Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/se...ody?CMP=twt_fd

Really i do not see how the police can walk away from this one unscarred, but as usual the corrupt IPCC will let them off the hook.

ReputationRep:
    Horrendous. I can imagine this sort of thing happening in America, but now it seems to be spreading here as well. What's next? Tax payers funding waterboarding for prisoners held without charges in Guentanamo Bay?

OH WAIT

ReputationRep:
    Calling the police, hanging up, mentioning firearms and then not doing what the police say when they arrive. The big deal in all of that is the mention of firearms, which makes it a potentially life threatening situation for everyone involved, parents, police and the guy they arrested.

The way he's described in the Guardian as not believing that they were real police officers sounds like he might have been clinically paranoid. After "a weekend of partying", it would be a reasonable starting point to assume that it was at least partially drug induced.

It's really sad that he died. The whole situation sounds like a mess. Let's not start a riot over it.

technically innocent going by the belief of "innocent until proven guilty"

ReputationRep:
    Remember your getting the point of view of bereaved and traumatised family members. Generally the IPCC are pretty good so I'm going to leave judgement until later on or until the IPCC finish their report.

Then again it only goes as another warning not to f*** and mention firearms when dealing with the police.

Real shame he died though and if someone is to be held accountable they damn well better be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pedmond)
    Remember your getting the point of view of bereaved and traumatised family members. Generally the IPCC are pretty good so I'm going to leave judgement until later on or until the IPCC finish their report.

Then again it only goes as another warning not to f*** and mention firearms when dealing with the police.

Real shame he died though and if someone is to be held accountable they damn well better be.
    Actually the IPCC are pretty crap when it comes to investigating the deaths of people in their custody, they said that none of the officers involved in the death of Smiley Culture needed to be question under oath.

ReputationRep:
    He shouldn't be getting into any trouble at all. The police arrested him for a reason. It's his own fault he died. Shame on the parents too.

ReputationRep:
    I really dislike stories like these, they spread hatred for the police force therefore leading to people in this country forgetting how good, disciplined and decent the members of our police force are compared to pretty much all others across the planet.

The guy who died shouldn't have been getting involved in trouble in the first place, and the article is from the viewpoint of the parents who are indefinatly going to look at the police in dismay.

Yes it isn't nice he died, but really, these things happen and the police don't deserve the amount of stick they will recieve from the public because of this story and others.

ReputationRep:
    Hardly an independent version of events is it?

It would be like me saying gobby wannabe hardman gets brought down a peg or two by the Police. Not exactly a massive loss to the world is it?

Before you make a judgement it's important to hear both sides of the argument.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mockery)
    I really dislike stories like these, they spread hatred for the police force therefore leading to people in this country forgetting how good, disciplined and decent the members of our police force are compared to pretty much all others across the planet.

The guy who died shouldn't have been getting involved in trouble in the first place, and the article is from the viewpoint of the parents who are indefinatly going to look at the police in dismay.

Yes it isn't nice he died, but really, these things happen and the police don't deserve the amount of stick they will recieve from the public because of this story and others.
    Who is the girl in your sig?

ReputationRep:
    So, even from his parents point of view he had mentioned a fire-arm, resisted arrest, was psychotic (from drugs in everything but words), and rang 999 then hung up without saying anything.

Seems fair enough to want to speak to him from my point of view. Easiest way to do that is arrest him considering his behavior. It doesn't state a cause of death, but would anyone put money against it being a combination of stress, alcohol, and drugs?

ReputationRep:
    lol guardian

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pedmond)
    Generally the IPCC are pretty good so I'm going to leave judgement until later on or until the IPCC finish their report.
    Lol, have you or anyone you know ever had to report an incident to the IPCC? They're terrible.. A large proportion of the police are criminals in uniform, but the 'boys in blue' won't face any repercussions! Surprised this even made the papers- nearly all incidents go unreported and ignored. Disgusting.

Here come the negs from the disillusioned, naive TSR's..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sammy93)
    Lol, have you or anyone you know ever had to report an incident to the IPCC? They're terrible.. A large proportion of the police are criminals in uniform, but the 'boys in blue' won't face any repercussions! Surprised this even made the papers- nearly all incidents go unreported and ignored. Disgusting.

it happens when you're a hardman resisting arrest as if you're boss. Doesnt justify it but the more you stress the police, the more they get tension, the more they get aggressive, they're only humans afterall.

They arent exactly angels are they? You call them criminals for using physical force? what do you do, ask the guy nicely?

ReputationRep:
    Of course we must remember this guy is only 'innocent' from the whole 'innocent until proven guilty' policy, which means if the police actually get someone who isn't innocent and they cannot prove to the Guardian's readers that they aren't innocent then it's another 'police state', 'dictatorship' nonsense.

I doubt pepper spray and batons were drawn on someone who was clearly appearing to not cause any trouble, but whatever floats your boat, Guardian readers. I also agree that it isn't fair to assume he is necessarily at fault for his own death, but there are always misunderstandings where people appear to be causing trouble when they aren't and it isn't clear that they aren't. I'm sure if this guy was innocent he would have had a lot of opportunities to make his innocence and willingness to cooperate with the police apparent. There's no point resisting even if you have done nothing wrong because you will be assumed to be hiding something or resisting for a valid reason.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sammy93)

I wanted to +rep you, but I used all my rep points negging everyone else in the thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tut.exe)
    it happens when you're a hardman resisting arrest as if you're boss. Doesnt justify it but the more you stress the police, the more they get tension, the more they get aggressive, they're only humans afterall.

They arent exactly angels are they? You call them criminals for using physical force? what do you do, ask the guy nicely?
    If only people faced police brutality/ corruption when resisting arrest! What about throwing people walking down the streets (they may be 'hoodies' but I don't think that changes anything), into a police van, sticking a bag over their head, beating them up then chucking them out?

How about lying in court and planting evidence on innocent people, so they get sentenced for terrible crimes, including murder, that they did not commit? Go on innocent.org.uk, it makes for interesting reading for people that think only criminals face this corruption.

I used to think like you - it's much easier to bury your head in the sand. But once you've had close friends go through these situations, your perspective changes. I really think it's one of the worst things about this country - it's not even like the evidence isnt out there. Its just being ignored.

Both of these cases have happened to people I am very close to.

ReputationRep:
    Strange how the "innocent until proven guilty" seems to apply the other way round for the police. There are obviously bad apples in every barrel but we're hardly in a Police State ffs.

I'm not making a judgement about the case because I don't have all the facts. It's laughable that some are only too quick to condemn (either way) when they don't have them either. What we do know has been fed by a newspaper with a known agenda. That's likely to include a degree of bias in the reporting wouldn't you think? Same as it will be when the Daily Mail does it's thing

ReputationRep:
    Why do they get to use pepper spray when its illegal for others to use... Especially when they are trained officers and there are 11 of them, thats quite ridiculous, i see no reason for 1 man to be a threat for 11 men unless he has a weapon, this guy was running for his life and the story makes it seem like he was hunted down by these officers, the beating is not justified since there were 11 of them.... Another life wasted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tut.exe)
    you restrain woth sufficient force when theres 11 of you and 1 of them, the beating was not needed....

If 11 normal people beat a criminal theyd be the ones facing charges, the officers are obviously protected over these thing.....

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.