blink at something such as this. It's just her sheer beauty and his happiness that's making me mad looking at this.

I genuinely think that he should be executed by hanging as opposed to lethal injection. Islamic countries have got it right on one major point, they wouldn't let filth like this live simply because of some wishy-washy liberal ideals.
(edited 12 years ago)
all capital punishments are barbaric. i think that the 'eye for an eye' mentality is archaic, and hypocritical. So the man may have killed this young woman, but would that justify gassing or electrocuting him?

And as Aphotic Cosmos said, the death penalty does not act as a deterrant. we can't have a reason for capital punishment as 'the prisons are at full capacity'. It's less than one year sentences etc that are the real problem with prison crowdedness.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending