Turn on thread page Beta

The girl who I really like is a Taurus and I'm a Capricorn. According to the internet we are near enough the perfect couple? Is this true?

Thanks

(Original post by Anonymous)
    The girl who I really like is a Taurus and I'm a Capricorn. According to the internet we are near enough the perfect couple? Is this true?

Thanks
    Depends. Are your personalities compatible?

Don't set too much store by those things; if you do, you might write off the perfect woman just because her stars don't align with yours.

ReputationRep:
    No, Star Signs are bull****

(Original post by Tootles)
    Depends. Are your personalities compatible?

Don't set too much store by those things; if you do, you might write off the perfect woman just because her stars don't align with yours.
    Definitely, we are into the same kind of stuff and really get on.

I understand what you mean, but the stuff it says is so right. I never used to believe in horoscopes but this week they seem to be all right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J0kerman2)
    No, Star Signs are bull****
    I hate people who say this.

Actually, we used to have an old book about star signs in our house years ago, and my mum's, dad's and brother's star signs matched their personalities almost perfectly.

So no, they're not bull****. Maybe the horoscopes for particular days/weeks are bull**** (some weeks, I have been told I will 'find true love' lol), but not for people's personalities (on the most part).

(Original post by sil3nt_cha0s)

Actually, we used to have an old book about star signs in our house years ago, and my mum's, dad's and brother's star signs matched their personalities almost perfectly.

So no, they're not bull****. Maybe the horoscopes for particular days/weeks are bull**** (some weeks, I have been told I will 'find true love' lol), but not for people's personalities (on the most part).
    My star sign matches me perfectly. Well yesterday and today's horoscopes kind of matched what had/has happened so far :P

Definitely, we are into the same kind of stuff and really get on.

I understand what you mean, but the stuff it says is so right. I never used to believe in horoscopes but this week they seem to be all right.
    This week, out of your whole life... get a grip, will you?

ReputationRep:
    My star sign matches me perfectly. Well yesterday and today's horoscopes kind of matched what had/has happened so far :P
    My mum is a Pisces and dad is a Scorpio

http://www.starsigncompatibility.inf...ationship.html

For Scorpio and Pisces love can be instant at first sight and long lasting ...

Scorpio and Pisces compatibility is one of the best of all possible matches and this could easily lead to love, marriage, children and the life long soul mate you desire ...

Scorpio and Pisces relationship and understanding of each other will be so strong making it work should be easy going on both sides.
    so lol @ the person calling star signs bull****

(Original post by Tootles)
    This week, out of your whole life... get a grip, will you?
    I don't look at them usually at all but this week I was bored lol

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't call it bull****

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sil3nt_cha0s)

And I hate people who fall for astrology BS

Thats called a Barnum statement...generic "facts" that seem to be specifically about you but in fact apply to virtually everyone.

Stuff like "You sometimes feel anxious about the future" or "You daydream a lot".

A psychologist called Forer once gave the following horoscope to a bunch of people...

"You have a great need for other people to like and admire you. You have a tendency to be critical of yourself. You have a great deal of unused capacity which you have not turned to your advantage. While you have some personality weaknesses, you are generally able to compensate for them. Disciplined and self-controlled outside, you tend to be worrisome and insecure inside. At times you have serious doubts as to whether you have made the right decision or done the right thing. You prefer a certain amount of change and variety and become dissatisfied when hemmed in by restrictions and limitations. You pride yourself as an independent thinker and do not accept others' statements without satisfactory proof. You have found it unwise to be too frank in revealing yourself to others. At times you are extroverted, affable, sociable, while at other times you are introverted, wary, reserved. Some of your aspirations tend to be pretty unrealistic. Security is one of your major goals in life."

Il bet that sounds like it fits you? It certainly matches me (not all of it, but a lot of it anyway). When Forer gave people this and asked them to rate it out of 5, the average score was 4.2.

Its incredibly easy to fool people with astrology. They make fortunes every year conning people

ReputationRep:
    i hope not.....i am pisces and my boyfriend is libra,and apparently they are not so good for eachother.... O.O''

ReputationRep:
    The only possible reason why star signs might have any indication of compatibility is if birthday timing can affect significantly the relationship. I doubt it very much. Astrology has been scientifically proven to be invalid.
    I have a better reason why you should be together...because you like her!!! If star sign determines compatibility, then 1/12 of people in your age range are apparently perfect for you and the rest arent

ReputationRep:
    I know common sense says that star signs and such are a load of crap. But actually I've generally found them to be a quite accurate prediction of someone's personality, and how compatible they are with other star signs. I don't buy into the weekly astrology predictions, because that is total crap. But star signs seem to defy logic. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RedDevilThing)
    I know common sense says that star signs and such are a load of crap. But actually I've generally found them to be a quite accurate prediction of someone's personality, and how compatible they are with other star signs. I don't buy into the weekly astrology predictions, because that is total crap. But star signs seem to defy logic. :confused:
    This might be an example of positive bias; you might have ignored all the times people you know together who arent compatible but when you know people who are you recall their "compatibility" and so remember it as significant. Also there are enough people (unfortunetly) who believe in this that it increases the number of couples who are "compatible". For the rest, we all have personalities encompassing various traits that astrologists can use barnum statements which will work for the majority of the population.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deltabomber)
    This might be an example of positive bias; you might have ignored all the times people you know together who arent compatible but when you know people who are you recall their compatibility; and so remember it as significant. Also there are enough people (unfortunetly) who believe in this that it increases the number of couples who are compatible. For the rest, we all have personalities encompassing various traits that astrologists can use barnum statements which will work for the majority of the population.
    I'm not saying I believe in it, I'm just saying I've found it to be accurate in quite a few cases. I've by no means gone round testing all my friends to see if it matches because it would be pointless to do so.

I don't consider it significant either way if it correctly or incorrectly predicts compatibility. I don't pay much attention to it if I'm honest.

Also, the sentence in bold doesn't make any sense to me.

I get what you're saying about all-encompassing statements describing personality, and I do agree to an extent. But I've seen star-sign descriptions that are quite specific and accurately describe one or two people I know.

ReputationRep:
    If you met a hot girl who you got on with and shared similar interests with, but your star signs weren't compatible, would you give her up as a bad job?

Engage judgement, man.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 2, 2011
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.