Doctor Who- Episode 13- The Wedding of River Song- 1/10/2011: - No Future Spoilers Watch

Poll: How did you rate this week's episode?
Excellent (69)
37.7%
Good (70)
38.25%
Poor (31)
16.94%
Awful (13)
7.1%
Kagutsuchi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by morematterlessartx)
Not sure why you have said that; I was talking about the doctor kissing river -they returned to the beach at the moment they kissed, so I got the impression the kiss was supposed to be significant?
Well yes, what you said was that the kiss was meant to be between River and the doctor since it was meant to be significant. I talked about the robot doctor being integral because the robot doctor is the thing which is most important in the timeline - the robot doctor was shot, not the doctor, therefore the robot was what needed to touch river, not the doctor..

Ok yes you're right they put in a magic robot which can do anything a few episodes ago, in other words an easy unoriginal plot device :rolleyes:
Hey, I like that robot, don't diss the robot. :mmm: It's not that bad - we have a box which can travel through time and space and you're finding it difficult to accept a transforming robot thing? :tongue: Besides, who is to say the robot didn't break from being shot? For all we know, those shots could have caused it severe damage and the doctor got out of there in his tardis after adequately fooling those in the area.

Oh I see what you mean, I guess I was hoping for something more satisfying- they have built this up for a long long time and I don't think turning round in the last 10 minutes of the series and going oh you thought this because we told you it but actually it was something else is very engaging.
Well did any of us actually believe the Doctor would really die? Really? Especially with the next season announced well before the final episode of the series.

I liked it. At least Rory didn't die.
morematterlessartx
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Kagutsuchi)
Well yes, what you said was that the kiss was meant to be between River and the doctor since it was meant to be significant. I talked about the robot doctor being integral because the robot doctor is the thing which is most integral in the timeline - the robot doctor was shot, not the doctor.
Yes I understand that but I thought by touching their time lines took them back to the fixed point- I suppose I didn't think a robot had a timeline.. Also I think it's a bit weird to have a wedding between a robot and the love of the doctors life just so she can be told that the doctor actually inside a robot, why bother with the wedding- why kiss? It was supposed to be an emotionally climactic moment but once we know it was a robot it seems really random.

Hey, I like that robot, don't diss the robot. :mmm: It's not that bad - we have a box which can travel through time and space and you're finding it difficult to accept a transforming robot thing? :tongue: .
Oh but that's precisely my problem, we already have huge potential for wonderful and inventive story telling because of the unique set up- we have a box that travels through time, surely that should be a sufficient basis for clever and original story telling! I don't struggle to accept the robot, I just acknowledge it for what it is, a lazy plot device...

Well did any of us actually believe the Doctor would really die? Really? .
In a word, no.

How on earth is hoping for a clever resolution the same as expecting them to kill the title character? Also may I point out that because, like you said, we know the bbc haven't cancelled doctor who, it was a strange story arc to write in the first place...obviously I had hoped it would turn out to be wonderfully clever and cohesive and that I would be proved wrong.. (I want to love it again, I really do! )

At least Rory didn't die.
True, I'm glad they managed to kick the habit.
Kagutsuchi
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yes I understand that but I thought by touching their time lines took them back to the fixed point- I suppose I didn't think a robot had a timeline.. Also I think it's a bit weird to have a wedding between a robot and the love of the doctors life just so she can be told that the doctor actually inside a robot, why bother with the wedding- why kiss? It was supposed to be an emotionally climactic moment but once we know it was a robot it seems really random.
Well I like to think the Doctor loved River at the point where she said she loved him more than everything in the universe. :yes: For that reason, he decided to marry her... the whole granting him a request thing was just... formalities? :tongue:

The Doctor was controlling the robot. For all intents and purposes, that was essentially the doctor since it's mind and looks were his. The kiss, for me, was the doctor himself and river, despite him being a robot.

Oh but that's precisely my problem, we already have huge potential for wonderful and inventive story telling because of the unique set up- we have a box that travels through time, surely that should be a sufficient basis for clever and original story telling! I don't struggle to accept the robot, I just acknowledge it for what it is, a lazy plot device...
Well you can't love every episode. :nah:

If you think so - I thought it was charming, especially in the kill hitler episode when the doctor was begging river to save amy and rory inside the thing. :yes:

In a word, no.

How on earth is hoping for a clever resolution the same as expecting them to kill the title character? Also may I point out that because, like you said, we know the bbc haven't cancelled doctor who, it was a strange story arc to write in the first place...obviously I had hoped it would turn out to be wonderfully clever and cohesive and that I would be proved wrong.. (I want to love it again, I really do! )
I never said it was?

Well just because we knew the doctor can't have died in the Utah ep doesn't make the arc any less brilliant.

True, I'm glad they managed to kick the habit.
Ditto. When the silence were coming into the room I thought to myself "here we go again :erm:"

I still don't understand why he couldn't take off the eye drive, not look at the silence and shoot in their direction...
Mess.
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Well I like to think the Doctor loved River at the point where she said she loved him more than everything in the universe. :yes: For that reason, he decided to marry her... the whole granting him a request thing was just... formalities? :tongue:

The Doctor was controlling the robot. For all intents and purposes, that was essentially the doctor since it's mind and looks were his. The kiss, for me, was the doctor himself and river, despite him being a robot.

Well you can't love every episode. :nah:

If you think so - I thought it was charming, especially in the kill hitler episode when the doctor was begging river to save amy and rory inside the thing. :yes:

I never said it was?

Well just because we knew the doctor can't have died in the Utah ep doesn't make the arc any less brilliant.

Ditto. When the silence were coming into the room I thought to myself "here we go again :erm:"

I still don't understand why he couldn't take off the eye drive, not look at the silence and shoot in their direction...
Because he would forget that he was meant to shoot in the direction and even what the Silents were to think of them as the enemy. He said it himself I think? Which makes it more ridiculous that after taking hers off Amy knew to come back with a gun and help him.
Kagutsuchi
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Mess.)
Because he would forget that he was meant to shoot in the direction and even what the Silents were to think of them as the enemy. He said it himself I think? Which makes it more ridiculous that after taking hers off Amy knew to come back with a gun and help him.
The silence's whole memory begone trick only works if you look directly at the silence. If Rory doesn't look at the silence, he will not forget why he's shooting when he looks away. Moreover, he could keep looking at the silence and shoot them as long as he doesn't look away.

The whole he'd forget thing was *******s and was just to give Rory a chance to be all selflessly badass again.
Mess.
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The silence's whole memory begone trick only works if you look directly at the silence. If Rory doesn't look at the silence, he will not forget why he's shooting when he looks away. Moreover, he could keep looking at the silence and shoot them as long as he doesn't look away.

The whole he'd forget thing was *******s and was just to give Rory a chance to be all selflessly badass again.
What makes you say it only works when you look at them? As words spoken by characters actually in the show and that specific episode point to what I mused above.
DotComBoom
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I just watched the episode again and I have to say I enjoyed it as much as I did first time around. Plus, I still really love the resolution technique of using the Tesselector.
matrixadz
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It was amazing! :')
Kagutsuchi
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Mess.)
What makes you say it only works when you look at them? As words spoken by characters actually in the show and that specific episode point to what I mused above.
... because the silents' memory proof technique only works when you stop looking at them? Hence the use of the marker pens to inform the unfortunate subject of how many of the silents there are? Their technique was a pretty important plot point in the Nixon episode after all.

Yes, I know Rory said that, but it's bull. Amy was able to return and shoot the silents while looking straight at them. I fail to see why Rory couldn't do the same.
SirMasterKey
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Moleman1996)
You do know you can watch BB1 live on the internet? :confused:
See below.

(Original post by Pthaos)
I feel I need to point out that watching BBC1 live on the internet (Or any other kind of live TV stream on the internet) still requires a TV license by law.
With the only exception being if your laptop is not plugged into the mains for the enture time then it would be covered by your parents TV license.
Snagprophet
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
People who can't accept that he kept saying he had to die, then it was fine when a fake him died it was only because the Silence needed to think he was dead. The reason the Doctor thought he had to die was because everyone's perception was that he had and he believed them. The information he found about his 'death' was not objective information.

Although tbh it could've easily been a flesh being, except they disintegrate when they die.
smoliver
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Did anyone else guess the question correctly then?
xoxAngel_Kxox
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Craig_D)
And "The Question", I'd laugh so much if it was just "Doctor, who?" :rofl:
Guess you had yourself a rather amusing evening, then!
Mess.
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
New sig
Mess.
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by JessicaW)
Where is that from?
I assume it is off the Kevin Bishop Show :beard: Considering she must have been 18 when she did that show she basically spent the whole time doing sex jokes, dressing as a prostitute, wearing bikinis and lingerie. Very weird.
jojospacemunky
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Joseppea)
(Still waiting for Jenny to turn up sooner or later...:holmes:
This has got to happen at some point along those time lines, like River popping up as surely you cant have a replica of you in a female form and not know she is out there or she is looking for 'Daddy'
AutVinceriAutMori
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
... because the silents' memory proof technique only works when you stop looking at them? Hence the use of the marker pens to inform the unfortunate subject of how many of the silents there are? Their technique was a pretty important plot point in the Nixon episode after all.

Yes, I know Rory said that, but it's bull. Amy was able to return and shoot the silents while looking straight at them. I fail to see why Rory couldn't do the same.
It could be because of Amy growing up with the crack in her wall? Can't think of anythig else. Or great big love for Rory that made her return.
coffeelass
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
My love for rory is neverending, that amazing roman... how epic was amy‘s face when she realised she was the doctor‘s mother-in-law...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (158)
17.73%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (77)
8.64%
No I am happy with my course choice (529)
59.37%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (127)
14.25%

Watched Threads