Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I moved into my house last Fri, and it quickly became apparent there was a lot wrong with the place. For starters it's dirty...inside kitchen drawers, cupboards was filthy and most of the rest of the house too there was also various things falling apart/broken, and the fridge isn't working properly (too warm).

Me and my housemates drew up a long list and gave it to her on Monday, she came round to check the place and agreed to fix the things this week. Nothing has been done though, I've sent multiple texts with no response. Now I have paid 1 months rent but not 3 months as was in the contract, as I'm very unhappy about this, but she is demanding the rest of the money. My witholding the money obviously worried her as today she came round (let herself in), opened my housemates post with his rent cheque in and took it which I'm pretty sure is illegal!

I don't trust these people one bit, I do have great housemates though and I want to stay here now, I just want the work to be done but I don't think she has any intention of doing it, can anyone advise what should I do? do I have any legal recourse here?

ReputationRep:
    She stole something from your housemate, if everyone is willing to swear by that fact get the police involved.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phenomenological)
    She stole something from your housemate, if everyone is willing to swear by that fact get the police involved.
    Sorry forgot to mention in my haste, she did write a note explaining (she was worried about the money going missing...yeah right!) but we both agreed that was totally out of order. It's been cashed now and can't be cancelled apparently.

ReputationRep:
    No, she can't do that. Writing a letter doesn't excuse theft. Go to the police.

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you try to write to her/phone her instead of texts? Especially if it's written in black and white then you may have a leg to stand on if legal action is needed. Send her a series of letters, each one a week after the other until she responds.
    Try cleaning everywhere to your standard as I do not think 'cleaning' is under the legislation. Also, did you have a look around the place before you bought? If so, why weren't these issues brought up with the landlord then? If not, why not?
    If you've signed a contract it won't look in your favour if you then decide you're not going to pay. Pay the three months and then see what your landlord does.. if you're okay with her then she might do the things you've asked. If she still doesn't co-operate then either take action (if you think it's worth it) or simply move out. Yes, you may lose money but if it makes you that unhappy... and court is pretty expensive also.
    Take photos of the evidence before you start cleaning/doing anything to the place to back up your argument.
    Make the place livable and decide what to do from there, even if you get someone in yourself to fix the fridge etc and possibly invoice your landlord for it (obviously after you've tried every way possible to get her to do it)

Do what you feel is right. Hope I've helped and good luck

ReputationRep:
    If its mainly cleaning then go to asda buy the cheap **** cleaning materials and get it done. TBH its probz already cost your more in texts, inn regards to the fridge if thats the only complaint she more likely to act on it.............................. ..........You lot make me feel wild i think my uni fridge only had alcohol in it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jennie027)
    Why don't you try to write to her/phone her instead of texts? Especially if it's written in black and white then you may have a leg to stand on if legal action is needed. Send her a series of letters, each one a week after the other until she responds.
    Try cleaning everywhere to your standard as I do not think 'cleaning' is under the legislation. Also, did you have a look around the place before you bought? If so, why weren't these issues brought up with the landlord then? If not, why not?
    If you've signed a contract it won't look in your favour if you then decide you're not going to pay. Pay the three months and then see what your landlord does.. if you're okay with her then she might do the things you've asked. If she still doesn't co-operate then either take action (if you think it's worth it) or simply move out. Yes, you may lose money but if it makes you that unhappy... and court is pretty expensive also.
    Take photos of the evidence before you start cleaning/doing anything to the place to back up your argument.
    Make the place livable and decide what to do from there, even if you get someone in yourself to fix the fridge etc and possibly invoice your landlord for it (obviously after you've tried every way possible to get her to do it)

Do what you feel is right. Hope I've helped and good luck
    I might try with the letters. However I have been going to see her and I've tried phoning her (she will never answer it)

I'm not gonna pay any more for now though. It's all so dodgy, they obviously don't care about our welfare one bit and it's starting to feel like a big scam. If they kick me out then fine, but at least if my deposit is protected I should have a chance of getting that back. For anyone who says 'well you looked around and you signed the contract', of course I didn't go around opening windows, testing appliances, opening drawers and cupboards etc etc.

(Original post by brokenangel)
    If its mainly cleaning then go to asda buy the cheap **** cleaning materials and get it done. TBH its probz already cost your more in texts, inn regards to the fridge if thats the only complaint she more likely to act on it.............................. ..........You lot make me feel wild i think my uni fridge only had alcohol in it
    It's not the only complaint, there's loads of things. I dunno if you'd want to pay a lot in rent to live in a ****hole while the landlord is making a quick buck off you, I don't!

ReputationRep:
    FYI, opening some elses post is illegal for starters. And if it states in the contract that the house would be clean and livable and it isnt then they are the one breaking the contract.

ReputationRep:
    To add to the other posts, she probably has to give you 24 hours notice before coming into your house; check your contract.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stardog32)
    I might try with the letters. However I have been going to see her and I've tried phoning her (she will never answer it)

I'm not gonna pay any more for now though. It's all so dodgy, they obviously don't care about our welfare one bit and it's starting to feel like a big scam. If they kick me out then fine, but at least if my deposit is protected I should have a chance of getting that back. For anyone who says 'well you looked around and you signed the contract', of course I didn't go around opening windows, testing appliances, opening drawers and cupboards etc etc.
    I think the letters are a good idea, but obviously it's your situation and you have to deal with it how you see fit.
    Fair enough, but wouldn't you have seen that it was unclean when you looked around? To be honest, you should do what you think is best for this situation, why don't you try asking your parents for advice? Hope this all works out for you.

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.