Turn on thread page Beta

Applying Without A-Levels: What are the chances? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi all ,

I am currently a third/final year student of a Diploma in Performing Arts at Sunway University, Malaysia. I am two weeks away from completing my last semester. I am considering applications for English in the UK with my Diploma. I am a Distinction student with an overall average of 75.14%, and my strength lies in theory/essay-based modules offered in the programme like Performance Studies; Thought & Writing; Play & Screen Writing; Script Analysis; Acting & Text; Modern Theatre; Cinema, Modernity & Montage; World Cinema; Theatre Theory, History & Practice; and Media & Communication (along with other practical modules in theatre and film).

I've started this Diploma straight after completion of my O-Levels equivalent (SPM). As a result, I did not acquire the A-Levels/IB qualifications preferred by most UK universities.

May I know what my chances might be to be considered for application?

I know that this is a risky academic qualification, and I am willing to supplement my application with one or two A-Level papers taken from my local British Council (of which I am considering NEC, or plain ol' independent study if possible).

I have no idea what a 75.14% (Distinction) would mean to admissions in UK universities, but as I know of, my Diploma's assessment system is similar to that of UK universities, and I have been told by my Head of Department that my current percentage is considered impressive. I really hope it is!

Apart from my studies, I am always thinking about stories and implementations of literature in various mediums, in the most general sense of the word. I am sure that I will thoroughly enjoy a Degree in English, and would probably be happy spending my entire life sitting in the middle of a circle of heavy tomes. I am awkwardly out of place anywhere else XD.

I am thinking of applying to Oxford and Warwick. I am also still deliberating between York, Exeter, UEA, Bristol (as I am told that their entrance requirements are more flexible than most) and as my safest option, Bathspa University.

Thank you for reading! Apologies for the rigid tone. My noggin is fried from hours of reading up university application articles.

Regards,
    Carmen Thong

ReputationRep:
    What degree do you want to apply for, undergrad or postgrad? Because it sounds as though you already have an undergrad degree and I'm confused as to why you'd want to take pre-undergrad level qualifications.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, the best thing to do is to get in touch with the appropriate departments for the course you are interested in at Oxford, Warwick and other unis, and ask them. They are much more likely to know than us.

ReputationRep:
    A Diploma is somewhat a pre-undergrad level qualification. I am applying for an undergraduate degree .

I have sent e-mails to the respective departments, but they are probably busy and might take awhile to get back to me... I am hoping to meet the deadline of 15 October, so while waiting for their replies I thought I should ask around .
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I don't know about your other universities, but Oxford specifically state that 'Sijil Pelajaran Malaysia (SPM/Certificate of Education) or Unified Examination Certificate (UEC) would not be sufficient for candidates to make a competitive application' (source). And since English is a highly popular degree anyway, that would probably mean that you wouldn't stand a realistic chance, sorry.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, I'm not applying with just SPM... That's sort of like my GSCE. I still have my Diploma-level Distinction...

ReputationRep:
    The best thing to do would be emailing the universities you want to go to first hand. Basically say what you said to us, but to them.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, yeah I suppose I'm being overly anxious.

Will be awaiting their replies...

Thanks everyone .

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 2, 2011

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.