Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm on a trip with three others. Or I was. Last night was their last night because I couldn't get on same flight as them, which was 0910 this morning and my flight is tomorrow afternoon - they messed that booking up too but thats another story. Not really my friends, more like travel buddies I met through someone else - they all know each other well though...

We paid for two rooms, two people to each room. A shared with B and C shared with me. A paid for the refundable deposit for both rooms.

Last night A comes to me and surprises me with a demand for cash for something holiday related that was booked before we left the UK. First I'd heard of it and it ruined my budget as I had carefully planned how much I'd need for last day as I didn't want a load of leftover useless local currency. But if I owe it, I owe it, so I paid up.

A and B go to bed. They all have an early check out at 5 am as the airport is miles away, and I'll still be sleeping, since my flight is in the afternoon the day after. C says to me that I should give her the deposit money for one of the rooms because they won't be able to get the deposit back on the room that I'm still sleeping in and thus have the key to. I give C the money, thinking I'll get it back when I check out. It was to be enough to pay the deposit on another room, then when I checked out a day later, feed me for the day, pay for transport to the airport 80 miles away and some food for an intercontinental flight of many hours duration.

I went to check out five hours after they left, at 10 am. I needed to check out and into a single room at another place because otherwise I'd have to have paid full whack for a night in the double room that I was previously sharing.

I handed the key back and the desk tells me that A who originally paid the deposit insisted that all the deposit was returned as she paid it - even though one room was still occupied by my sleeping self, and I still had the key. The hotel did so, returning the whole deposit paid by A and under A's name, to A.

Thus I have nothing. At first I think the hotel are trying to rip me off by only returning half the deposit to A, but telling me they gave it all back, but A says they have the whole deposit. Somehow the fact that C has my half of the deposit is not communicated in the check out discussion, admitedly early and maybe not all thinking straight.

So now I'm in a bit of a pickle. I have no money but small change and I have to pay a deposit - room was already booked and paid for on my card, I just need a cash deposit for the key. The cash machine only has large notes. So not only have I lost out on the deposit, I'm going to have to take the hit on my bank account with the withdrawal cost plus charges, meaning I've a load of leftover currency at the end which is useless to me as its way more than I need for the day.

Have only really spoken to A about this so far who says not her problem because she paid the deposit and thus expected to retrieve all of it. But I can't believe there wasn't some sort of discussion (actually, given the way they practically ignored me throughout the trip, maybe I can) about the fact that I was still in the room with a key and one of them had my deposit money, perhaps they were not with it that early in the morning, who knows.

Any advice? I know its a bit long, sorry

ReputationRep:
    you've learnt a hard lesson.
    Nothing to be done now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nettles)
    Not really my friends
    True, that.

ReputationRep:
    If I understand it correctly you should demand your money back from C when you get back. I think you're learnt a hard lesson here and that's the fact these people are as friendly as rabid dogs.

ReputationRep:
    They hustled you good and proper.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 1, 2011
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.