Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I am a Chinese come from Hk last year to have my sixth form education. I am now considering study abroad to america, hopefully Harvard, can any 'experts' chance or give advice to mw?? ><><
    I have achieved 7 As in my AS, which is Phy (self-study), Chem, Bio, Econ, Math, Fur Math, Chinese. And I was predicted by the teacher to have 6 A* in all my A2 subjects, the one I haven't got is bio which I have already dropped.
    For extra-cur, I am now a school prefect and vice chair of law society. While two years before I was team captain of rowing team and handball team in my old school.
    my sat result is quite poor aturally,
    CR 680
    Math 790
    Writing 640
    overall 2110
    and sat 2 result was
    Math 2 800
    phy 800
    chem 800
    I have acheived a few prize this year,
    national second of a econ competition (Challenge the Chancellor)
    Silver award in senior Math Challenge
    Bronze award in Chemistry Challenge

Also, I have worked in a law firm last summer for one month and for the year before, I was volunteered in a hospital in the ICU.
    Hope you guys can give me some advice, please^^^^^^^^

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I can only go off the fact my cousin was accepted into Harvard a few years ago, so my knowledge is relatively limited - but you certainly look like a solid applicant.

My only worry would be the SAT test. Very few applicants are accepted without at least 700+ in the CR and Writing section of the SAT and if they are accepted they almost certainly have a "hook" - sportsman, mother went to Yale etc.

Although tbh, if your national award is genuine, i.e. you beat out hundreds of thousands of your fellow countrymen to win it (and Harvard/Yale et al would know about it already - it has national stature) then that could easily be your hook.

If I was you, I'd certainly look to re-take the tests anyway if you get the chance.

Best of luck.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks very much but btw, do u think they will consider that English isn't my first language?

ReputationRep:
    The fact that you have 6 A-Levels and all As puts you in a great position to be admitted to Havard. However, you should improve on your SAT because US Universities take SAT very seriously (sometimes, in my opinion, even more so than A Levels )
    Since you are not a native english speaker, you should take the TOEFL. This tests your english skills.

ReputationRep:
    4 more days to go before the decision is made><

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by s199312315534)
    4 more days to go before the decision is made><
    so?....

ReputationRep:
    differed ><

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.