Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Thought it might be worth making a thread for all us politics/international relations applicants can discuss courses, personal statement and entry requirements.

So, where are we all applying to?

ReputationRep:
    I'm going for International Politics/Relations @ King's College, Sheffield, York, Edinburgh and ........ I face a dilemma which to choose - Queen Marry or Royal Holloway..

Do you have any other suggestions worth considering?

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm apllying for various courses ranging between Politics, International relations and Modern History

Do you think putting books like The Prince and Leviathon in my personal statement is a bit useless? Bearing in mind they are viewed as more philosophical tomes, or are they relevant enough?

ReputationRep:
    Reading previous threads of last year's applicants, I noticed that many of them applied to 5 different courses - politics alone/IR alone/International politics/politics with IR etc with the same personal statement..... can you do that?

ReputationRep:
    Hoping to apply to Lancaster, Sussex and Essex for Philosophy and Politics, Royal Holloway for Politics with Philosophy and Aberystwyth for International Politics (Major)

ReputationRep:
    Hoping to apply to Leeds, Sheffield and loughborough however not sure about the rest. Possibilites are York, Newcastle, Surry, Liverpool, Aberdeen. Any sugestions?

ReputationRep:
    Applying:
    Cambridge: PPS
    Durham: Politics with a year abroad (AMERICA!!!!)
    Warwick: Politics and International Studies (with hopefully a second year in.... AMERICA!!!!)
    York: Politics and International Relations
    King's: International Politics

You can kinda tell I'm keen to spend time in America. Applying deferred as hopefully I'm spending my gap year in California :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Hoping to apply to Durham, Edinburgh, Sheffield & Liverpool, I just need a 5th with ABB requirements for my safety! any suggestions of somewhere decent?

ReputationRep:
    applying to
    exeter: politics and ir
    kent: politics and ir
    warickolitics and ir
    kings: international politics
    royal hallowey: politics and ir

ReputationRep:
    Applying to read PPE, A*AA-AAA entry requirements - choices, etc. in my sig.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by topiwopi)
    Hoping to apply to Durham, Edinburgh, Sheffield & Liverpool, I just need a 5th with ABB requirements for my safety! any suggestions of somewhere decent?
    Newcastle? Southampton? UEA?

ReputationRep:
    Applied for Politics/Political Science (I wish they'd choose on or the other ¬_¬) at Sheffield, Lancaster (with year abroad!), Birmingham, Manchester and Sussex.

Part of me wishes I'd been slightly more ambitious with my choices tbh but I'd also be more than happy to go to any of these universities so y'know, swings & roundabouts.

ReputationRep:
    Applying for joint honours politics and sociology at: york, sheffield, leeds, exeter, and a five choice that I need to decide on. Maybe aberdeen?

typical offers range from AAB - BBB, predicted AAA, but in crap subjects. It should all even out.

ReputationRep:
    I am predicted 37 and was thinking of the following:

1) Bath: Politics with Economics (38)
    2) King's College: International Politics (36)
    3) Extere: Flexible Combined Honours/PPE (34-36)
    4) Royal Halloway: Economics, Politics & International Relations (35)
    5) Sussex: Economics & Politics (34-36).

Could I risk S Andrews or Edinburgh? They both ask 38 (My PS is not banal: 2 summers spent doing voluntary work in Peru, at 15 I ranked 12th in fencing (in Italy) among those my age, I set up my boarding school's first debating society). Thanks for all advice you can give me (I came to the Uk for the IB, but I'm Italian and my College does not helps us out much for applications)

ReputationRep:
    I am predicted ABC and am applying to:
    Loughborough: International Relations (ABC)
    Reading: Politics and International Relations (BBB)
    Oxford Brookes: International Relations/Sociology (BBC)
    Winchester: Global Studies & Politics/American Studies (240-280 points)
    UWE: International Relations (300 points)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steevee)
    Well I'm apllying for various courses ranging between Politics, International relations and Modern History

Do you think putting books like The Prince and Leviathon in my personal statement is a bit useless? Bearing in mind they are viewed as more philosophical tomes, or are they relevant enough?
    If you can say something good about them, I don't see why not. Most politics courses have a fair few political theory and philosophy modules, and if that interests you, it'll be good to show it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying for Politics with business management at Stirling and Aberdeen university.

ReputationRep:
    Predicted a 44 (7776)

Applying to:
    Cambridge: PPS
    King's: International Politics
    UCL: Politics with EE studies
    LSE: Government
    St. Andrew's: IR

I know that grades are not enough by themselves to get me in, but I am relying on some political experiences as well...

I wasn't worried at all before I clicked that Send button on UCAS, but now I am freaking out...

Good luck, all!

ReputationRep:
    got A*AA

applying to

durham - politics and international relations
    st andrews- international relatiosn
    kcl - war studies

and i need 2 more trying to decide between exeter, sheffield and edinburgh.

got any suggestions?

ReputationRep:
    I'd go for Sheffield and Edinburgh.

But why don't you put LSE on that list as well? I assume your GCSE's are fine considering your A2 predictions.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 8, 2012

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.