Generic 'How much is everyone living off?' question... Watch

aj-star
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
So I don't get a grant or a bursary or anything like that, and my maintenance loan doesn't even cover my accommodation so I have none left over. Using my savings and parents help, I should be on about £380 a month, but hoping to get a job up there of course! And hoping to spend less to save for summers and things. This is in York in self catered accommodation. I'm pretty good at budgeting, is there anything I would have to scrimp on? I do like to go out, a lot...
Rascacielos
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If you have £380 left over after your accommodation, you're doing very well.
aj-star
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rascacielos)
If you have £380 left over after your accommodation, you're doing very well.
Per month, as spending money for food and going out and things? Some people have said nights out are like £30 in York!
chlobofro
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
£4 a week. I'm living off my savings instead and looking for a job.
ak9779
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Is your £380 a month before or after accomodation? If your accomodation is yet to be taken out of that, you'd struggle... Otherwise, it's plenty.
aj-star
Rep:
?
(Original post by ak9779)
Is your £380 a month before or after accomodation? If your accomodation is yet to be taken out of that, you'd struggle... Otherwise, it's plenty.
It's after- I'm a fresher so my halls have been paid for so it's just nights out/food/shopping. But I'm going up with lots of pasta and pesto and things like face wipes and toothpaste?
Supermanben
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
380 is a lot you lucky *****
username334839
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
£380 a month is more than enough. I will be on £240 a month.
aj-star
Rep:
?
(Original post by Cravez)
£380 a month is more than enough. I will be on £240 a month.
Are you in catered halls? I kind of wish I had gone catered now!
username334839
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by aj-star)
Are you in catered halls? I kind of wish I had gone catered now!
nope
aj-star
Rep:
?
(Original post by Cravez)
nope
so like £60 a week for everything?!
crocker710
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
So I don't get a grant or a bursary or anything like that, and my maintenance loan doesn't even cover my accommodation so I have none left over. Using my savings and parents help, I should be on about £380 a month, but hoping to get a job up there of course! And hoping to spend less to save for summers and things. This is in York in self catered accommodation. I'm pretty good at budgeting, is there anything I would have to scrimp on? I do like to go out, a lot...
I'm on £100-£120 p.w. that's all accommodation paid at Lancaster and the first year was easy on that going out at least 3 times a week, not heavily pre-drinking and quite a few drinkings in clubs. That's also cinema and other nights like pub quiz's. That also left enough for christmas and easter ect. so you should be fine; a lot I could have cut back on if need's be, best of luck,

Tom
Rascacielos
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Per month, as spending money for food and going out and things? Some people have said nights out are like £30 in York!
Depends how much you drink etc. That's £95 per week - the average student probably lives on £40!

I'm managing OK on £30 and have been out a couple of times.
aj-star
Rep:
?
thanks a bunch for all your help!
i was hoping about £25 a week for food, £20 x 3 nights out, and the rest for little frivolities like magazines or coffees?
el1iot
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
thanks a bunch for all your help!
i was hoping about £25 a week for food, £20 x 3 nights out, and the rest for little frivolities like magazines or coffees?
£20 x 3 nights out a week? I'm sure you could do 2 nights out a week on £15 each time and then fill the rest of your time with free stuff.
aj-star
Rep:
?
(Original post by crocker710)
I'm on £100-£120 p.w. that's all accommodation paid at Lancaster and the first year was easy on that going out at least 3 times a week, not heavily pre-drinking and quite a few drinkings in clubs. That's also cinema and other nights like pub quiz's. That also left enough for christmas and easter ect. so you should be fine; a lot I could have cut back on if need's be, best of luck,

Tom

thank you! i also get money for christmas and easter so i don't have to save as such, but it would be nice to get a job to be able to afford to! i'm used to pre drinking a lot- lived in paris last year where the club prices were ridiculous so i'm ok with that! thanks for your help
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

I LOVE a Black Friday deal (261)
45%
Nah, Black Friday is pointless (174)
30%
I don't have an opinion (145)
25%

Watched Threads