Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have Asperger's Syndrome and Clinical Depression which affects everybody in different ways, for me its more the organisation and thought pattern of my work and my ability to actually concentrate when I'm on a low; my situation is quite complex. I can express myself much better speaking than on paper (hence I am applying for Law with the hope to become a Human Rights barrister). I'm just wondering if this will affect how the universities I choose to apply to will view my grades. I know legally they cannot discriminate against me, but in real terms does anybody know if having a disability negatively affects the application process (e.g. anecdotes etc) Sorry this is such an open-ended question, just looking for some advice. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Hi. I have been in a very similar position for the last few months, as I have AS as well, though not depression. I think I did make a thread on that recently, so I will try and find it and link it. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1735395
    this might be a bit helpful.
    I also had a really good chat with a guy at Bham uni, who categorically told me that the admissions tutors take no notice of this, assuming it has no impact on your academic study. even if it does, it will be taken into account, but they must only use it to help them decide if you are capable of studying the course, not whether or not you can communicate particuarly well. Ironically, I find it much easier to write than to speak, but thats how AS affects me!
    Feel free to PM me as I have thought quite a lot about this recently, and seeing as I also have AS, might be good to share ideas/concerns. xxx

ReputationRep:
    Hi.

I also have Asperger's and although it isn't a serious condition for me (more social interaction than affecting my work), I decided to declare it on my UCAS form. It didn't affect me negatively at all; in fact, it may have done the opposite. It meant that the universities I applied for were more aware of my situation so, for example, sent me information about disability services and how they might be able to help if I went to that university (quiet accommodation etc).

I doubt any university would discriminate.

Hope this helps, feel free to ask more questions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hogwartian1993)
    I have Asperger's Syndrome and Clinical Depression which affects everybody in different ways, for me its more the organisation and thought pattern of my work and my ability to actually concentrate when I'm on a low; my situation is quite complex. I can express myself much better speaking than on paper (hence I am applying for Law with the hope to become a Human Rights barrister). I'm just wondering if this will affect how the universities I choose to apply to will view my grades. I know legally they cannot discriminate against me, but in real terms does anybody know if having a disability negatively affects the application process (e.g. anecdotes etc) Sorry this is such an open-ended question, just looking for some advice. Thanks.
    They cannot and will bot discriminate against you.

Best of Luck in your course M

ReputationRep:
    its best to be up front and honest with them at the start. good luck to you

ReputationRep:
    They're not officially allowed to discriminate against you. If they do, i think you could take it further...

ReputationRep:
    thats excellent kuroshokora! I have decided to not actually it by ticking the disability box, but my tutor has mentioned it in her reference. the main reason for this being, like you it doesn't affect my academic work, but more my social interaction and communication and friendships. I also don't have an official diagnosis, as its a long process, and me and my parents are not really sure it is worth it, at least, not for the time being. things may change in the future.

ReputationRep:
    No university will not consider you for having a disability. If you declare it, the university will be able to help you with anything you might struggle with.

I didn't declare having an ASD on my UCAS (as I used to go to Special Needs classes and hated it). But once I started uni, I changed my mind and informed my uni. My uni have lent me a dictaphone whilst my DSA is being processed. They also offered to give me a personal mentor to discuss any social issues I might have.

In short, just go for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mespannerhanz)
    thats excellent kuroshokora! I have decided to not actually it by ticking the disability box, but my tutor has mentioned it in her reference. the main reason for this being, like you it doesn't affect my academic work, but more my social interaction and communication and friendships. I also don't have an official diagnosis, as its a long process, and me and my parents are not really sure it is worth it, at least, not for the time being. things may change in the future.
    I did state in the part where it asked for more information that it's largely a social issue not an academic one for me. I wasn't sure whether I needed to say, as it didn't make much of a difference to my application, but I'm glad I did. If only so that I'm more aware of the possible help available, should I need it

ReputationRep:
    Tick the box!
    It allows universities that make an offer to get in touch via their disability support dept.

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.