Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Right I never got around to do doing it over the holidays but now I'm back at uni it'll be easier to sort my own food out.

So I'm 5ft 7 and weigh 136lbs (though my weight fluctuates, relating to the unstable in-take of calories.). I'm not overweight, but although my job is quite physical, I really don't exercise outside of that bar going for long walks on occasion. So it's time to sort it out. I'm not looking to gain a load of muscle mass here, it's just making the diet healthy so that with a good deal of cardio(going to try long jogs most days and HIIT) , I can work to sort out the flab from being out of shape. Where as right now I do have a load of processed foods and have bad eating habits, I need a meal plan basically.

So really it's just recommendations on food groups to focus on, calories I should aim for a day etc. If anyone has actual links to sites with guides on this that would be just as good as personal suggestions.

cheers for any advice folks.

Also one specific question. I drink quite a lot of tea, and like to have things like biscuits with a cup of tea, which are bad for fat content. Jaffa cakes aren't so bad relative to others but I dislike them, can anyone think of a substitute which is remotely acceptable health wise?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by joey11223)
    Right I never got around to do doing it over the holidays but now I'm back at uni it'll be easier to sort my own food out.

So I'm 5ft 7 and weigh 136lbs (though my weight fluctuates, relating to the unstable in-take of calories.). I'm not overweight, but although my job is quite physical, I really don't exercise outside of that bar going for long walks on occasion. So it's time to sort it out. I'm not looking to gain a load of muscle mass here, it's just making the diet healthy so that with a good deal of cardio(going to try long jogs most days and HIIT) , I can work to sort out the flab from being out of shape. Where as right now I do have a load of processed foods and have bad eating habits, I need a meal plan basically.

So really it's just recommendations on food groups to focus on, calories I should aim for a day etc. If anyone has actual links to sites with guides on this that would be just as good as personal suggestions.

cheers for any advice folks.

Also one specific question. I drink quite a lot of tea, and like to have things like biscuits with a cup of tea, which are bad for fat content. Jaffa cakes aren't so bad relative to others but I dislike them, can anyone think of a substitute which is remotely acceptable health wise?
    If you're already within normal bounds of body fat% then it should be fairly straight forward. Eat on or about your BMR ( I tried linking you, google it and it'll bring up a calculator), try to have slow releasing carbs in the morning, oats for example, and a higher protein to fat/carb than you normally would. It goes without saying that you'll need to hit the cardio, however for you to work away the flab it'll be beneficial for you to tone up as well, get into heavy lifting three times a week, that should be a decent start.

A note about the tea drinking, change it to green tea, that is meant to aid weight loss, also avoid sugar in the tea, on the biscuit front, it might have to be a sacrifice you're going to have to just make

hoped this helped slightly, if you want more feel free to quote or PM,

Tom

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 30, 2011
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered nutrition and supplements threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.