Turn on thread page Beta

Have you ever told your family members about your suicidal feelings? watch

Announcements

I'm planning to tell my family but I don't know whether I should. Any thoughts or experience?

I never have, but if you're ready to, then you really should. It shows that you want help and support which is a very strong thing to ask for in such a delicate situation.

If you're feeling suicidal, you need to tell someone about it. If you have a supportive family, they'll want to know and help you all they can. Don't keep it quiet. I tried for too long and it just got worse and worse. It's a good feeling to finally have someone in your close friends/family who you can talk to totally honestly about how you're feeling.

I tried to tell my parents but it went badly for me. My Dad shouted at me for letting down the family and told me I was no longer his daughter as far as he was concerned. He then dragged me downstairs after I tried to run crying to my room and kicked and punched me while I lay on the floor. My Mom stood watching, too scared to try and stop him. He's never really been violent before but this time he really lost it.

Never mentioned it to the parents again, however I told my grandparents and they've been so supportive.

My advice is just to make sure you tell the right person, and be completely honest and open about it.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    I tried to tell my parents but it went badly for me. My Dad shouted at me for letting down the family and told me I was no longer his daughter as far as he was concerned. He then dragged me downstairs after I tried to run crying to my room and kicked and punched me while I lay on the floor. My Mom stood watching, too scared to try and stop him. He's never really been violent before but this time he really lost it.
    :eek: why did he do that!?

I told my mum and she wasn't supportive at all. She was more ashamed of me for being depressed.

:eek: why did he do that!?
    I had told him about my social anxiety disorder as well as suicidal thoughts, and asked him if he could help me get professional treatment. He thinks it's just "selfish, attention-seeking behaviour" and I'm doing all this to waste his time and money.

I'm afraid that if I try and tell my mum of my suicidal feelings she won't believe me and blame it on me being a teenager. Trying to explain that these feelings were/are real is something I just can't bare to do. I hope I can get help elsewhere once I leave for university next year.

ReputationRep:
    I told my mum and she wasn't supportive at all. She was more ashamed of me for being depressed.
    This is what happened to me.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I ended up telling my mum after I tried to throw myself in my Oxford college lake. She told my dad because I couldn't bear to.

After that my dad came up to Oxford every night to sleep on the floor in front of my door (so that I couldn't go walkabouts) until I did my Finals. So that was for about 2 months

My mum was upset with me and didn't really believe me. She said 'you can't say things like that to your mother' and my father just ignored it. They still think it's normal.

ReputationRep:
    Over the years I have felt depressed but I do not think that those feelings have ever resulted in me being suicidal. Perhaps I have said on the spur of the moment, "I wish I was dead", but I would never even dream of killing myself. If I wanted to, I don't think I could tell my parents as I would be too ashamed.

Mine didn't take me seriously and told me to stop joking with things like that.

Then my Dad got recalled from Afghanistan when I od'd and they both apologised for ignoring it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm planning to tell my family but I don't know whether I should. Any thoughts or experience?
    Don't tell them. It won't help. Nobody understands, family less so than most, for some reason. I wouldn't, haven't and don't tell mine, they wouldn't get it.

ReputationRep:
    My mum knew I had problems for a long time, but after a particularly nasty day I told her - she was absoutely wonderful. She went to the ends of the earth for me and I know she'll always be there if I'm feeling crap again. Sometimes she said things she thought would be helpful but weren't, and sometimes she said all the right things, but at the end of the day I knew she was saying them because she cared.

Try it. You never know.

ReputationRep:
    no i haven't, told my sister that i felt depressed once, she said 'what do you have to be depressed about?' so i don't think i ever will to be honest

ReputationRep:
    I did feel like that only once in my life and I shared it with my mother. It was the right decision in my case, as it was a great help for my recovery.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone in my family has taught me to be "independent". That basically means "deal with your own **** yourself because that's what all of us have had to do" so no, no I haven't and I don't think I ever will.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I never have. It's a personal decision - there's no 'upside' to telling someone unless you want to be talked out of it, which if you do want to be talked out of it means you don't want to do it in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    Well, it depends, why do you want to tell them?

If you are feeling so low, shouldn't they have noticed that something is wrong anyway?

You don't have to tell them, you could tell somebody else that you trust.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's a good idea to tell anyone you're suicidal because it can create a lot of problems. It will be rare to find anyone who will be completely understanding, and also they will tell everyone else or they will think you are mentally ill, etc.

The best thing to do is tell them you are extremely depressed, but don't tell them you are suicidal.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 26, 2011
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.