Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I am thinking about applying to study English at the Universty of Cumbria, but I'm not sure of a few things.

1) There seems to be a lot of complaints regarding this Uni, yet the English department is ranked 17 on the guardian. Should I save my time and look elsewhere?

2) How exactly is the course examined: Is it mostly exams, coursework, oral work or a mixture?

3) How many contact hours are there?

4) Is there accomodation close to the campus?

5) How many people are there currently studying at the Lancaster campus?

I await your replies

ReputationRep:
    i'm going for an open day there tomorrow to look at english and also primary ed, so i'll let you know how it goes/how it seems if you want?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by louu21)
    i'm going for an open day there tomorrow to look at english and also primary ed, so i'll let you know how it goes/how it seems if you want?
    Yeah that would be great, thanks

ReputationRep:
    i pretty much loved it, however it was my first uni open day. So i can't really say. Accommodation is pretty poor, (none of the rooms have en-suite) but it is overall a really nice campus because its small, and the lecturers seemed really nice , however I was told to apply asap due to number of people applying, i wasn't able to go to the english talk, but be warned grade requirements may have changed because they have for teaching! hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    That's plenty of help thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jimicakes)
    That's plenty of help thanks.
    oh if you want self catered accommodation its about 10mins away from the campus

ReputationRep:
    Hi there!
    I'm currently a third year student on this course. I may have some answers for you
    Hello, I am thinking about applying to study English at the Universty of Cumbria, but I'm not sure of a few things.

1) There seems to be a lot of complaints regarding this Uni, yet the English department is ranked 17 on the guardian. Should I save my time and look elsewhere?

You do have to remeber that UOC is a very new university, it's only around 4 years old as a University. The English degree is different from other courses around the country as it runs an "employability" module thoughout the course. If you think about it, if all you do thoughout your degree is write essays, then how different are you from the other 20,000 english graduates. Remeber also, that it was ranked 17th, and at the end of the day, it should be the course ranking you look at, not the Univeristy as a whole, as we have several different campus sites. Lancaster campus is really good!

2) How exactly is the course examined: Is it mostly exams, coursework, oral work or a mixture?
    Massive mixture. You have essays, presentations, web page designs, projects, reports, and even the essays are varied in style, such as writing as Joesph Conrad in reponse to "Things Fall Apart". Like I said, the degree isnt just about writing essays, you get oppertunties to try lots of different things.

3) How many contact hours are there?
    You will be in lectures and seminars for around 9 hours a week, however all the lecturers are really good with office hours and emails if you are stuck and will help you if you need extra help

4) Is there accomodation close to the campus?
    There are several on site hall of residence. These are catered accomidation, with two different programmes depending on how much you want to cook. I personally chose the off-site halls (10 min walk away from campus) because it was self catered and I wanted to cook for myself, but it's down to personal choice. Heres a link to the accomidation site
    http://www.cumbria.ac.uk/StudentLife...ster/Home.aspx

Lancaster campus is mostly teaching and medical students, of which there are quite a lot! English wise, there are currently around 30 in the 3rd year, 40 in the second year and around 70 in the first year

Heres a link to the english department and if you have any more questions, I can try and help
    http://www.cumbria.ac.uk/AboutUs/Sub...lish/Home.aspx

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently doing an English and Creative writing degree at Cumbria.

I can only go by my own experience and I have nothing to complain about. The English department is brilliant. The lecturers really are great. The fact that it's quite a small campus and there aren't too many on the course means that you really feel supported.

It's a mixture. Although I've had a lot more essays than anything else. I've had one exam over the course of the degree. I've also managed to avoid having to do a presentation. (I wouldn't have been able to do that if I was taking purely English.)

3) How many contact hours are there? Not a lot, that's true of any English course. It's usually about 7-9 hours.

4) Is there accomodation close to the campus? Yes, right on campus. Accommodation isn't the best though. They don't have en-suite which is what I'd have wanted. I live at home though so it makes no difference to me.

Not sure about that. There's about 30 on the joint programme I think.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 13, 2012
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.