Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    2
    ReputationRep:
    Hi, really struggling at the moment, this is an AS level chemistry question on a sheet i have been given. Can anyone give me any advice on this please?

    "Tin ore, known as cassiterite, contains an oxide of tin. This oxide contains 78.8% tin by mass. Calculate the empirical formula of this oxide. You must show your working"

    Thankyou!
    Offline

    19
    So if tin makes up 78.8% of the mass, oxygen must make up the remaining 21.2%.

    Divide each percentage by the relative atomic mass, this will give you a ratio of elements in the compound. Find a way to convert these numbers to whole numbers :yes:
    Offline

    15
    ReputationRep:
    And adding to post #2
    If the numbers are relatively near to a whole number then you should just round it

    Unless it's near to half, then double the numbers and you should get the answer too
 
 
 
Reply
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 30, 2011

University open days

  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 24 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reply
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.