Turn on thread page Beta

Electromagnetic induction Q watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    A flat circular coil of 120 turns, each of area 0.07m^2 is placed with its axis parallel to a uniform magnetic field. The flux density of the field is changed steadily from 80mT to 20mT over a period of 4seconds. What is the EMF induced in the coil during this time? A) 0, B)130mV, c)170mV, D)500mV

(answer in back of book: B)

So, what I did was: flux = BxA = (20-80)x10^-3 x 0.07m = -4.2x10^-3
    EMF = change in flux/ change in time = -4.2x10^-3/4 = -1.05x10^-3 (which is obviously incorrect)

Help much appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekha2611)
    You have miscalculated the value in this step. Btw, as the qn is asking for the emf, a scalar quantity, you should use the bigger value to deduct the smaller value to yield a positive value.

The final value will not be exactly 130 mV, but close to that.

A flat circular coil of 120 turns, each of area 0.07m^2 is placed with its axis parallel to a uniform magnetic field. The flux density of the field is changed steadily from 80mT to 20mT over a period of 4seconds. What is the EMF induced in the coil during this time? A) 0, B)130mV, c)170mV, D)500mV

(answer in back of book: B)

EMF = change in flux/ change in time = -4.2x10^-3/4 = -1.05x10^-3 (which is obviously incorrect)

Help much appreciated
    You have forgotten to take into account the number of turns.

ReputationRep:
    Where do I take into account the number of turns - when calculating flux?

ReputationRep:
    Either when the question requires you to calculate the magnetic flux linkage or the emf, also the rate of change of magnetic flux linkage.

Your calculation using the area of the coil and the flux density of the field passing through it is for ONE turn of wire. You have 120 turns, each with the same flux passing through it, and each getting the same induced emf.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 1, 2011

University open days

• University of the West of England, Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon - Frenchay Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of East London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    School of Education Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.