Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I thought I'd make this thread, mostly for myself but also for anyone else' benefit. I've just started college, and personally I am always quite shy with new people and worried that it will be awkward and so on. And even when I have spoken to people during a lesson or whatever, I almost don't understand how anyone ever goes from talking to someone during a lesson, to making friends with them properly and spending time together out of lessons.. if that makes sense?

So please post your advice and tips about meeting new people and making friends. And please no "this thread again", because I wanted to make a general thread that wasn't specific to one's person's situation as most of them usually are. So try to be helpful or don't bother!

ReputationRep:
    Keep pestering them each lesson, then go grab some food with them, then do some extra work with them, then go out for a drink or to the cinema with them.

ReputationRep:
    start up a conversation and progress it

ReputationRep:
    oh i feel the same way
    i'm starting Uni tomorrow and realised that, although i've always had lots of friends, i've had the same group of friends for years
    I haven't made a new friend off my own back since i was 11...they seem to just be people that get absorbed into the group, or friends OH's

So basically, i've forgotten how to make friends :P

ReputationRep:
    Talk about things you have in common and then talk about doing stuff at the weekend together once you're both comfortable around each other.

Small talk first, then as you start to spend time with each other outside of college, you can start talking about more personal things, which will deepen your friendship with that person

ReputationRep:
    ..bump?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 4, 2011
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.