Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have just set my laptop up to act like a router so I can create a wireless connection for my phone.

As you can see the options are configured in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmha-rFlYhk

Does this mean my network is unsafe and open for anyone to go on? It uses the university Wired network, so im assuming my laptop is turning that into wireless.

ReputationRep:
    If their's no password then their's a good chance.

ReputationRep:
    Just do the same as in that video but choose to put a password in when prompted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RightSaidJames)
    Just do the same as in that video but choose to put a password in when prompted.
    It just keeps saying I need a valid network key when I select the WEP option.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey)
    It just keeps saying I need a valid network key when I select the WEP option.
    WEPs typically have to be an exact number of letters/numbers long, so make sure it "fits" properly. It should say beneath where you're asked to input it how many characters it should be.

ReputationRep:
    Use WPA instead?

ReputationRep:
    Doesnt seem to want to work now at all, even on open.

ReputationRep:
    It's possible, of course, that your university has measures in place to stop you sharing their connection over a Wireless network. Mine did.

ReputationRep:
    WEP is trivially broken, so should be avoided wherever possible.
    If you do use a password, make sure that it's long, pseudo-random and absolutely not in a dictionary.
    *If* you do the networking correctly, the wireless network will not be exposed with respect to the university network, and hence, it will be undetectable.

I don't have the bandwidth to spare on youtube videos so I've not watched that.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.