The Student Room Group

Mother 'sacrificed' daughter to Allah

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by kiss_me_now9
No, her psychosis was the cause for this crime. Mental illness affects a person with no regard for their age, religion, height, colour, weight, nationality or whatever :rolleyes:

Very sad for all involved :frown:

Her psychotic belief in Satan and evil spirits.
Original post by Martyn*
Her psychotic belief in Satan and evil spirits.

No, her psychosis. She could have a psychotic belief in a clown at the end of the bed and carry out the same action - the direction of it makes no difference.

Maybe it stemmed from a superstitious/religious background but no-one here is qualified to speculate like that.
Reply 62
No, her psychosis. She could have a psychotic belief in a clown at the end of the bed and carry out the same action - the direction of it makes no difference.

Maybe it stemmed from a superstitious/religious background but no-one here is qualified to speculate like that.

This is not a clown in this case, but Satan and evil spirits, no doubt indicative of her religious beliefs.
Original post by Martyn*
She removed the eyes from toys and videos, covering over the eyes on covers of DVDs and books. And she talked constantly about evil spirits and the belief that her daughter was possessed.

Sounds like her superstition in evil spirits was the cause behind this wicked act.

Sounds like you're trolling or thinking like an idiot.

Neither of which would surprise me.
Original post by GamingEconomist
I'm muslim and when i saw this story i almost cried she was mentally unstable and it wasn't anything to do with Islam...

Original post by JohnC2211
This is to do with mental instability, not religion.

This. The fact that she's Muslim has nothing to do with it, the poor woman clearly was suffering a severe mental health condition that wasn't picked up. I feel sorry for her, her daughter and the rest of the family. :frown:
Reply 65
Original post by concubine
Sounds like you're trolling or thinking like an idiot.

Neither of which would surprise me.

But you're obviously apologising for bad religion.
Reply 66
Original post by LipstickKisses
This. The fact that she's Muslim has nothing to do with it, the poor woman clearly was suffering a severe mental health condition that wasn't picked up. I feel sorry for her, her daughter and the rest of the family. :frown:

She believed that her child was possessed by evil spirits. She believed in Satan. Her superstitious beliefs were behind her decision to commit this horrific act on her own child.
Original post by Martyn*
But you're obviously apologising for bad religion.

Yeah. That must be exactly what I'm doing.

Hating on religion definitely isn't the reason I've been banned 3 or 4 times.

How do you even get those red rating things? I mean, I get warnings and bans all the time, but my **** stays green. And I get an awful lot of negative rep **** too. I guess I just make people luls too often, and say things that are ****ing true.

JUSTICE PREVAILS.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 68

I'm only going of what it says in the report.
Reply 69
Yeah. That must be exactly what I'm doing.

Hating on religion definitely isn't the reason I've been banned 3 or 4 times.

So what? What difference does that make?
Original post by Rebellious-Steve
From people with mental disabilities, yes.

That's disgusting and ignorant. A study was done, and people without mental illnesses are more violent than those who do. The stories that get reported are always about violence, because "mentally ill man recovers, gets married and is a great dad" doesn't sell newspapers. Plenty of mentally ill people are great parents, and to deny them the right to children is awful.
Reply 71

How do you even get those red rating things? I mean, I get warnings and bans all the time, but my **** stays green. And I get an awful lot of negative rep **** too. I guess I just make people luls too often, and say things that are ****ing true.

JUSTICE PREVAILS.

People just don't like or don't agree with my opinions. Simple as that.
Original post by Martyn*
She believed that her child was possessed by evil spirits. She believed in Satan. Her superstitious beliefs were behind her decision to commit this horrific act on her own child.

If it wasn't that, it would have been something else. Psychosis causes the sufferer to detatch from reality, athiests can become psychotic and believe the tooth fairy is poisoning their morning tea. It's not an illness only seen in religious people.
Original post by Martyn*
This is not a clown in this case, but Satan and evil spirits, no doubt indicative of her religious beliefs.

Yes but if she was a Christian and claimed Jesus had appeared in her toast telling her to do it, there would not be a problem. As someone pointed out earlier, there is no mention of sacrifices in the Qu'ran and Allah himself averted a sacrifice.

This envokes images of a more primal religion such as the Southern American ancient religions of the Mayans and Incas. If you want to argue religious beliefs.
Reply 74
If it wasn't that, it would have been something else. Psychosis causes the sufferer to detatch from reality, athiests can become psychotic and believe the tooth fairy is poisoning their morning tea. It's not an illness only seen in religious people.

But she was religious.
Original post by Martyn*
People just don't like or don't agree with my opinions. Simple as that.

But people hate mine all the time too.

I guess the difference must be that even though lotsa people disagree with me, what I say is nearly always true, whereas you spout complete crap all the time.
Reply 76
Yes but if she was a Christian and claimed Jesus had appeared in her toast telling her to do it, there would not be a problem. As someone pointed out earlier, there is no mention of sacrifices in the Qu'ran and Allah himself averted a sacrifice.

This envokes images of a more primal religion such as the Southern American ancient religions of the Mayans and Incas. If you want to argue religious beliefs.

Yes, there would be. I care not what is or what isn't in the Koran. It is perfectly clear, at least as far as the report goes, that the mother believed that her daughter was possessed by an evil spirit. Had she not belieevd this, she would have no reason to kill her daughter. The motive is thus clear: her superstitious beliefs in demonic possession drove her to carry out the horrific act on her own daughter.
Reply 77
But people hate mine all the time too.

I guess the difference must be that even though lotsa people disagree with me, what I say is nearly always true, whereas you spout complete crap all the time.

That's a bad guess. I've had 10 positive reps in one of my posts and I've not seen any change in the rep counter. It's always remained -5 on the counter regardless of how many pos-reps I get.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Martyn*
But she was religious.

The fact she was religious didn't cause her to do this though, so it's irrelevant. She had psychosis.
Reply 79
The fact she was religious didn't cause her to do this though, so it's irrelevant. She had psychosis.

Okay. I'll be fair. The mother had gone to Egypt in 2009. Where did she get the idea that her child was possessed by a demon? And did this belief exacerbate her psychosis?

But...she only developed the pyschosis in the winter months of last year.

I rest my case...I think.

Egypt is a very superstitious place. The belief in angels and demons is quite prevelant here amongst the Muslims community, as well as in the Christian Koptic community. Was she mentally unstable before or after her trip to Egypt?
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest