Turn on thread page Beta

Friends at uni? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I've just moved away to uni this September and I'm living in halls... I'm a friendly and talkative person and I'm getting on all right with the people in my halls, we go to dinner and go out together but I don't feel like I 'click' with anyone, for example, I can't imagine moving into a house with any of my hall mates next year...

Has anyone else had this problem in the past or is having it now? What did you/can I do about it?

ReputationRep:
    You'll probably find that once everything settles down after Freshers you'll start to see who you really connect with, everyone will be getting into a routine and feeling more comfortable with their surroundings so it'll be easier to properly get to know people.

Also you'll meet people on your course who will be more like-minded as you will be studying the same thing! And you'll be working together with them a lot which will bring you closer. I was feeling like this until someone pointed out to me that it's only the second week! Don't start worrying about who you want to live with next year, you have months to decide that!

ReputationRep:
    It's also possible that you will eventually click with the people. Maybe the change is bothering you, and once you've settled in and got used to the people you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    You can't really form a strong relationship with a person in a week. To click with someone and consider moving in with them next year takes time. After freshers, and when people have properly started their course, then you'll make stronger friendships.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheIllusionist)
    I've just moved away to uni this September and I'm living in halls... I'm a friendly and talkative person and I'm getting on all right with the people in my halls, we go to dinner and go out together but I don't feel like I 'click' with anyone, for example, I can't imagine moving into a house with any of my hall mates next year...

Has anyone else had this problem in the past or is having it now? What did you/can I do about it?
    Just seen another thread by someone feeling the same which helps illustrate my point. I'll repost what I put on that thread:

I've been feeling the same. For a while it's been puzzling me but I think I may have worked out why. I think that normally when you start at a new school, you may know people from your old school. If you don't then you won't feel really lonely during the 'settling in' period anyway, as you have your family to chat to when you go home. At uni, your family aren't around when you go back to halls so you notice the lack of social contact at times more. You have to realise that everyone else is in the same boat at uni. Talk to anyone you like and don't feel awkward about asking to meet up with people if you get talking to them as they won't know people well yet either. That's what I've started doing anyway

Don't get too down

ReputationRep:
    in need of help myself, anyone going to greenwich school of management?
    have just moved in lewisham today, very hard making friends, feeling leftout, in need of rescuing.. all heroes apply !
    sorry to like ask for help on top of someone else's but i thought it linked, tbh at least you have people you call mates... xx

ReputationRep:
    People you live with dont need to be your best friends. Can you live with them for a year without feeling the need to kill them? Then thats good enough. You will click with all sorts of people, and even then you may not want to live with them.

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.