Demands of the Timetable... Watch

Austin1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi,

I'm a mature student (43) currently studying Access to HE (Biology, Maths, English) in college. I want to go on to Uni next year to read Zoology (1st Choice, Newcastle).

Can anyone give me an insight into the structure and attendance demands of a typical Uni timetable? I'm just trying to plan ahead to resolve any conflicts with my other commitments (work, children etc.) Fortunately I work from home and can be quite flexible with my hours but it's quite hard to get info/example timetables until you are already at Uni. The information seems to be jealously guarded!

I guess my ideal answer would be for a 1st year Zoology student from Newcastle Uni to get back to me on this, but any information would be welcome.

Thanks in advance!
ratherchloe
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Austin1)
Hi,

I'm a mature student (43) currently studying Access to HE (Biology, Maths, English) in college. I want to go on to Uni next year to read Zoology (1st Choice, Newcastle).

Can anyone give me an insight into the structure and attendance demands of a typical Uni timetable? I'm just trying to plan ahead to resolve any conflicts with my other commitments (work, children etc.) Fortunately I work from home and can be quite flexible with my hours but it's quite hard to get info/example timetables until you are already at Uni. The information seems to be jealously guarded!

I guess my ideal answer would be for a 1st year Zoology student from Newcastle Uni to get back to me on this, but any information would be welcome.

Thanks in advance!
Hi I've just started Biology which shares a common first year with Zoology. The course is pretty full on, unlike other courses we have a lot of contact hours so you'll be in 5 days a week definitely. The timetable changes week to week so I'll just give you a random one:

Mon: 10am-1pm practical, 2pm-3pm seminar

Tue: 9am-10am lecture, 11am-12pm lecture, 12pm-2pm practical, 3pm-5pm practical

Wed: 9am-10am lecture

Thu: 9am-10am lecture, 10am-11am lecture, 12pm-1pm lecture, 2pm-3pm lecture, 3pm-6pm practical

Fri: 9am-10am lecture, 10am-11am lecture, 12pm-1pm lecture

Like I said it changes every week but that's an example. Hope that helped!
Austin1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Thanks ratherchloe,

That's perfect, very helpful. So, I have to try and plan for pretty fulltime hours attendance monday to friday. It ain't gonna be easy.

Is there any flexibility at all? On thursday there isn't even time to grab a sandwich at lunchtime in your example!
RA3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
There is, between 11pm and 12pm
ratherchloe
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Austin1)
Thanks ratherchloe,

That's perfect, very helpful. So, I have to try and plan for pretty fulltime hours attendance monday to friday. It ain't gonna be easy.

Is there any flexibility at all? On thursday there isn't even time to grab a sandwich at lunchtime in your example!
Nah no flexibility, but yeah on that Thursday there is a gap between 11 and 12 for lunch there might be a quick 5 minutes between lectures to stretch your legs but I'm not sure.
JamHeadArt
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi, I'm a mature student too, but studying Chemistry.
I've went from doing only two days at college to near full-time hours at Uni. My timetable reflects the one above, I get Wednesday and Friday afternoons off with sporadic hour breaks here and there. The attendance is measured too (I originally didn't think it was) so there's no way to skip too many lectures/tutorials without being collared for it.
JamHeadArt
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Oh, I had a little browse and found this:

http://splus.ncl.ac.uk/Reporting/Ind...1-52&combined=

link to zoology first year timetable. The numbers at the bottom right of the box are what weeks you will be doing that lesson and obviously the days are at the left. Hope that helps

Oh yeah and at Newcastle the first week is actually week 11/12...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Newcastle University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 6 Feb '19
  • Newcastle University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
  • Newcastle University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Jun '19

Do you think the internet has made political discussion more aggressive?

Yes (36)
97.3%
No (1)
2.7%

Watched Threads