Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm a Year '14' student currently doing A2s for the first time. In my second year I resat my AS'.

My initial results:

Maths: U
    English Lit: D (Two A's in coursework, U in final exam)
    Physics: U
    Geography: E

My results second time around:

Maths: D
    Physics: B (quite a high B)
    Geography AS: (High B)
    Geography A2: C (I hardly prepared for this, I was more focused on AS, I'm currently 14 UMS away from a B. I did A2 geography along side my AS retake. However, I'm also repeating A2 geography this year as I need to get a better grade if that makes sense)

I was disappointed with my results, I was expecting A in Maths, A in physics, B in Geography (AS)

I'm retaking (for the third time C2 and M2 in January, then C1 in June as well as C3 and C4 in July)

My predicted grades are:

Maths: E
    Physics: B
    Geography: B

I want to study Aeronautical Engineering at Liverpool University (offer: BBB), I really want to go there I love it there. I'm going for the open day tomorrow as well. My other options are mostly BBB and insurance BBC.

I hope I haven't lost any of you so far..

Basically, I know I'm capable of A's at A2. Going from U's to Bs is a massive improvement, but I only did around 2 hours revision in total per subject in the week before my exams. I'm even more determined to succeed this year and I'm aiming for A's. Maths went terribly and my maths department really do not want me staying on however I told them I need it for university, I don't know what they've predicted me in my actual reference but they showed me a sheet of paper saying my predicted grade is an E. My Physics teacher and Geography teacher both said they'll happily predict me an A if I ask them to, but their honest opinion of my capability is at LEAST a B.

SO lets sum this up

(Potential) predicted grades:

A
    A
    E

Actual AS results: BBD

This seems pretty messed up to me, I can write a good personal statement. I've nearly finished my Gold DOFE and I'm also doing an EPQ on an engineering topic.
    I also have work experience at an RAF base in the aeronautical department for 5 days.

Basically, do you think I will I get an offer?

I'm seriously worried I won't even get an offer from my first choice (Liverpool). Am I being paranoid? It does seem like the universities will challenge my predicted grades vs my current grades, but I just don't know.

I hope this thread makes sense and I apologise if it's been asked before I searched and couldn't find anything similar.

Edit: I know the course of choice is mostly maths based too, which won't hold me in good stead. But I've already started revising for C1/M2 in January which is something I've never done before. (Preparing early)

ReputationRep:
    Hey!

From experience when I was going through the whole ucas thing about 3yrs ago now my predicted grades were terrible it was something like BDD which was what was sent off to the 5 uni's. And two of them required BBB. I got offered a place for both despite my predicted grades. If your personal statement is excellent it will be better for you... Also do you know if people are interviewed for places at Liverpool Uni? Or do they usually just hand out places? This is because if it is interviews it can work to your advantage as you can explain what you have explained here face to face to convince them that your capable despite your predicted results!

ReputationRep:
    Maths shouldn't be predicting you an E simply because they don't want you staying on. You should be getting predicted a D at least. Bring this problem up: it's irritating how some maths departments only actually care about the ones who are doing well.

Having said that, predictions of ''AAD'' aren't much better than ''AAE''. My advice to you is to apply anyway, because it only costs you £22 to apply and you can always reapply next year after you have your results.

ReputationRep:
    I have to be honest and say that expecting the university to overlook a predicted maths grade 3 grades below what they are asking for is too much to hope for. You might do better to look for a course with a foundation year or to apply next year with your results in hand.

ReputationRep:
    They are predicting me an E based on a 30 ums drop at A2 (as its harder). This is without retakes. They know I'm doing 2 retakes in January which could bump my grade massively.

They also know I need a B for uni..
    Hmm, not too sure what to do here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by henrybrent)
    They are predicting me an E based on a 30 ums drop at A2 (as its harder). This is without retakes. They know I'm doing 2 retakes in January which could bump my grade massively.

They also know I need a B for uni..
    Hmm, not too sure what to do here
    Apply for a couple of foundations years too? Just make sure they'll accept people who are applying because they don't have the grades, as some only accept people who don't have the correct subjects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by henrybrent)
    I'm a Year '14' student currently doing A2s for the first time. In my second year I resat my AS'.

My initial results:

Maths: U
    English Lit: D (Two A's in coursework, U in final exam)
    Physics: U
    Geography: E

My results second time around:

Maths: D
    Physics: B (quite a high B)
    Geography AS: (High B)
    Geography A2: C (I hardly prepared for this, I was more focused on AS, I'm currently 14 UMS away from a B. I did A2 geography along side my AS retake. However, I'm also repeating A2 geography this year as I need to get a better grade if that makes sense)

I was disappointed with my results, I was expecting A in Maths, A in physics, B in Geography (AS)

I'm retaking (for the third time C2 and M2 in January, then C1 in June as well as C3 and C4 in July)

My predicted grades are:

Maths: E
    Physics: B
    Geography: B

I want to study Aeronautical Engineering at Liverpool University (offer: BBB), I really want to go there I love it there. I'm going for the open day tomorrow as well. My other options are mostly BBB and insurance BBC.

I hope I haven't lost any of you so far..

Basically, I know I'm capable of A's at A2. Going from U's to Bs is a massive improvement, but I only did around 2 hours revision in total per subject in the week before my exams. I'm even more determined to succeed this year and I'm aiming for A's. Maths went terribly and my maths department really do not want me staying on however I told them I need it for university, I don't know what they've predicted me in my actual reference but they showed me a sheet of paper saying my predicted grade is an E. My Physics teacher and Geography teacher both said they'll happily predict me an A if I ask them to, but their honest opinion of my capability is at LEAST a B.

SO lets sum this up

(Potential) predicted grades:

A
    A
    E

Actual AS results: BBD

This seems pretty messed up to me, I can write a good personal statement. I've nearly finished my Gold DOFE and I'm also doing an EPQ on an engineering topic.
    I also have work experience at an RAF base in the aeronautical department for 5 days.

Basically, do you think I will I get an offer?

I'm seriously worried I won't even get an offer from my first choice (Liverpool). Am I being paranoid? It does seem like the universities will challenge my predicted grades vs my current grades, but I just don't know.

I hope this thread makes sense and I apologise if it's been asked before I searched and couldn't find anything similar.

Edit: I know the course of choice is mostly maths based too, which won't hold me in good stead. But I've already started revising for C1/M2 in January which is something I've never done before. (Preparing early)
    If you can get your Maths grade to be predicted a B you stand a chance.

Make sure you apply for universities with lower offers as well though, just in case you miss out.

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure you are mathematically competent enough to do engineering? That may seem harsh but I know engineering to be a highly mathematical subject and you need to be top of your game to perform well...

That said and done, I'd go along with other people and suggest a foundation year, many universities do them for engineering but they are generally aimed at people who picked the 'wrong' subjects rather than those who didn't get the grades. You could still apply to L'Pool and a few others that offer a foundation year?

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.