Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I came across this word today, when my lecturer explained it to us but I didn't understand him properly and the explanations on the internet are just as confusing. I was just wondering if anyone has a simple way of explaining this to me with examples. Thanks.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    In the context of what? Groups? Vector spaces? Modules? Fields?

In any case, if X is some object (e.g. group, space, module, field) then \theta: X \to X is an automorphism if \theta is an isomorphism. That is, an automorphism is an isomorphism from an object to itself.

So for example if G is a group then the identity map G \to G which maps g \mapsto g is a group automorphism. And so is the inversion map g \mapsto g^{-1}. As another example, the complex conjugation map \mathbb{C} \to \mathbb{C} given by z \mapsto \bar{z} is a field automorphism. A final example is if V is a vector space of dimension n over a field F and A \in \text{GL}_n(F) then the map v \mapsto Av is a vector space automorphism.

ReputationRep:
    For a more interesting example, consider field extensions. Let K be some field. A field extension is then a field L containing K as a subfield, and a morphism of field extensions is a homomorphism of fields leaving K invariant. An automorphism of the field extension L/K is then an isomorphism of fields L \to L leaving K invariant. So, for example, let K = \mathbb{R} and L = \mathbb{C}; then complex conjugation is an automorphism of the field extension L/K. But there are other field isomorphisms \mathbb{C} \to \mathbb{C}... they just don't happen to keep \mathbb{R} invariant.

ReputationRep:
    Another example. If G is a group and g \in G then the map \phi_g : G \rightarrow G that conjugates by g (ie, \phi_g(x) = g^{-1} x g ) is an automorphism of G. These conjugation maps are called inner automorphisms. In fact, the set of these, \{ \phi_g : g \in G \} , is a group under composition and is written \text{Inn}(G). You can show using the first isomorphism theorem that \text{Inn}(G) \cong G / Z(G) where Z(G) = \{ g \in G : \forall x \in G, gx = xg \} is the centre of G

ReputationRep:
    a 1-2-1 correspondence mapping the elements of a Set onto itself, so the domain and range of the function are the same. e.g. f(x)=x+1 is an automorphism on R, but g(x)=sin (x) isn`t - range (- inifn,+infin), range (-1,1).

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. So if I wanted to show that  \theta :  G \to G defined by  \theta (g) = g^{-1} is an automorphism of G where G is an Abelian group, I just show that it is isomorphic?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JBKProductions)
    Thanks. So if I wanted to show that  \theta :  G \to G defined by  \theta (g) = g^{-1} is an automorphism of G where G is an Abelian group, I just show that it is isomorphic?
    Yep.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slumpy)
    Yep.
    To show isomorphism, I have to show that it is a bijective map but I can't seem to show that it's both injective and surjective.
    Let  x, y \in G . Since G is Abelian  x * y = y * x then  \theta (x*y) = \theta (y*x) and I'm stuck there. Am I doing it the wrong way to show injectivity?

ReputationRep:
    To show isomorphism, I have to show that it is a bijective map but I can't seem to show that it's both injective and surjective.
    Let  x, y \in G . Since G is Abelian  x * y = y * x then  \theta (x*y) = \theta (y*x) and I'm stuck there. Am I doing it the wrong way to show injectivity?
    What does that have to do with injectivity?

The easiest way to proceed in this case is to show that \theta has an inverse. And it's obvious what the inverse is: \theta itself. So \theta is not only an automorphism but also an involution.

ReputationRep:
    To show injectivity, suppose  \theta (y) = \theta (x) . Now show x=y.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zhen Lin)
    What does that have to do with injectivity?

The easiest way to proceed in this case is to show that \theta has an inverse. And it's obvious what the inverse is: \theta itself. So \theta is not only an automorphism but also an involution.
    Thanks I had forgot about that. I just thought that since they mentioned Abelian, I had to use that as part of it. So it's enough to just say  \theta (g) = g^{-1} then  g = \theta^{-1} (g^{-1}) \Rightarrow \theta^{-1} = \theta therefore bijective and so on?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks I had forgot about that. I just thought that since they mentioned Abelian, I had to use that as part of it.
    You do.

So it's enough to just say  \theta (g) = g^{-1} then  g = \theta^{-1} (g^{-1}) \Rightarrow \theta^{-1} = \theta therefore bijective and so on?
    That establishes that \theta is a bijection. But how do you know it's a homomorphism in the first place?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zhen Lin)
    You do.

That establishes that \theta is a bijection. But how do you know it's a homomorphism in the first place?
    To show that it is a homomorphism I have to show  \theta (x*y) = \theta (x) * \theta (y) right?
    Here's what I tried (Which could be and probably is very wrong!):
     \theta (x*y) = (x*y)^{-1} = y^{-1} * x^{-1} = \theta (y) * \theta (x) = \theta (x) * \theta (y) since Abelian so its a homomorphism?

ReputationRep:
    To show that it is a homomorphism I have to show  \theta (x*y) = \theta (x) * \theta (y) right?
    Here's what I tried (Which could be and probably is very wrong!):
     \theta (x*y) = (x*y)^{-1} = y^{-1} * x^{-1} = \theta (y) * \theta (x) = \theta (x) * \theta (y) since Abelian so its a homomorphism?
    That works.

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Equations

Best calculators for A level Maths

Tips on which model to get

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.